Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW Mini

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

vent tube

Have a 2009 Cooper S with 62000 miles. I'm getting a PCV code. Possible cracked vent pipe from valve cover to crank case. Thinking about removing the valve cover and replacing the vent pipe with something better than its plastic one. Can the pipe be accessed from the lower end is my immediate concern? Thanks from a newbie in South Carolina
Old 12-22-2016, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Welcome to the Pelican community, KCKELLY! What is the exact P code that you pulled from your DME? What symptoms are you experiencing?
Old 12-22-2016, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

P1497 code at oil change. Auto Zone also pulled a code, not sure if it was the same. Tech tip at top said replace PCV valve, vent tube, and grommet. Mini running pretty good, but slight hesitation while idling. Vent tube at valve cover slightly gritty. P.S. thanks for your reply
Old 12-22-2016, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Thank you for posting the code. I have seen P1497 - Downstream Throttle Air Leak - associated with a cracked valve cover. Definitely sounds like your MINI has a vacuum leak. The PCV valve is built into the valve cover of the R56 MINI. It's not a separate part so the whole cover will need to be replaced. We have info on that in this article here: MINI Cooper R56 Valve Cover Replacement (2007-2011) | Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article.

I'd clean off the area where you see oil build up and inspect it in a few days to see if it may be the gasket or the cover itself. Do you hear any type of vacuum leak or hissing under the hood while the vehicle is on and idling? Pop your hood and listen. Review that article above as cracked valve covers are not an uncommon issue with these R56's unfortunately. You can do a smoke test to confirm if it's the cover, but I'm pretty sure the valve cover is going to be your culprit.

If you have determined it is indeed the cover, we have the updated covers from MINI here: Valve Cover 11127646555 - Genuine MINI - BMW - 11-12-7-646-555 | Pelican Parts.

Please let me know if you have any other questions, comments or concerns.
Old 12-22-2016, 02:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Luccia, There is no oil on the engine or valve cover. If I move the vent house at all I can hear and change the idling and sound of the engine. I'll take a look at the link you sent, but have been unable to find anything on the lower end of the vent house coming out of the valve cover. The hose description says from valve cover to lower intake manifold. "Is that the crank case"? Because that's where it looks like it goes. I'm thinking of removing the valve cover anyway, but want to replace and upgrade the vent tube. Just wondering if I can get at the lower end connection? Appreciate any info you may have on the vent hose and whether or not I could use Hydraulic hose for a replacement? May need to go the Catch Can and plug method. Thanks
Old 12-23-2016, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Yes, #1 on the diagram below is the vent hose that connects from the valve cover to the lower intake manifold. It's part of the PCV system (Crankcase-Ventilation). Here is a better image of it and the part: Pelican Parts - 2009 MINI Cooper S Hatchback - Vent Hose. I'd start by disconnecting it and look over it and the connections for any signs of cracks/damage before removing your valve cover. I honestly don't think it's necessary to update it, but if it's your issue definitely replace it. It's a cheap enough part.

Here is where it attaches to the valve cover. This image is figure 4 in the valve cover tech article I linked above:

Old 12-23-2016, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Vent Tube

Thankyou Luccia for the picture of the vent tube routing from the valve cover to lower manifold. Hopefully I can check it out over the Xmas break! I appreciate it
Old 12-24-2016, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Administrator

You're welcome! Let me know if you need any further assistance as I am here to help.
Old 12-27-2016, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: