Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

R1100S Tire Recommendations

I finally found and purchased a 2004 R1100S with only 9650 original miles. It has Metzeler ME Z4 tires. The rear failed inspection and the front has some limited life in it. They could be the original tires. I can't find ME Z4 tires anywhere. In the past I've run M1 and M5 tires on my R1150RS and loved them. I can't find sets of either of these. Just left over 120/70 M5 fronts. I have the standard rear rim requiring a 170/60 17 tire. Do people have recommendations for replacement tires? Mileage is only a limited factor. I'm not a super fast rider but want grip I can feel confident in leaned over or braking. If I did switch from Metzeler, I do see good write ups on the Continental Conti Motion tires. Suggestions? Thanks.
David

Old 06-27-2018, 03:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
If you are looking for a tire that falls into the Sport Touring category vs a Super Sport tire... I would recommend either the Pirelli Angel GT or the Metzeler Roadtec 01. They are both available with a 120/70-17 front and a 170/60-17 rear. Some people really like the Michelin Pilot Road series (PR4 or new Road 5), but I've never personally run either of those. Just my 0.02, getting those old, worn, rock hard tires off and replacing with any modern tire is going to make a world of a difference.
2003 R1100S BCR #73
1998 R1200C
1966 R50/2
Old 06-27-2018, 03:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered Agitator

Garage
Don't feel trapped into a 170 rear tire, a 180 runs just fine on the 5" rim. I ran one for years until I got a 5.5" rim. Only difference I noticed was at extreme lean at speed I was more on the edge with the narrow rim. Also I don't ever run sport-touring tires anymore as I prefer to stick to the road rather than slide on it.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I think the general consensus is that the newer sport touring tires are better in rain and have all the grip you need unless you're doing 10/10ths at the track. Pick your flavor - they're all supposed to be good: Pirelli Angel GT, Michelin Pilot Road 4/5, Metz Roadtec, Bridgestone T30/31, Dunlop Roadsmart 3. I installed Dunlops about 3k miles back and am happy so far.
Old 06-27-2018, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Actually except for not passing inspection as the wear bar has just barely reached the surface the ME Z4. I prefer more sport oriented tires as I rather give up a little mileage for better grip anytime. Don't really have a lot of time for touring and hate expressways.
I do find the larger size rear tire still available in the M3 and can get the matching front. Any reports on the Roadtec Z8 M compound? As good as the M5's I loved?
Old 06-27-2018, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Wear bars or not, get the date code from the tires. The general recommendations is a 6 year limit. Most shops will use 5 years, 3 years is safer, I think, but they don't usually last that long anyway.
Old 06-27-2018, 07:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I'm sure they were due for replacement but just wanted to pass on that on a ride yesterday, I couldn't have asked for more. Easy drop in, great grip and breaking. Pure joy.
Old 06-27-2018, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered Agitator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrym View Post
I think the general consensus is that the newer sport touring tires are better in rain and have all the grip you need unless you're doing 10/10ths at the track. Pick your flavor - they're all supposed to be good: Pirelli Angel GT, Michelin Pilot Road 4/5, Metz Roadtec, Bridgestone T30/31, Dunlop Roadsmart 3. I installed Dunlops about 3k miles back and am happy so far.
Who's consensus, a group of old men afraid to go fast on a bike? There is no comparison between a sport tire & a sport touring tire, you don't need to do near 10/10th's to feel the difference by any stretch. Give me more grip every time even if all I did was ride straight up all the time.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Suggestions on a set of sport tires? That's what I'm after. Which 180 rear tire did you run on an R1100S?
Old 06-27-2018, 09:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoodwin View Post
Who's consensus, a group of old men afraid to go fast on a bike? There is no comparison between a sport tire & a sport touring tire, you don't need to do near 10/10th's to feel the difference by any stretch. Give me more grip every time even if all I did was ride straight up all the time.
Oh, that's good. Old guys. My experience is that the old guys are usually at the front of the pack while the 'other' guys are left not only behind, but often crumpled up in the bushes trying to keep up.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

A “best tire” thread is as dangerous as a “best oil”thread! Wasn’t going to contribute but heck why not?

Tires are a subjective decision! There is little objective information about tires, magazine tests, manufacturers websites and especially forum boards are pretty much all just opinions.

Here’s my experience and opinion...

Am currently riding a set of Continental Sport Attack 3s and they do everything I need a tire to do! Ride twisty stuff in New Mexico and Colorado, most of which are connected with long bits of straight road. At most a ride is three tanks of gas or about 450 miles. Will ride about 5000 miles this year and hope to ride these tires the entire season, maybe not? As it’s often used as an accepted measure of aggressive riding the “Chicken Strips” are about 3/4 inch on the left and about 1/2 on the right. Clearly I favor turning right, something about staying away for the centerline...

Are the Continentals better than any other sport tire or sport touring tire, I don’t know! Not sure my skill level, even when riding different tires back to back I’d be able to tell the difference.

Could have I bought a set of Sport Attack 2s and been happy? Sure, there are few revolutions in tires designs these days, tires evolve. Went with the newer version because I could afford them and Continental was offering a gift card.

My advise,

Shed your old tires, new tires = new motorcycle!

Buy a brand you’ve liked and had good fortune with. Buy a tire that suits you riding style along with your road and weather conditions. Be realistic about how long you want your tires to last and don’t shy away from last years models especially if your on a budget or the tire company is offering a rebate or gift card.

Tires these days are ALL pretty amazing, good luck!!!

Last edited by swen1200; 06-27-2018 at 10:11 AM..
Old 06-27-2018, 10:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoodwin View Post
Who's consensus, a group of old men afraid to go fast on a bike? ...
Undoubtedly. I actually prefer to just sit on mine in the garage and go "VROOM, VROOOOM". Tires last longer too, even sticky ones.
Old 06-27-2018, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Gasteropod Rider

Garage
I have used a bunch of Michelin tires. Power is awesome but very short mileage for my riding style is not cost effective. 2ct is good but not as good and yields equally bad life.

On the touring side road2was fine but not impressed with rain performance. Road 3 was better but I didn't like the profile with a very non linear angle in turns and some exaggerating upright standing during trail braking.

I am now running Dunlop roadsmart 3 and I am very impressed. You get 90percent of a 2ct with the durability and rain performance of the pr3. Will probably get that again next
Old 06-27-2018, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I'm getting 10K miles out of the rears, more with the front with Michelin PR4. The handling, wet or dry is impeccable at any lean angle. In some tire discussions, they are what the other tires are compared to. They STICK. But, they cost more, too.
Old 06-27-2018, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
sɹǝʇndɯoɔ sǝʇɐɥ

Garage
I've been riding with Bridgestone S21s lateley BUT i did have a set of Michelin PR2s on
there earlier. I feel I rode more aggressively with the PR2s for some reason... either
way the PR2s had decent grip and longevity.
Old 06-27-2018, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
I'm getting 10K miles out of the rears, more with the front with Michelin PR4
I am doing something wrong. Only 12.5k on the odometer and I am on my third set of tires.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered Agitator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidbea View Post
Suggestions on a set of sport tires? That's what I'm after. Which 180 rear tire did you run on an R1100S?
Right now I have Bridgestone S21's(180/55), they stick well & roll into corners versus fall in as the Michelins would. Have maybe 2-2500 on them & they are just starting to flat in the center as I have to hunt corners here. Dual compound front, 3 on the rear, we'll see how far they go. I would get around 3500-4000 on the Michelins, less in the mountains but at least the edges would die with the center. I have these on my zx-14(190/55) & Aprilia(190/50) also & they work well on all, no problems when I decide to wick them up.
Old 06-28-2018, 02:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

On my previous BCR I went from Metzlers to Michelin PR4 when the PR4 was still fresh on the scene. It was a complete transformation of the bike's handling. It was easier to ride more aggressively in the canyons. I'm a dry weather rider, can't vouch for PR4 performance in the wet.

My current BCR has fresh Metzlers. I'm debating whether to wait for them to wear or just go straight to PR5.
Old 06-29-2018, 05:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to tomvv11
Just put PR4s on a couple thousand miles ago. Used mostly to commute, in the rain they give no unpleasant surprises. Had to get the GT for the rear as the regular only comes in the 180 size. Don't know if the slight extra stiffness helps or hurts as I haven't had a chance to tour or to flog it in the mountains yet, but the bike feels fairly sure-footed pushing it around curvy ramps and evading car-commuting texters.
Old 06-29-2018, 10:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDav View Post
I am doing something wrong. Only 12.5k on the odometer and I am on my third set of tires.

What brand and model tire are you buying??

Old 06-30-2018, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Tags
conti continental , metzeler , r1100s , tires