Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Small retaining rings on front tubes

I got out for a nice , long, warm ride on north Fl backroads today, checking out my new fuel pump install and new front tire.

This bike has Rapid Dog bar backs on it and they are a beautiful piece of machining no doubt but the change in position doesn't really work for me.

I got back to my shop and went ahead and removed them and put my bars back where they came from, on top of the tree, and set them into the stock positioning notch.
At that point I notice there is a thin retaining ring just dropped over the fork tubes on each side, not in a groove or anything, just kind of sitting on the top of the tree.

Seeing no reason for them to be there I took the rings off and put them on the bench and went ahead and put it all together for a test run down the block.

But now I really would like to know where they belong and would prefer to put them where they go...any ideas? The diameter is perfect for working on the fork tube, I'm just looking for a grove to put them in!

Thanks !
Old 01-19-2019, 03:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Look on Max parts there is a groove for them. My 99 has them. 2 cnts from tjs
Old 01-19-2019, 04:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks tjs! I found them on the Max parts fiche and they go just under the top caps over the handlebar.

On my bike they don't seem to fit that well in the grove and I don't really see what they are for except to provide a stop to set the same depth to the front fork tubes.

I'll give it an additional check tomorrow
Old 01-19-2019, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bykemike View Post
...they go just under the top caps over the handlebar...to provide a stop to set the same depth to the front fork tubes.
+1 looks like to me too...
2014 Ducati Hyperstrada - fun touring bike
Old 01-21-2019, 07:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadToTheBown View Post
+1 looks like to me too...

That is where they are sitting and it looks right. They just don't sit in the groove with any conviction but I have just the touch of the anal about me and front end parts.

BTW, the PO had a thing about locktite on everything, this might be for another thread but , although I understand the need for locktite in some situations, on everything is too much. I end up working with a wrench in one hand and a heat gun in the other.

It gets to be a real pain and would make on the road repair and adjustment a bit of a problem, BMWs do real well with the correct torque, this aint no Ducati!
Old 01-22-2019, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
My R1100S bikes had the bars under the upper tree which seemed to have a very slight chamfer which they were well retained in with the tubes, with rings, all the way down, with the bars on top, look for the slight chamfer, perhaps it's there too...I can tell you mine never fell out with the tubes all the way down with bars above or below the upper tree..
Old 01-22-2019, 10:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadToTheBown View Post
My R1100S bikes had the bars under the upper tree which seemed to have a very slight chamfer which they were well retained in with the tubes, with rings, all the way down, with the bars on top, look for the slight chamfer, perhaps it's there too...I can tell you mine never fell out with the tubes all the way down with bars above or below the upper tree..
Thanks for that. I believe I will add a small chamfer by hand.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered Agitator

Garage
They aren't that important that I'd be filing off the finish on the forks to make them more secure.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Not the stanchion tubes, the caps are just slightly proud of the tubes, chamfer is on the trees...it's VERY slight chamfer, takes very little to retain rings once the tubes are all way down...
Old 01-24-2019, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: