Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
04 R1100S

Red face Found a Fuel Leak

Hi all,

I started my bike today and 04-R1100S and found a fuel leak coming out from under the right side fairing and dripping down the side of the engine. It looks like it is coming from high up in the fairing. I have not yet removed the tupper ware to determine the exact location. Is there anything I should have on hand such as New Fuel line materials and clamps?

Thanks Forum Gurus'

Slick...
Old 07-11-2018, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Hi,
Difficult to say until you see where it comes from. You may need anything from a gasket to new clamps or hoses.
At the lower inner right side you’ve got the fuel pump and filter inside the tank, so you’ve got hoses clamps and a gasket there.
If it comes from the upper side it can only leak thought the filling neck gasket or a leak in the tank, but hoses run through the inside of the tank down to the filter and pump.

Guess you need to take out the Tupperware as the hoses are fuel-immersed rated and don’t come cheap. Take a look and report back

Good luck!
Old 07-11-2018, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I would take a look at it before I bought anything. You may just need to tighten a clamp.

Do you have BMW-supplied quick disconnects? those are known to be a little fragile.
'07 CBR600RR
Old 07-11-2018, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
My 04' would drip on 1st start after its winter "hibernation" (lasts 5 months here in Syracuse!) but then stop and be fine for rest of the riding season. Did it 2 years in a row so I decided its time to investigate. Found that both the supply and return lines were very brittle and needed to be replaced.
Bit the bullet and replaced fuel filter and lines inside tank as well as external supply, return,drain and vent, don't forget "O" ring . Mine didn't have quick connects and at $75 I didn't add them. As my 04' has a manufacture date of 12/02(?) these are maintenance items. Job is not too bad if you take your time and follow some of the great information supplied here. Worst part for me was having to pay $70 for the 2 formed hoses inside the tank but after 4 BMWs I should be used to it. Good Luck!
Old 07-12-2018, 03:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

If you have to buy new disconnects, don't waste money on the BMW ones. Buy the best:
https://www.racerpartswholesale.com/category/Motorcycle_Jiffy_Tite_Fuel_Line_Disconnects
Old 07-12-2018, 04:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Brent

Garage
yeah I have put the quick release fittings on some rt's
there is less space for them on the s
easiest just to get a good set of clamps and the hoses will slide off if pushed from the end
I use snap ring pliers so it doesnt score the plastic pipes.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Glad I am not the only one. Mine was a leaking sending unit o-ring
Old 07-12-2018, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
04 R1100S

Thanks for this information Guys. Ill dig into it and report back. I Love this Forum!

Slick....
Old 07-13-2018, 08:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Twin Thumper, IYKWIM

Garage
I can almost guarantee you it’s one of the fuel supply/return hoses. The ends of them begin to crack with age, and they’re fine most of the time, but eventually a minor drip develops, and it’s a huge fire hazard.

I didn’t know I had a minor fuel leak like yours, when I was rebuilding my bike last year. Went to start it — after a month of work swapping the engine — without the header pipes on, and WHOOMP! The exhaust ignited the drip, and a little fire started right up near the wiring bundle under the fuel pump.

I had to do some minor repairs on some smaller wiring bundles, replace a bunch of heat shrink, but overall it was ok. I trimmed off the brittle ends of my fuel lines, buttoned it back up, and rode it for 10k miles...

…until, one day, after a 45–minute freeway ride, it sprung another leak at a traffic light. Minor smoke came pouring out from under the fairing, but no fire had caught, thank god.

TL;DR — get yourself 3ish feet of brand new BMW fuel hose. Do it right.

Last edited by punkassjim; 07-19-2018 at 05:01 PM..
Old 07-19-2018, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: