Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW Mini

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Driver Door won't open

My daughter has a 2010 Mini Cooper (2 door, 'Camden' Special Edition) that was having sporadic issues where the door would not open (Needed to squeeze the handle multiple times for the 'unlock' to engage).

By the time she brought it to my attention, it is no longer sporadic and it won't open at all. I did some searches on other sites and it appears I need to take the inside door panel off, problem I'm having is in order to take the inside door panel off, I need to open the door (thinking chicken egg story now)!

Thoughts, creative idea are welcome!

Ted
1980 Porsche SC
2010 Mini Cooper
Old 12-17-2016, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Have you tried both from the inside and the outside?

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 12-17-2016, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Oh a Camden! Got any pictures?

Yes, as Dave said, does the door not open when using the interior handle and the exterior handle? I have run into this question about popping off the door panel from the inside when the door is closed all too many times. When you press the key lock/unlock and interior toggle switch do you hear any noise? Just want to make sure it wont unlock from the toggle switch along with the key lock function to make sure it's not a dead battery key issue. Is this the driver or passenger door, just so we are on the same page?

We have a door panel replacement article here: MINI Cooper R56 Door Panel Replacement (2007-2011) | Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article. Take a look at it and see if maybe it will help you with removing parts to gain access to the door cable and actuator. It might be a very tight area to work and you may not be able to get the entire panel off with the door closed, but it's worth a shot. You definitely need to get in there and see what might be happening as it might be a dead door lock actuator.
Old 12-19-2016, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

@Dave - yes, definitely tried both inside and outside ... have been climbing in the passenger door for the last month!

@Liccia - when pressing the key lock/unlock it works fine, door locks and unlocks. It is the drivers door.

I did some more research online this weekend and found others with the same issue ... all having the same problem of having enough room to get behind the panel (because it won't come off fully without opening the door). It appears the first step is to remove the drivers seat, gaining a bit more room to maneuver. I will plan on spending time next week and will be sure to post a few updates (and pictures ).

Thanks!
Old 12-19-2016, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Just want to make sure I'm reading this correctly. So the door locks/unlocks when you press the key? Why not use the key and then open the door and then pop the panel off? Or do you hear it unlock/lock and the door is just stuck in place and will not budge even when it's unlocked?

Yes, removing the seat will give you more room and might make it more feasible. Definitely document the process as it will be a huge help to others and we also might like to use it for our DIY tech library to help individuals who run into this issue like you. If we use it, you can get 10% off your next parts order with us. Here is some info on that: Enthusiast Tech Article Submissions - Pelican Parts.
Old 12-19-2016, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Yes, when you use any of the 'devices' to lock/unlock the door (key, keyfob, switch on center console) you can hear the car door lock/unlock (both doors). You had me thinking maybe using 'just' the key in the door would magically make things happen LOL!

The problem is, no matter if you hear the door unlocking, when you pull (squeeze) the door handle, nothing happens, door will not open/disengage from car. Same no matter if you do this from the outside or the inside. There has to be some kind of electronic switch that 'opens' the door mechanism when you squeeze the outside handle and/or pull on the inside door opening handle. From other posts it appears to be a cable that has 'fallen' off and/or 'corroded' ... I guess there is only one way to find out, stay tuned.

Hope this clarifies.

cheers ...
Old 12-19-2016, 01:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Now I understand. Yep, I'd check the bowden cable, #9 on the diagram below. Those little guys can cause lots of issues. They can get undone from the actuator or stretch over time. Let us know what you find out when you get the door panel off.

Cable here if needed: Pelican Parts - Bowden Cable

Old 12-20-2016, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
door handle , lock issue