Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
I put Pirelli Angel GT on the new (to me) S1000XR, and I gotta say I'm super impressed. They seem to stick really nicely. Haven't had them long enough to prognosticate on tread life so far.

Because I like them so much, I decided to stick with Pirelli on the R1100S. I just ordered a set of Diablo Rosso II since I won't be touring on the R11 anymore. Unfortunately the Rosso III isn't made in the 170/60 size (yet?) but I did get a pretty good deal on the set at about $230 front and rear. Looking forward to see how they stick since I've only ever had more touring-oriented tires on her so far.

BTW, I currently have a set of Metzeler Roadtec 01, and don't love them. About the only redeeming quality they had was they were a little softer than the Pilot Road 4 that they replaced. But the wear isn't great; at less than 6k touring/commuting miles they are severely flat-spotted, and the handling is terrible. Much worse than other tires that have been worn to this point.

So, maybe I didn't help much but sometimes I just like to hear myself talk, OK?

Old 06-30-2018, 06:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Continental Conti Motion on my '99 recently.
$93 Rear
$72 Front
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/
Unless you guys are backin' it in on the streets, I don't see the motivation to pay more.
Edit: Even less $$ now...............
- - Don R. 1994, an excerpt from My Ass From a Hole in the Ground - A Comparative View

Last edited by Don Ro; 07-06-2018 at 12:10 PM..
Old 07-05-2018, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Garage
Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT on my R11S. Wears okay and sticks well. No complaints.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Ro View Post
Continental Conti Motion on my '99 recently.
$93 Rear
$72 Front
https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/
Unless you guys are backin' it in on the streets, I don't see the motivation to pay more.
Edit: Even less $$ now...............
I tried the Conti Motions a few tires back. I was real happy with their performance but they only lasted me about 4500 miles. Michelin PR's last me around 9500 miles. They cost me twice as much as the Conti's but I get twice the miles and only have to change tires once every 9000-10,000 miles.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

^^^
My '99 has less than 9k miles. I don't ride it much anymore. Have 5 others.
And I just might be twice your age, sonny. My "ricky racer" days have long gone.
- - Don R. 1994, an excerpt from My Ass From a Hole in the Ground - A Comparative View
Old 07-17-2018, 12:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Ro View Post
^^^
My '99 has less than 9k miles. I don't ride it much anymore. Have 5 others.
And I just might be twice your age, sonny. My "ricky racer" days have long gone.
I doubt that. I'm 62 and still ricky racer at heart..
Old 07-17-2018, 12:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

I got ya by 10.
Now go to bed, sonny.
Ride safely!!!
Best,
Old 07-17-2018, 12:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Registered Agitator

Garage
How in hell do you get 10k out of a tire? I couldn't ride that soft if I had a fleet of cops following me. I'm lucky if I don't go through 3 sets in that distance. Even the couple times I tried sport touring tires I couldn't get 5k out of them & couldn't wait to dump their slippery asses & get back to a real sport tire.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

"How in hell do you get 10k out of a tire? I couldn't ride that soft if I had a fleet of cops following me. I'm lucky if I don't go through 3 sets in that distance. Even the couple times I tried sport touring tires I couldn't get 5k out of them & couldn't wait to dump their slippery asses & get back to a real sport tire."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky racer View Post
I tried the Conti Motions a few tires back. I was real happy with their performance but they only lasted me about 4500 miles. Michelin PR's last me around 9500 miles. They cost me twice as much as the Conti's but I get twice the miles and only have to change tires once every 9000-10,000 miles.
The "performance" moto tires I've experienced over the years (and years) have not lasted long.
Not uncommon.
Maybe why they "perform" well...they give themselves up and then...time for a new set.
And the beat goes on.
BTW, the Conti Motions replaced a damn near new set of 'Stones.
Just aged and dry, is all.
I've done some stupid things in my days but riding hard on dry moto tires was never one.
As you were, gents.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Barback King

PR4's will not disappoint on an S.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post

Old 07-20-2018, 11:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
I have to respectfully disagree. The only spec available for the 5" wheel is the GT version, which is a lot firmer than the normal version. I really didn't love it. The Metzelers I had afterwards rode so much nicer, but suffered from underwhelming handling and weird wear patterns. Someone just needs to make a perfect all-around tire!
Old 07-22-2018, 08:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

I was told the PR4 GT was too stiff for the S. The PR4 Trail comes in the 170 width. The same source said it could be paired with the standard PR4 front for the S. Has anyone tried this combo?
Old 07-23-2018, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Barback King

Well, if it's some good performance you want without regard to wear, put on a set of Michelin Pilot Power 2CT's. They go for a good price for a pair.
170/17 here
Old 07-24-2018, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Different tire on the back? when the R11S first arrived in the USA. Some came with Bridgestone BT 56 FG on the front and BT 57 FG on the rear. Back then it was my favorite. Then they dropped it for the R11S. Then they were
only OEM for the R1150R. F/R were both BT 56 FG. Still good tires Then they were gone. just a bit of back in the day trivia, tjs
Old 07-24-2018, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
'07 R1200S

Garage
I was a big fan of the PR3s on my R1100s. I also liked the Metzler Z6ís on my VFR. They were always $100 cheaper (a pair) than the Michelinís. I would ride them now (or the Z8ís) on the R1200S, but I seem to recall they didnít come in the correct width for the rear
Old 07-24-2018, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDav View Post
I am doing something wrong. Only 12.5k on the odometer and I am on my third set of tires.
Big Dav,

You're doin' it right: having TOO MUCH FUN!!
Old 07-25-2018, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Has anyone ever run Metzler M7 RR tires?? A friend that knows says they are very good.
Old 07-25-2018, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

Garage
I had a 2004 R1100S, mandarin yellow and titan gray, the best tires I ever had on it were the Bridgestone battleax 3, what a diff in handling, it actually made it feel lighter in the turns and handling, my sone got me to switch I used to use the standard metzlers, and have tried a lot of other combos, what a diff these battleax made, highly recommend, unless you are using a sport bike to tour, but if you want to use it as a sport bike these made a diff.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)

'Stones seem to always be a little lighter tire...I've used them often.
My '99 came with BT56's and I loved them...put another set of BT something (?) on after that.

Old 07-29-2018, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
conti continental , metzeler , r1100s , tires