Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

R1100S Running Too Rich?

Over a year ago I had to do some things that required taking off the bodywork and the tank. "Well, as long as I have it off, may as well do .........."

fuel filter, new quick disconnect fuel lines. When I put it all back together, the stock fuel pump was a lot louder. I figured it might be going bad, so I took all the stuff off again and put in a new fuel pump. And, as long as I had it all off, I put in one of those O2 sensor trickers, the AF-xied. Buttoned it all up, and the new fuel pump made a lot of noise too. So Ijust rode it.

Since then, The mileage dropped from a regular 42 mpg to the low 30s. On start-up, smokes and smells really rich. Plugs are sooty.

I figured it might be the AF-xied. It is supposed to set at like 8 or 9 on its dial, and I kept reducing it one click at a time hoping to get it a little leaner and bump the fuel mileage back up. Dialed it basically all the way down with no change.

So, a few months ago, removed the AF-xied and hooked it back up to stock. Mileage remains in low 30s, exhaust smells, plugs black and sooty.

What can I do?
Old 05-15-2019, 04:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Bobross:
If you ever get this resolved, please, please, come back and tell us what the solution was.
My bike always gets gas mileage in the low 30's - I would love to get an mpg in the low 40's.

Things to try -
Reset the ECU, by disconnecting the battery for 10 minutes ( I believe fuse number 1 is the fuse for the ECU, on the R1100S).
Make sure the re-connection to O2 sensor is good.
Make sure temperature sensor into the air filter box is connected.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
What year is your bike ?
Old 05-15-2019, 08:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Brent

Garage
check your fuel pressure there is a regulator in the center of the fuel "rails" piping,
also if you mixed up the return and pressure line it might make to much pressure
as the regulator wouldn't be plumbed correctly
I haven't swapped them to know for certain what it does,
or of course if you have a blocked return line it would have to much pressure as well.
and make the fuel pump work to hard.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Brent

Garage
also the fuel pressure regulator came in different pressures.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Leaky injector? Could you have knocked some crap loose when you had it apart and now the injector is leaking?

My bike gets 42ish on road trips when I behave. Mid 30s around town.
Old 05-16-2019, 05:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Too rich

the bike is 1999. 46k miles.

Nice list of things for me to check. Let's see what I find.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Bad Oxygen sensor.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Classic example of look at the things you worked on. Ran fine before the work and now after it is not right. Highly unlike there is a new problem like the O2 sensor or injector issue. Double check all the things you touched and worked on. So far, of all the suggestions I like the fuel lines being switched when the quick connectors were installed. Also the male/female ends should attached in a way that it makes it impossible to connect them wrong in the future.
* '83 GPZ 550-gone to a newbie * '75 CB400F-retired to AZ.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobross View Post
Over a year ago I had to do some things that required taking off the bodywork and the tank. "Well, as long as I have it off, may as well do .........."

fuel filter, new quick disconnect fuel lines. When I put it all back together, the stock fuel pump was a lot louder. I figured it might be going bad, so I took all the stuff off again and put in a new fuel pump. And, as long as I had it all off, I put in one of those O2 sensor trickers, the AF-xied. Buttoned it all up, and the new fuel pump made a lot of noise too. So Ijust rode it.

Since then, The mileage dropped from a regular 42 mpg to the low 30s. On start-up, smokes and smells really rich. Plugs are sooty.

I figured it might be the AF-xied. It is supposed to set at like 8 or 9 on its dial, and I kept reducing it one click at a time hoping to get it a little leaner and bump the fuel mileage back up. Dialed it basically all the way down with no change.

So, a few months ago, removed the AF-xied and hooked it back up to stock. Mileage remains in low 30s, exhaust smells, plugs black and sooty.

What can I do?
A bad O2 sensor or broken afx won’t cause rich running usually.

Based on your description (louder fuel pump) there is most likely one of two issues: a blockage in the return line or a fuel pressure regulator stuck closed.

Here are instructions for testing the system. You should be getting 2 liters per minute returned to the tank: https://advrider.com/f/threads/r1150-fuel-system-diagnostic-tool.897983/
Old 05-19-2019, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

R1100S Running Too Rich -PROBLEM SOLVED

I took off all the plastic, etc., (I'm getting a lot faster at that, a skill I wish I didn't have to learn) and took a close look at all the hoses.

Sure enough, they weren't right. The vent hose and the drain hose were reversed. All the rest seemed OK. So I reversed them to the correct connectors.

So, getting ready to go out on a test ride and smelled raw gas. there were a couple of drops from where the fuel line disconnects are. Tugged on the lines and one of them came undone. So, back in the barn it goes.

Had to take off all the plastic again to access the quick disconnects. Then I noticed is that the disconnect button on the top line was oriented at 90 degrees, such that when the tank was put down over it, it could press the button against the side of the tank. The line wouldn't actually come apart, but it was not "clicked tight". So, I loosened the hose clamps and rotated it up to 0/360 degrees. Now when you lower the tank over it, you can tug on it and it won't come loose.

I just finished riding a tank full. Now, instead of the light coming on at 110 miles, it came on at 143 miles. Got 40.6 mpg. And the whiney full pump quieted down and sounds normal. Runs a little better. Still makes occasional "puts" on deceleration, and tends to stall at stop signs, low idle. I may put the AF-xied back in to see if that helps. haven't checked the plugs, but i bet they are normal.

THE BIG QUESTION: Was it the poor connection of the quick disconnect fuel line, or was it the reversed drain and vent hoses.??
Old 06-10-2019, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
What kind of riding are you doing? I get sub-30 around town, commuting ~20mi/day. But I did a long high-speed trip from PDX to ABQ last month, and regularly got 45-ish, best was 50+.
Old 06-11-2019, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

R1100S Running Too Rich?

Basically ride around on rural roads in the suburbs and further out . Some hiway riding coming back home.

Filled up again and rode the back way out to Vernonia through the Coast Range. So far, 136 miles and the light has not come on yet. I bet I get 42 mpg on this tank, which was pretty much the standard no matter how I rode it.

Still wonder if the switched hoses (vent and drain- I really don't know what they do exactly) had anything to do with it, or was it the loose quick disconnect connector? Whatever, it seems back to normal now.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

How was the idle and overall running of the engine during the high fuel consumption
Old 06-12-2019, 04:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Brent

Garage
idle problems are usually throttle body set up or leaks in the vaccum system that drives the charcoal canister normally they will go to idle with no drama
Old 06-12-2019, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobross View Post
I took off all the plastic, etc., (I'm getting a lot faster at that, a skill I wish I didn't have to learn) and took a close look at all the hoses.

Sure enough, they weren't right. The vent hose and the drain hose were reversed. All the rest seemed OK. So I reversed them to the correct connectors.

So, getting ready to go out on a test ride and smelled raw gas. there were a couple of drops from where the fuel line disconnects are. Tugged on the lines and one of them came undone. So, back in the barn it goes.

Had to take off all the plastic again to access the quick disconnects. Then I noticed is that the disconnect button on the top line was oriented at 90 degrees, such that when the tank was put down over it, it could press the button against the side of the tank. The line wouldn't actually come apart, but it was not "clicked tight". So, I loosened the hose clamps and rotated it up to 0/360 degrees. Now when you lower the tank over it, you can tug on it and it won't come loose.

I just finished riding a tank full. Now, instead of the light coming on at 110 miles, it came on at 143 miles. Got 40.6 mpg. And the whiney full pump quieted down and sounds normal. Runs a little better. Still makes occasional "puts" on deceleration, and tends to stall at stop signs, low idle. I may put the AF-xied back in to see if that helps. haven't checked the plugs, but i bet they are normal.

THE BIG QUESTION: Was it the poor connection of the quick disconnect fuel line, or was it the reversed drain and vent hoses.??
It was the poor connection of the QD. With the top connection (return line) not clicked in your fuel pressure was about 100 psi. Youíre lucky you didnít split an in tank hose.
Old 06-14-2019, 03:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: