Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Small amount of fuel in the overflow hose

This is bugging me. 04 1100s, very clean runs phenomenal , after a 50 mile run I smell fuel in my shop and I find a bit, drops really, of nice clean fuel just wetting the end of an overflow hose. I have had the tank off recently to bleed/flush the ABS. I moved three hoses, one appears to connect to the ABS caps, one goes to the tank rim drain (I would call it an overflow) and one to a tank breather hose.

I don't know which is which at this point except it is either the breather or the overflow. And , no , I didn't just fill the tank, it was down a good 70 miles from full.

Is there something I should be looking for? I would settle for a good solid " they all do that"
Old 01-09-2019, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

You can blow into the wet hose and see if air comes out at the flap overflow hole or if the air comes from inside the tank.
I think it's the inside tank vent and the clamp is either loose or cracked from being over tightened.
Keep in mind, I haven't stayed at a Holiday Inn lately.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Mine dripped, turned out the hose had deteriorated, and was leaking gas. The cap drain and overflow hoses run through the tank as rubber lines. Mine had cracked down near the pump plate, and would let gas leak into the hose, and the would run out and down. I lost a half tank of fuel in about a month, drip every 30 seconds or so. Those hoses are stupid expensive from BMW, I went to the local Honda dealer, they had metric fuel line rated for in tank use for $12 a meter (enough for both). No leaks since.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks guys. I got some time tomorrow to pull the body work and investigate.

I'm getting pretty good taking off the plastics these days
Old 01-09-2019, 11:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

By tracing it out it is the connection that is closer to the center of the plate, vs the one above it closer to the rim.

If I have to pull the pump plate, (it appears I do) I might as well get a new pump w/26000 miles on the bike.

What else will I need? I have done a number of pumps but on my GS bikes and the S appears different.

Last edited by bykemike; 01-10-2019 at 12:55 PM..
Old 01-10-2019, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Well this is the way this shook out...I looked at everything in the system, took out the pump plate and everything associated with it. The hoses look like they were installed yesterday, nice and flexible, well clamped, nothing at all to suggest an issue.

Except! When I bought the bike the seller must have had one of those tank bags that snaps onto the ring that goes on the filler cap bolts. He must have removed that because, for no reason, 4 of my filler cap ring bolts were finger tight. My theory, at this point , is the fuel was getting past the cap "O" ring and going out into the cap drain tube.

Well at this point, no matter, I am not getting this far into my bike and not putting in new parts so I have the replacement kit coming from the Boneyard with a new pump and everything associated with it.

Ah me, I thought the pump was a little noisy anyway
Old 01-10-2019, 12:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Pump is noisy when fuel level is low. I replaced all of the lines in the tank, and the pump plate bring. I have about 26k miles so I cleaned the pump and screen and put it back in. I did have some crumbling insulation on some of the pump wiring so I replaced some of the wiring. Good luck with it.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thanks and I will get a follow up posted, I expect the pump kit tomorrow or Sat. Good time to be down for a couple days, putting a new front tire on while it is laid up.

This is really good riding weather in N. Florida right now
Old 01-10-2019, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

An update:

Got the new pump, pump mounts, clamps, filter, tanks lines, O rings, the whole deal installed (a true pain in the ass BTW)

I found nothing actually wrong with anything but since it was all apart, why not?

I was thinking it may have been the loose bolts on the fill cap ring, maybe it was, but while doing this job I was hearing a loud clunking in the tank and fished out this plastic egg thing from the bottom of the tank.

It is a baffle device that should have been riding on the tank vent tube attached to the filler ring, my guess is that it came off during the fuel filter change that was done at 12K on this bike. I can see how it would be easy for it to happen if you were to remove or turn the filler neck.

I put it back on the tube, it appears just to snap in place on the tube and rides just below the top surface of the tank, it doesn't look like it could have jumped off.

I guess when I get it back together we will see.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I donít know if your model is the same but on my 1150GS my mysterious drips were transferring across from a bad o ring on my fuel line quick disconnect fitting
My 73RSR build http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/893954-saving-73-crusher-again.html
Old 01-14-2019, 12:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Mine are coming right out an overflow or tank vent tube, maybe both, hopefully no more,

I am about to shop test it. Road tomorrow.
Old 01-14-2019, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered Agitator

Garage
You can remove the black bubble & simply bend the tube up until it hit the top of the tank. Mines been that way for years with no problem.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Well bust my little bubble of hope Mr Goodwin
Old 01-14-2019, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered Agitator

Garage
Between that & punching a couple holes in the filler neck you can add a little extra gas to the tank.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Cool idea! If you had to guess how much extra do you reckon?. And what if I were to move my fuel filter external as well, stuff like that can add up.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered Agitator

Garage
Wild guess, 1/3 to 1/2 gal. I don't think moving the fuel filter is worthwhile. If you really want to add some volume there are threads here on modifying the tank you just can't have ABS, a plus in my opinion.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I explored that a few years ago on one of my earlier 1100S bikes, wasn't there someone that was making a small add on tank or something?

I was sort of obsessing over the short range but after a few cross USA trips on it, including the US 50 across NV (plenty of gas on that road BTW) I relaxed about it.

I can take some pleasure knowing I am 2 1/2 tanks closer to the Dragon than you are at least
Old 01-16-2019, 03:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered Agitator

Garage
There were a couple add on methods. One was an external tank plumbed into the main & another was a welded in section sitting where the ABS pump was. Personally my ass likes to stop often enough that it doesn't matter.

Usually I trailer up as I run sport tires & the drone up there eats them up, that way I start my ride with brandy new rubber.
Old 01-16-2019, 04:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

I spend so much time riding that area and so little time riding in Fl I have considered parking a bike up there just for that reason.

Not quite yet though.

The last few years I go up on 441 just about all the way so it is a lot more interesting than that 95 to 26 slog. I usually take the first day up to Commerce GA and the next morning I am in the best riding by 11 or so. If the days are long I can be in Waynesville NC while it is still light.
Old 01-16-2019, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered Agitator

Garage
I've considered the same thing, leave it in a storage rental & fly up whenever possible, just too much $$$.
You'd never want to run 441 up from where I live, It takes all day just to get to Fl./Ga. border with all the traffic & lights. Sucky ride, tried it once & only once.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: