Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Bike wonít start after gas tank reinstall

I took off the tank to do the Servo brake bleed on my r1100s. When I put it all back together it would crank over but never fire up. I did lay the tank on its side while working on the bike, fuel pump side. Maybe a gallon of gas in the tank at most. The battery is 8 years old and doing the brake bleed did probably drain it some. Now itís pretty low after trying to start it. But on the trickle charger. I did not have it on the charger in the last month.

Any suggestions? Worked fine when started 2 weeks ago. Could I have messed up fuel pump lines with tank on its side?
Old 08-24-2018, 09:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to tomvv11
Does the fuel pump spin for a second when you turn the ignition on? That's polite for are you sure you reconnected the pump electrics. Could you have reversed the Out and Return fuel lines on reassembly? A gallon of gas should be enough for the crossover hose to get some to the pump even if you had it all over on the left side of the tank when it was on its side.
My recent No Start turned out to be an internal tank hose that slipped off the end of the fuel filter, so zero fuel pressure. You can unbolt and slip off an injector and aim it at a piece of paper while turning over the engine. If you get strong rhythmic spritzes, your gas should be okay, and it would be time to check out spark or starter. Is your battery charged enough now?
Old 08-24-2018, 10:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Does it have quick disconnects? Are they connected all the way?
'07 CBR600RR
Old 08-25-2018, 12:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
sɹǝʇndɯoɔ sǝʇɐɥ

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbh1 View Post
The battery is 8 years old
I suspect sorcery^

Your battery may slowly dying and voltage is under the threshold to support running /
ignition but enough to crank the engine. This is pretty common and also wouldn't be
the first time it's been reported after doing unrelated maintenance. You should rule this
out before going deep.
'07 DRZ-400s

Last edited by BikerMiker; 08-25-2018 at 09:29 AM..
Old 08-25-2018, 04:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I did plug in the fuel pump and I hear it come on when the key is on. I do have metal quick disconnects and felt them snap on. But I appreciate the questions because those are good points.

I am going down the street to buy a new oddosey pc680 battery. This one lasted 8 years so itís time for a new one anyways. If that does not fix it I will start trouble shooting. Guess the plastics are coming back off again.
Old 08-25-2018, 05:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Success, I did put a new battery in because it was definitely time for it. When I was taking off the tank one of my quick disconnects was loose and not clicked on. The little side button to release it was touching the other metal housing of the quick disconnect. So I think in the reinstall process the button mightíve got pushed last night, or it happened taking the tank off this morning. So I will never know if it was the battery or the quick disconnect, but all is good now. The bike is new to me but has extensive maintenance history. It had been two years since the last servo brake bleed on the abs module. Wow that is a very lengthy process bleeding all those nipples on the unit. But it is done now. Time to take a ride
Old 08-25-2018, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to tomvv11
*applause*
Old 08-27-2018, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

And the winner is (fanfare of trumpets in Roman stylee) :-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMoore View Post
Does it have quick disconnects? Are they connected all the way?
Respect!
Old 08-28-2018, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: