Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Extra Bright Taillight?

Like a lot of riders out there, I'm concerned about getting rear ended at a stop light by some dizzy dame who's texting while driving her Escalade.

Can anyone recommend a product, whether it's an LED taillight or something that gives the taillight a strobe effect...I don't know what I'm looking for except I want something that will get the attention of the aforementioned texter.

BTW, the bike in question is an '04 Boxer Cup.

TIA,

SM Ross
Old 02-06-2019, 01:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
R1100s

Garage
Fitted one of these to my BCR..brilliant
Thor A Programmable Brake Light Modulator | Lakeside Electronics, LLC
2006 Subaru WRX STI S204 #318 / 600
Old 02-06-2019, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hyperlights have been around for a long time.

https://hyperlites.com/?page_id=550
Old 02-06-2019, 04:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I have a set of these on my 640 and really like them;

https://www.skenelights.com/online-store/Rear-Visibility-Systems-c22720602

Cheers
Old 02-06-2019, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Check out the Whelan Lin 3 from Strobesnmore , easily connected,many strobe pattern, very bright, many colors offered,can link and synch with other Lin3 lights,encapsulated, never gets water damage.

I have been using them for years, have one on my S, one on my GS.

I'll post some pics tomorrow of both.

Last edited by bykemike; 02-06-2019 at 06:44 PM..
Old 02-06-2019, 06:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
I installed a Kisan signal minder on my R1100S a couple weeks ago. It has a running light mode where the turn signals stay on and flash off to turn. It also has a brake light flash mode where when you hit the brakes it flashes the turn signals as well. I think this is very visible.

https://kisantech.com/sm-5.html
Old 02-06-2019, 08:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered Agitator

Garage
...and there's the old fashioned method of actually watching upcoming traffic in your mirror & keeping your bike in gear with the clutch pulled in ready to get the fuuck out of their path.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

a picture of my Whelan on my GS and on my 1100S: In the shot of the GS the light is in running mode, off (duh) on the S. These lights are very bright in brake mode, people stop well behind me usually.

https://www.strobesnmore.com/Whelen-Linear-3-Super-LED.html

Last edited by bykemike; 02-08-2019 at 11:44 AM..
Old 02-07-2019, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoodwin View Post
...and there's the old fashioned method of actually watching upcoming traffic in your mirror & keeping your bike in gear with the clutch pulled in ready to get the fuuck out of their path.

Are you Spiderman?
Old 02-07-2019, 12:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
bike in gear with the clutch pulled in ready to get the fuuck out of their path.

Y'know, this sounds good, but it never really made that much sense to me. I mean, picture being stopped behind somebody, or at cross-traffic in an intersection. And somebody's screamin' up behind me, gonna rear-end me. Where exactly am I supposed to go?

Dive into the lane next to the car I'm behind, let that guy take the hit? Well, sure, if I can manage it. (But if we're in the #1 lane, now I'm diving into oncoming left-turners from the cross street.)

But what if I'm first in line, looking at cross traffic, are you really suggesting that I'll be in better shape if I launch my ass out into it when I see rear-end guy coming?

Last edited by spacewrench; 02-07-2019 at 01:38 PM..
Old 02-07-2019, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered Agitator

Garage
What I'm saying is the blind aholes in cars just don't see you even with the super duper bright taillight so yes jumping between lanes or lunging forward beats getting jacked from behind, I agree lunging forward isn't the best but any attempt to get out of the way is better. I can say that in over 50 years on the road I've never been rear ended with a stock taillight(knock on wood) and I always watch behind me when stopping or stopped. As for spiderman no, I prefer superman.
Old 02-07-2019, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

" I can say that in over 50 years on the road I've never been rear ended with a stock taillight(knock on wood) and I always watch behind me when stopping or stopped. As for spiderman no, I prefer superman. "

Ok Superman ! Ya know I would be able to make the longevity with a stock tail light claim and maybe see you a few years. This: traffic and drivers are way different in the last 10 years than they were in those first 40 years. Our chances of being hit by a texting or otherwise electronically compromised driver is fairly high, it wasn't that way until recently.

And, honestly, I don't really think the bright , blinky, tail lights will make all that much difference, more of a talisman to make me feel better, but I do feel better so I guess it is working.

Last edited by bykemike; 02-07-2019 at 03:15 PM..
Old 02-07-2019, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

First of all, I'd like to thank all the people who responded to my original query. You folks came up with some great options and it's greatly appreciated.

I didn't mean for my inquiry to start a thread on bike safety but since it's already running, I'll chime in. I've also been riding for about 50 years and BykeMike is right; riding AND driving have changed in the past several years due to various distractions while driving, primarily texting. I cannot tell you how many times a day I see motorists with the telltale head facing down while driving and it infuriates me.

I'll give you folks an interesting statistic. I was an independent manufacturers rep for many years and I put an average of 50k miles a year in my car. Our Workman's Compensation Insurance rate was the same as that of commercial roofers which tells you how truly dangerous it is out there.

Until phones are disabled while in a car (I believe every iphone has that capability built in-it's just not utilized) something has to be done to mitigate the danger we all face while riding in populated areas. Maybe a strobe and LED light combination is not the ultimate answer but if it saves my sorry ass one time at a light or a stop sign, I'll consider it to be a success.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smross View Post
...Until phones are disabled while in a car (I believe every iphone has that capability built in-it's just not utilized) something has to be done to mitigate the danger we all face while riding in populated areas. Maybe a strobe and LED light combination is not the ultimate answer but if it saves my sorry ass one time at a light or a stop sign, I'll consider it to be a success.
i would prefer a tailgunner....
Old 02-08-2019, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

That is great Dunstall
Old 02-08-2019, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered Agitator

Garage
Mike while I appreciate your view, I ride in Dade, Broward & Palm beach counties regularly & no amount of taillight will make you visible to the idiots driving here. If your not riding as if you're invisible you'll get run over a dozen times in a mile. If it makes you feel safer by all means light up the night, just don't assume you're being seen because of it.
As for tailgunners, I prefer an evaporation ray, just eliminate all traces of danger.
Old 02-08-2019, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
sɹǝʇndɯoɔ sǝʇɐɥ

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgoodwin View Post
I ride in Dade, Broward & Palm beach counties regularly
You are an adrenaline junky. How the **** do you find pants for those balls.
Old 02-08-2019, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered Agitator

Garage
I grew up riding around D.C., this isn't even close yet.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Can you send me a link to the evaporation ray?
Old 02-08-2019, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
People were more careful in the early days...
Old 02-09-2019, 05:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: