Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

R1200s fuel pump flange cracks

Hi all been lurking around this great site for r1100 and r1200s information and its rely great to find people with the same passion for these unique bikes.So been smelling fuel for the last month or so and couldn't find the culprit and the weekend i saw were the fuel smell came from.The fuel was leaking from the neck where the quick release female coupling screws into on the fuel flange.Its a 2006 r1200s with 40 000 km on the clock and all the campaigns were done.So how long does these plastic part last in close proximity with fuel.Has any one of you had the same problem ???
Old 08-27-2018, 10:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I’ve never understood how the hell manufacturers ever got away with plastic fuel fittings my early 955 Tiger had them and nearly got us killed when it sheared off while on the road and dumped 5 gallons of fuel over a red hot bike.

My K1200r Sport had the same they become Brittel with age and just break off,i’ve Known them go belly up within a couple of years i’ve Seen other last 10 years plus but you only have to lay a finger on them and they fall apart,i’m On on an IPad so not a clue how to copy and paste so google either Colder fuel fittings or if you buy from the UK Tom Parker fuel fittings

I used Gasoila E Seal on the thread.

In the States Beemer Boneyard do a kit for the K maybe the same for the 1200s but cheap it ain’t if you outside of the US so easier and cheaper to source it yourself.
Tiger 955
R1100s

Last edited by Chris Canning; 08-28-2018 at 12:49 AM..
Old 08-28-2018, 12:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the update. My R12S is also a 2006 with nearly 40k kms and has always had a fuely smell even with a complete fuel pump replacement under the campaign. I couldn’t locate a leak and wondered weather it might just be my fuel tank venting I could smell ... BUT will reinspect particularly the coupling and flange with your report provided. Admittedly i haven’t had any issues with the plastic quick disconnects on my 3 R12’s and have the quality CRC chrome plated brass fittings from Beemer Boneyard ready to go when needed. I have always applied a slight smear of rubber grease to the o rings / fittings, which has kept mine in good working order to date. Cheers!

2010 R1200R
2004 R1200C Montauk
Old 08-28-2018, 03:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

Send a message via AIM to SergioK Send a message via Yahoo to SergioK
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Canning View Post
Iíve never understood how the hell manufacturers ever got away with plastic fuel fittings...
Agreed! My GS had the same issue last year.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
...wasn't me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC909200 View Post
Hi all been lurking around this great site for r1100 and r1200s information and its rely great to find people with the same passion for these unique bikes.So been smelling fuel for the last month or so and couldn't find the culprit and the weekend i saw were the fuel smell came from.The fuel was leaking from the neck where the quick release female coupling screws into on the fuel flange.Its a 2006 r1200s with 40 000 km on the clock and all the campaigns were done.So how long does these plastic part last in close proximity with fuel.Has any one of you had the same problem ???
You should take your bike to the dealer and have them check the VIN - there was fuel flange recall which may have not been carried out on your bike. Based on what you're reporting you should get a replacement if flange is still original to the bike.
While at it, have them check other open recalls like rear wheel flange as well...

Old 08-28-2018, 07:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

My K had a fuel flange recall but that ainít what this about itís the plastic fuel connector as I found out when stripping the bike to fit a new alternator.
Tiger 955
R1100s
Old 08-28-2018, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Hi all thanks for the response i have been talking to a mastertec that left bmw and showed him the pic.He said that bmw should have changed my fuel pump with a newer one and different make from siemens to continental and that the manufacturing date was the same as the bike itself so bmw newer changed the pump but only repaired the thing by putting a metal ring around the neck of the flange.So once again bmw screwed the consumer and guess who has to pay for a new pump assemble.Will to talking to my bmw dealer to per sway him to put in a good word for me at bmw.Will keep you posted.
Old 08-28-2018, 09:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Who ever you have been talking to is wrong all BM did was the metal ring around the flange both on the K and the 1200s non of which has anything to do with the fuel connector and their has never been a recall on that just like there wasnít on my Triumph or the K or your 1200.
Tiger 955
R1100s
Old 08-29-2018, 12:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: