Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered Agitator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bykemike View Post
Can you send me a link to the evaporation ray?
I could but the govt. says I have to kill you afterwards.
Old 02-09-2019, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
...wasn't me...

Wiring tips please

Quote:
a picture of my Whelan on my GS and on my 1100S: In the shot of the GS the light is in running mode, off (duh) on the S. These lights are very bright in brake mode, people stop well behind me usually.

If you wouldn't mind sharing your wiring of L3 to GS tail light harness, that'd be greatly appreciated!!

There's 3 prong connector with individual wire for each tail/brake light plus brown/ground on GS/HP2S tail light but L3 has only 2 (ie. +/-) wires + pattern changing wire, if my memory serves me well (which isn't always the case )?! Wondering how you made it to have both tail and brake function working on L3...

I should have Whelan L4 laying around in my parts bin and my garage princess could get some additional lighting at its tail...

Old 02-11-2019, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
I see you

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=54107

Old bikers don't get old by accident
equito ergo sum
Old 02-11-2019, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

I will check it today, I did it a while ago. I believe on an 09 GS the stop/ run function is a voltage hi/ low deal on the same wire. I just tagged the LIN 3 wires right into the rear light wires and it worked perfectly right off the bat.

I ran the strobe pattern wire from the LIN up under the seat in case I ever wanted to change it, but have never touched it.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
...wasn't me...

Quote:
I will check it today, I did it a while ago. I believe on an 09 GS the stop/ run function is a voltage hi/ low deal on the same wire. I just tagged the LIN 3 wires right into the rear light wires and it worked perfectly right off the bat.

I ran the strobe pattern wire from the LIN up under the seat in case I ever wanted to change it, but have never touched it.
Thanks bykemike…

Yes, the brake function is modulated ie. voltage intensified on '09 and up GS/A hex/camheads with LED tail light, same type as on HP2S. However, tail light assembly still has 3 prong connector with separate wires for tail ie. brake light and ground so I was just wondering which color wire you connected Whalen to...

Most likely, you have tagged tail light wire and it would get the intensified voltage when braking thus your L3 has both tail/brake function like main tail light assembly...

Old 02-12-2019, 06:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

It must have been dumb luck!

And the Whelan runs a nice steady running light and, when you brake, it get real bright and starts flashing. On an 09 this light it truly plug and play
Old 02-12-2019, 03:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

...wasn't me...

Quote:
It must have been dumb luck!

And the Whelan runs a nice steady running light and, when you brake, it get real bright and starts flashing. On an 09 this light it truly plug and play
Excluding brown/ground, you had 50-50% chances of striking "gold" with right wire...

There are few flashing patterns to choose from. I like 3 fast flashes first followed by few slow flashes... Whalen lights are "Poking-your-eyes-bright" - staring at the sun is nothing comparing to them...

I'll give it a whirl come spring time - thx for your assistance!!

Old 02-13-2019, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

The performance and price of the Whalen lights make them about the most attractive choices out there.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
I use a Kissan brake light strobe which starts off flashing slow and speeds up then stays on. If someone is approaching from behind I cycle it several times to get their attention. I also use a halogen tail light that is twice as bright as the regular bulb. Haven’t melted the lens yet. I also bought a kit that converts the signal lights into running/signal lights.
Old Yesterday, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: