Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
LSL Handlebar Kit Question

Hey guys - I scored an LSL kit and wanted to install and give it try. I can always go back to my original set up with barbacks, so no worries there. I looked up the older posts about this kit, but I have a question I didn't see an answer to.

If I already have the clipons bars with barback risers set up now (obviously above the triple clamp), will I still need the extended brake line for this kit? Or will my current front brake line be long enough for this LSL kit ? I ask because my current set up already had an extended line since the handle bars are already higher. The older posts I read about this kit install addressed it on bikes with the lower bar, under the triple clamp setup. Just wondering if I have to replace my line still and if so, how much longer I need before I start digging into this.

Thanks.

Hudson
00 R1100s
Old 08-08-2018, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Spiegler US can probably answer your question, but you may need to know your existing line length. I recently replaced my OE lines (have RD barbacks), and they recommended going with a longer line. Not sure how it equates to the lines they ship with their handlebar kits > LSL Handlebar Conversion Kits
2004 R1150S
Old 08-08-2018, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
'07 R1200S

Garage
I had already installed a Spiegler kit before I decided to try the LSL kit. I do not recall having to get a longer one. Let me look back through my pictures and see.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Ok Thanks hellfishtat. I emailed Spiegler as well.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I am late to this thread but I also installed the Spiegler kit prior to installing my LSL setup.

Incidentally after picking up a GS as a stable mate I returned my R1216$ to using heli-bars. The LSL bars just seemed out of place last spring when I took her to a CSS event at Barber Motorsports Park.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I don't see any heli-bar riser kit for the 1100s. Forgive me if this sounds ignorant, but is any of these kits compatible with the the 1100s? Thanks,
Old 08-15-2018, 06:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I believe that there was a kit manufactured by Suburban Machinery that would relocate the bars on the R1100S above the triple tree clamp. Sorry but it has been a while since I owned and rode an R1100S.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Hudson24, you can move by the bars above the yoke if you want to and have a more upright riding position. However it is likely that you will need longer brake hoses. The clutch should be okay. A chance to replace the original hoses and have fresh fluid?
Old 08-15-2018, 09:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks guys - I do have my bars above the triple clamp already and even have the barbacks. The riding position is great for most of my riding, which is 2-4 hrs each weekend. Not sure about longer trips that I am planning in the near future. That is why I thought about this LSL kit which I can always take off and put my clips/barbacks back on. Again thanks for answering my questions.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Barback King

Only way you'll actually know about brake hose length is when you get the kit I'd reckon.
My barbacks require a longer hose at the handlebar (about 3-3.5") ONLY for bikes that came from the factory with Low 'Sport' bars an NOT ABS.
Might want to consider that if it's my 'backs you have...
Old 08-29-2018, 10:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: