Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW Mini

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

No Heat from Climate Control System in 2010 Mini Cooper

My wife has a 2010 Mini Cooper with the optional climate control system. This evening we noticed it's not putting out any heat. We raised the temp control all the way to HI and still no heat. Just cold air. What could cause this? Bad thermostat maybe?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 07-14-2017, 10:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Could it be an air pocket in the cooling system? I've had older cars where that was the cause of that kind of thing.

Can you check to see that the controls are working properly? There should be a valve of some kind to run heated coolant into the heater core. Make sure that it gets commanded to open up when you command heat. If not, the controls are suspect. If it does open, and the core stays cool, suspect an air pocket.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 07-15-2017, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Yes, bleed the coolant system and make sure there isn't any air in it. You may want to make sure there aren't any cooling system leaks that could cause air to get into the system. Check your coolant level in the expansion tank. This will help you if you're not sure about its location: MINI Cooper R56 Coolant Expansion Tank Replacement (2007-2011) | Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article. Do you have a CEL (check engine light)? If not and if you do, still plug into your OBDII port and check for faults.

A few more questions: Do you have any fluid leaks under the car or do you see any fluid on the passenger side floor? Is it blowing cool air from the upper and lower vents? Is this all while the car is stationary? Does it blow heat once the vehicle is moving at highway speeds?

If there are no obvious signs of the culprit, you may want to perform a coolant flush of both the radiator and heater core. Your system may have a clog and air in it. The cooling system is an often neglected item on these MINI's.
Old 07-17-2017, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Dave at Pelican Parts Send a message via Yahoo to Dave at Pelican Parts
Another possible leak to look for is discoloration on top of the transmission. I think it's the thermostat housing (kind of a known weak point) that will drip on there, and then the water will evaporate leaving a discolored area.

--DD

A few pics of my car: http://www.pelicanparts.com/gallery/Dave_Darling
Old 07-17-2017, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Discovered that there is a coolant leak. Added coolant and voila the heater is functional again. Looked in the engine compartment and I see wetness in this area. I'm guessing that's near the thermostat housing? Again this is a 2010 Mini Cooper Hatchback. Not a Cooper S.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/w9t0gmi0tatynt4/Photo%20Jul%2017%2C%203%2059%2059%20PM.jpg?dl=0
Old 07-18-2017, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Yep, you're definitely losing coolant. You will want to pressure test the system. This works for both Cooper Base and Cooper S: MINI Cooper R56 Cooling System Leak Test (2007-2011) | Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article. It also has advice at the last figure of what could be leaking in that area so be sure to look it over. Let us know what you find out.

BTW, is that coolant green? You will want to make sure the correct coolant is in your vehicle, which should be blue (I can't tell from the photo). You may want to flush your system if it is green and you're unsure what coolant is in it.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Thanks everyone. It was a crack in the thermostat housing that caused the leak. Replaced with a new one. All is back to normal.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: