Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
04 R1100S

Garage
BMW Roundel Possible Bearing noise?

Hi Folks,

I recently replaced the front and rear rubber on the R1100S, with Metzelers. Seems like nice rubber, however after a few hundred miles I am hearing a slight howl from the front end. Could this sound be from the front tire or as I suspect did the front tire get mounted on the front wheel while it was flipped over and now the front bearings are running differently than in the last 30K miles and making some noise? There is no obvious technical issue noted with the handling or braking. The sound can be heard quite clearly if you pull in the clutch and coast with the engine at idle. This is a new sound since the tires were mounted. The front tire rotation is correct though.

Thanks,

Hans...
Old 05-05-2019, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Suggestion, put your bike on the center stand and ask your old lady to hold the rear tire down while you feel if the front wheel will rock laterally in the forks, don't get nuts and crank the hell out of it, you can tip the bike if but then again you would have to be pretty strong to do that when it's on the center stand with her weight on the back...

You can also spin the front tire while it's in the air and my then see if you hear anything, not the same as at speed with load but if it's obvious, you'll hear it...

Also check the front tire for cupping, I've had this before and it will make some noise one might calll a howl...
Old 05-05-2019, 02:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

By "...mounted on the front wheel while it was flipped over ...", do you mean mounted so the wheel is now rotating in reverse? That would be obvious with the factory wheels, as the spokes have a slight spiral.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
When l had the Michelin Pilot Road installed on the front wheel, it made a low volume howling
sound for a couple of miles.
Either it went away or l got used to it, because I don't hear it anymore.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

My front wheel howls right off the light, seems to be more noticeable at slow speed while deaccelerating. I am on R1100S #4, they all had that (Pilot Roads) I think it is just an acoustical characteristic of the bike..my bearings are fine and the bike feels great at 100.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
04 R1100S

Garage
Talking

Thanks Gentlemen,

I took a hard look at the front wheel and tire and lifted the bike to spin that wheel and no issues were found, also no side to side movement was detected. I did note that the side wall of the Metzeler tire is quite short and perhaps this is creating more road noise than I was used to. Possible its a bit stiffer and transferring road noise in the tire carcass.

Thx, fellahs!

Slick...
Old 05-09-2019, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

It is amazing how many of my bike's problems are fixed with ear plugs.
* '83 GPZ 550-gone to a newbie * '75 CB400F-retired to AZ.
Old 05-09-2019, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBMann View Post
This is deep gospel here. If I ride my S without earplugs I want to sell it when I get back to the shop.

Nice tight earplugs and the grins just keep coming
Old 05-09-2019, 12:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RBMann View Post
+1 So true...
Old 05-09-2019, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
I noticed a definite "sound" from the front end with both Metzeler Z6 and Z8 when leaned over at a slower speed. I suspect the sound was there at higher speeds but wind/bike noise covered it up. It was most noticeable slowing down which puts more weight on the front tire. Sound didn't seem related to how much wear the tires had. Currently have Michelin PR4 GTs and don't notice it anymore. Could be that I don't hear as well and its always good to check for anything mechanical.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bykemike View Post
This is deep gospel here. If I ride my S without earplugs I want to sell it when I get back to the shop.

Nice tight earplugs and the grins just keep coming
Man, I am so glad to hear all this. Mine has been too loud ever since I bought it. Had to wear earplugs or it was downright painful. Recently I removed the Two Brothers cans and went back to the stock mufflers (but retained the Two Bros cat delete pipe). Now the exhaust sound is just to my liking. The last 2 rides were without earplugs, and the now-audible engine and drivetrain noises were horrifying!
Old 05-19-2019, 04:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered Agitator

Garage
You think the 11S makes noise you should ride my Aprilia without earplugs, holy crap that thing makes noises everywhere & rides & runs just fine. It's a total visceral experience, which is why I bought it.
Old 05-19-2019, 05:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: