Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Excellent Service - help for a traveller in need

I had an interesting experience this past week that I wanted to share - so I could thank a shop for great service.

20 miles from the end of day 2 of a 7 day trip (and 1000 kms from home) my transmission wouldn't shift. First it stuck in 2nd gear. Then after cooling down for 10 minutes it shifted again. Off we go and all is fine. With 15 miles to go to destination, I had to slow for a turning farm vehicle and again it stuck in 2nd gear. Up and over the mountain at 45 MPH (sometimes more coasting downhill). It frees up just as I get to the hotel. This is all very strange, of course.

We are at our hotel in the middle of BFN West VA. Through the magic of google, I find Virginia Motorrad (BMW motorcycle repair in Charlottesville, VA) is only 100 miles away. I call him, and explain the symptoms, and he doesn't quite believe me, but explains he will take a look at it if I come by.

All other options suck and will be very expensive. in the morning we head out. We make it half way and the transmission is now stuck in 6th. easier than 2nd until we make it into town. Since I was leading I managed to time it through 3 traffic lights before arriving at a need to stop. The light ahead turns red, so I swing into the next parking lot - shared by a hair salon and auto garage. To make a long story longer, a tow truck operator who works with the garage did them a favour to take me the rest of the way.

The experience with Anton is exactly what you would want 1000 kms from home to investigate a problem that shouldn't happen. It turns out he has a bit of a specialty in transmissions.

Cut to the chase - I drop the bike at Virginia Motorrad late afternoon on the 28th - he tore the bike down, rebuilt the transmission, rebuilt the bike, and I picked up the bike at lunch on the 30th. (his schedule happened to be clear).

I was on my way with a working bike when without his service my options included pushing the bike into a river and flying home from Dulles.

Great service from a very interesting fellow.

It turns out the "Shifting Arm" was sticking and didn't allow it to move/engage with the "Shifting Roll"

made it home another ~1800 kms

If you are on or near the Blue Ridge Parkway and need service, I would recommend Virginia Motorrad.
Old 09-03-2018, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Wow, that's really great service, especially with the amount of time it takes to get these bikes all split apart!

Thanks for sharing!
Old 09-03-2018, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Great story! & nice outcome ... considering likely options. When you’re a long way from home and desperate for help, this level of expertise & service is a god-send. Good on Anton & Virginia Motorrad for such a quick turn around & fix.

2010 R1200R
2004 R1200C Montauk
Old 09-04-2018, 01:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Just another cred. for Anton and Virginia Motorrad: great guy and a BMW master
Old 09-04-2018, 04:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Awesome

Would like to find that type of service near me!
Old 09-04-2018, 07:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
sɹǝʇndɯoɔ sǝʇɐɥ

Garage
I had a really good experience like this with Re-Psycle when I was traveling with my
airhead years ago. My flywheel teeth lost a rivet or two causing a tinking / dinging /
rattling sound from the clutch area. I limped it along at 60 mph the next 200
miles or so, fretting about what the issue may be, but finally got to my friends in
Columbus. Found Re-Psycle by chance a dozen miles away. They had me back on
the road in 4 days. Would have been sooner but they take Wednesdays off.
'07 DRZ-400s
Old 09-04-2018, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Anton is great! I just had him rebuild my transmission after my clutch spline failure in my 2004 R1100s. I just started riding the bike again less than 1 week ago.

It shifts the best it has ever shifted in the 46,000 miles I have ridden it. He is great at what he does.

I plan on riding to him from New Jersey to have him re-shim the rear end on my bike.

It is great to hear stories like yours. It exists but is hard to find sometimes.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the kind words. It's actually fun to get diverted onto a new problem and of course it is very rewarding to be able to help a traveler save his vacation week. It's not quite accurate to say my schedule was clear - did the shop look empty to you? - but things can be shifted around in an emergency.

I threw together a very short video showing the part in question: https://youtu.be/-4LwOnHikgk
Old 09-08-2018, 01:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
Thanks for the kind words. It's actually fun to get diverted onto a new problem and of course it is very rewarding to be able to help a traveler save his vacation week. It's not quite accurate to say my schedule was clear - did the shop look empty to you? - but things can be shifted around in an emergency.

I threw together a very short video showing the part in question: https://youtu.be/-4LwOnHikgk
Thanks Anton for helping out a fellow R1100S rider. You're appreciated by many and admired by more than a few.
Old 09-08-2018, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Awesome work Anton!

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Old 09-09-2018, 10:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
It's not quite accurate to say my schedule was clear - did the shop look empty to you? - but things can be shifted around in an emergency.
true enough! Thanks Again..
Old 09-10-2018, 06:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Pedantic Old Woman

Garage
+1. Anton replaced the input shaft in my transmission as well recently. Great service!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchy View Post
Anton is great! I just had him rebuild my transmission after my clutch spline failure in my 2004 R1100s. I just started riding the bike again less than 1 week ago.

It shifts the best it has ever shifted in the 46,000 miles I have ridden it. He is great at what he does.
Old 09-15-2018, 05:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Talk Less, Say More

Location: Moab Utah. Home of wierd red & orange radioactive stuff...
Garage
You guys are lucky to have Anton over there.
If I had someone I could totally trust I wouldn't mind spending the money.

Is the BMW network full of highly trained mechanics nationwide?

If I ever needed serious BMW service, I'm not sure who's good out here. I like the sales guys at BMW Grand Junction but we just talk and stuff, and then I buy new motorcycles. I'm not sure what the service area is like though...
Old 09-15-2018, 07:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Great video Anton.......reminds me of the shift spring on Airheads that would break........if my memory serves me, you could still get them to shift, but you had to flip the bike upside down!

Cheers
Old 09-16-2018, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: