Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

NEW UPGRADES and IMPRESSIONS!!

Hey Guys!!

So I made a few upgrades to my r1100s yesterday!

What I added:
Power Filter
Induct
Matched R1200GS injectors
Short Paralever
Shorai Battery

What was already on the bike:
Laser Exhaust
Laser Chip
EV6 Injectors
Blue filter
Ohlins Front and Rear

Now for the impressions:
I guess for the money I spent I wasn't very impressed to be honest. Although I haven't done any highway riding yet so the induct and filter probably haven't been fully tested. Bike ran amazing before and it still does. I really can't feel a difference with the stuff I added. Now if I was going from bone stock to now then yeah it would be night and day. But when I just upgraded my upgrades to be the best of the best........not much difference in the seat of the pants dyno than what I had before. Maybe a little more throttle response. But again I haven't tested the top end of things just yet.

The battery is pretty awesome. It's like it's not even real lol.
Power filter is a very nicely machined piece!
Induct looks great but I had some fitment issues. Even with the smaller battery installing it was a B. The holes in the tube and filter didn't line up......pretty much all the holes didn't like up with any holes on my bike so I had to modify and drill new holes and put in washers. It was a process!!!
Paralever arm........I couldn't tell a difference really but I already had Ohlins.

Only other mod I would consider is Lightweight wheels since I know they will make a difference! I mean I've done pretty much everything else lol.

Best upgrade so far is the Sargent seat. I feel a part of the bike, not just on top of it!
Old 08-10-2018, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Thanks for sharing and being candid! Interesting take. I have a full Remus exhaust system on my bike as the only mechanical mod (if you don't count cannisteroscopy). I am still mulling over whether I should hang onto the BCR, but if I do the SJ Powerfiltet, Lennie's intake and AF-xied would be the only mods I would perform. That equates to roughly $1000 in mods, which is a worthwhile cause on a 2004 bike with 3700 miles.

I am surprised at the poor fit of the intake. Was it Lennie's piece? I don't recall coming across any complaints on his parts. Would I have trouble fitting it with a stock battery in place?

My previous BCR had AF-xied installed and its functionality was very noticeable. But after reading about rather small gains from the limited list of possible upgrades (not yours but in general) to the R11S, I am thinking of why not just upgrade to the R12S?
Old 08-11-2018, 05:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Well like I said if the bike didn't already have the upgrades already installed on it then I'm sure it would have been a much more noticeable gain. I don't know what a stock R11 feels like so I'm kinda spoiled I guess lol.

If I didn't love the looks and feel of the r11 I would probably go with the r12 but I think that thing is just UGLY lol.

Mine is a 99 so maybe that had something to do with the fit. I'm not sure but the opening of the intake was just a tiny bit bigger than the SJ filter so I can issues with that and then the holes in the tabs were off just enough I had to drill into the holes to get it to sit right. It was a long process lol. But once on it does look great!! I'm still contemplating the AF-xied.........my bike doesn't run rough or anything and is smooth already so I'm not sure.

I wish I had someone close that had a stock or one with an AFxied that I could try out...but in Iowa there isn't hardly any of these lol.

If you are going with the induct then I would really consider removing the tank or having someone help you hold it. I did it alone and that was probably more than half the frustration.
Old 08-11-2018, 08:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

What is a power filter?Having said that what is a blue filter.?

EV6? GS injectors?

If you have a newish Ohlins then surely their is a ride height adjuster so no need for a short arm

But!! And it’s big but I see no means of adjusting the fuelling with the extra air going into the motor,with the demise of the PC it will have be an Af- Xied forget the Laser chip about as much use as a hole in the head.

I added each part separately so I knew what the input was from each part start adding more than one upgrade at a time never know what is going on or did you

One thing is for sure something isn’t right because when I rode a stock Boxercup x2 I was amazed how far i’d Come with mine too the point I changed the gearing in the end.
Tiger 955
R1100s
Old 08-11-2018, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

So are you saying i need a an afxied? The power filter from San Jose bmw and the blue filter from wunderlich....basically a k&n.

Injector rehab has a kit to put the new injectors in our bikes that are technologically superior and better atomization.

Yeah i have the newer ohlins. I figured the new paralever would shorten the wheel base.
Old 08-11-2018, 11:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chsmith112 View Post
So are you saying i need a an afxied?
What i’m Saying you have thrown a lot more air into the motor curtesy of the SJ and Lennies Induct so the fuelling will be all over the place so unless you can find a secondhand PC you’re option is either the AF-Xied or a John Gemini chip.

I started with an open exhaust system,then fitted Lennie Induct when trying it for the first time I banged it off the Rev limiter and never done it since,then fitted the SJ another improvement with how the motor breathed,sadly in those days aftermarket fuelling was the speaciality of Quack’s and I waited for the intro of a PC.

It took me from a hole in the fuel map the size of the Grand Canyon to something that ran all the way to the redline in half the time.

As for the para arm have an original Ohlins with no ride height adjuster if it had I wouldn’t have bothered with short arm.

I also have the later injectors which came from Germany not so noticeable but a subtle
Improvent.
Tiger 955
R1100s
Old 08-11-2018, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
For me, the biggest noticeable improvements I made were:
-Suspension
--Wilbers shocks (6mm longer in rear)
--10mm shorter Telelever arm
--PVM wheels
Engine
--Schrick cams
--Remus exhaust
--matching chip for all the other mods (think this is what Chris is talking to, all these changes without matching fueling is probably not right)

Of course I've done more than just these but these were the biggest hitters. I didn't do the afxier since I re-chipped my Motronic.

Good luck...
2014 Ducati Hyperstrada - fun touring bike
Old 08-11-2018, 02:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

So since i have the laser chip should i just go with the afxied? Or just get a gemi chip?
Old 08-11-2018, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

My previous BCR had stock exhaust, intake, etc. It also had the built in flat spot from 4-4.5k rpm to satisfy US emission requirements. AF-xied fixed that issue. I have John's chip still sitting in the envelope and might try that before shelling out more ducats on the AF-xied.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
So since i have the laser chip should i just go with the afxied? Or just get a gemi chip?
Try both and let us know

As you are finding out it’s not just about trawling threads and just jumping in,look at BTTB post about his suspension!!!

I started 18 years ago with stock,then bought the Bm sport sus same realationship front to back ,took the front off fitted stock steered quicker but the tranny didn’t like it.

Took the sport off the rear and fitted an Ohlins with a Verholen arm and it worked well.

Took the stock front off and fitted an Ohlins hated it with a passion and took it off and put the stocker back on,compared to the hassle I had with the very first pair of wheels from Dymag made for my 1100 the above was the easy part.

With the demise of the PC for the 1100 sadly we are on the way back to the dark ages of ‘my backside dyno says it’s better’ compared to a dyno run.
Tiger 955
R1100s
Old 08-12-2018, 02:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
In Closed Loop a Gemi chip still runs at 14.7:1, so no fueling benefit to the half map you run in most. Also, there is no data on where final fueling ends up. The gemi chip does advance the timing some, but again ?? How much.

The AF-XIED richens the entire dueling map by the percentage you set on the dial. The added fuel in the Closed Loop half of the map improves smoothness and reduces EGT and cat temp and adds a little power. Through adaptation, the Open Loop half of the map is also richen, which smoothes out the engine and adds a bit of torque in places.

When you richen the mixture from stock, it ignites faster advancing the pressure peak a few degrees, which has the effect of advancing the timing.

Last edited by Roger 04 RT; 08-12-2018 at 03:16 AM..
Old 08-12-2018, 03:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I quickly looked for a plot of typical fueling log take during a 15 minute ride on the road. It shows the AFR during a trip after installing an AF-XIED or an LC-1/2. In it you can see that the average fueling is around 14:1 but you can still make out acceleration enrichment and deceleration enleanment. The average could have been set lower to 13.8 or so, 14.1:1 is what this rider chose. I have some other plots if anyone is interested.

Old 08-12-2018, 03:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Is that the sales pitch over!!! Thereís another part of the Pelican for that.
Tiger 955
R1100s
Old 08-12-2018, 05:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

You’ve misunderstood my enthusiasm for lambda-shifting technology, these aren't my products and I don't sell them.

The above is technical data I collected while I experimented with O2 sensor shifting for my own bikes and my friends. I’ve also taken lots of riding AFR data from other products and technologies to see if they do what’s claimed.

Last edited by Roger 04 RT; 08-12-2018 at 06:53 AM..
Old 08-12-2018, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Perhaps it would be more use to the OP by showing him your 1100s with with Lennies/SJ filter/Af-xied although I would point out compared to a PC all the AF can be described as is an adjustable fuelling spoofer.

Iíve tried similar on another bike and then gone to a PC and their a monumental difference but with the demise of the PC needs must
Tiger 955
R1100s
Old 08-13-2018, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

What about a rapid bike controller
Old 08-13-2018, 08:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Canning View Post
Perhaps it would be more use to the OP by showing him your 1100s with with Lennies/SJ filter/Af-xied although I would point out compared to a PC all the AF can be described as is an adjustable fuelling spoofer.

Iíve tried similar on another bike and then gone to a PC and their a monumental difference but with the demise of the PC needs must
I actually think it would be a good idea for someone with an R1100S and the Lennies/SJ filter mods to add an Innovate Motorsports LC-2 to their bike in place of the stock O2. Iíve helped many riders do just that. Then we can take riding logs at 14.7:1 and other mixtures to see which was best.

Itís an easy job if youíre handy with a wrench and a computer. I just added an LC-2 to my 1150GS. It took me about 3 hours all in.

A side benefit is that it would allow us to see how much air is added by those mods by noting whether there was any leaning after, compared to before.
Old 08-14-2018, 03:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Since the winter I have been reading up on the various options to get the fueling correct. Mostly on other forums to do with the GS.
Some days I think I understand the science and then somebody posts something that scrambles my thoughts and I’m back to square one!
Your explanations on other places are great Roger but I get to the point of not being able to follow it all, especially your chats with John Gemi. I probably over think it, but I do like to know what’s going on.
Anyway, despite the bad exchange rate I’m about to order the AF-XiED from BBY as my bike has the various mods done to it so it surely must be running too lean. I had a recent tour of over 1000 miles and it ran well, but I feel I’m pushing my luck so the AF-XiED should help matters.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger 04 RT View Post
...add an Innovate Motorsports LC-2 to their bike in place of the stock O2. Iíve helped many riders do just that. Then we can take riding logs at 14.7:1 and other mixtures to see which was best...
I'm very interested Roger, sounds good to me...
Old 08-14-2018, 03:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger 04 RT View Post
...add an Innovate Motorsports LC-2 to their bike in place of the stock O2. Iíve helped many riders do just that. Then we can take riding logs at 14.7:1 and other mixtures to see which was best...
I'm very interested Roger, sounds good to me...
Old 08-14-2018, 04:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: