Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/bmw-r1100s-r1200s-tech-forum/)
-   -   Bizarre eBay purchase (?) (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/bmw-r1100s-r1200s-tech-forum/1031334-bizarre-ebay-purchase.html)

hellfishtat 06-04-2019 01:22 PM

Bizarre eBay purchase (?)

I went on eBay looking to see if I could find a left over, new, Shoei Neotec 2XL to replace my 6 year old Neotec.

I searched and made sure to select "USA Only". One came up. White, 2XL, New in Box, for $386 shipped. It has been years since I bought anything on eBay and I forgot my own golden rule (check out the seller before buying). Turns out, he only had one other "sale". F*CK!. I decided that I'd let it go and see what happened.

Fast forward two days and I look at the helmet again and it shows "Shipped, arriving by June 4th", but here's the red flag, it was coming from Frankfurt, DE. eBay also had a note saying "this seller is no longer active on eBay". F*CK2! I copied and pasted the tracking number into DHL's real site and got "not a valid tracking number" F*CK3!

I waited 15 minutes for eBay to call me back. The guy said that was strange that it was coming from Germany, because he could see that I had filtered it to "USA Only". Then he tells me the seller's account was registered in Vietnam F*CK4!

He asks me what I want to do, I told him that I could wait until the 4th to see if anything showed up, just as long as I could get my money back with the inevitable happened and I got bub-kiss. He said okay and we hung up.

Fast forward two more days and I get an email from eBay saying that my case has been settled and the funds returned to my account.

Sweet. I go ahead and decide to go the legit route and buy a new Neotec II in 2XL. I hated paying $700, but lesson learned, right?

Yesterday, my new Neotec II shows up and I get to throw the old crappy one in the dumpster. When I get back to my desk, there is another box with my name on it. Yep, the original Neotec arrived and it's 100% as described.

I called eBay last night and told them what happened, and they told me to keep it, and thanks for using eBay.

One thing that I did notice looking at the packing infomation. Since this helmet was originally intended to be sold in Germany, not the US, there is no DOT stamp on the back.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1559683246.JPG

Anyone looking for a deal on a new helmet?

N41EF 06-04-2019 05:10 PM

Might be interested. Does it have a date code?

Mike80911 06-04-2019 05:33 PM

Ebay just screwed the seller out of his money. If he had money in his paypal account to cover the refund they will deduct it and the seller will be out $386. This is just another reason I hate selling on ebay.

RIQUE 06-04-2019 07:14 PM

I would contact the seller and ask him if Ebay took his money in which case it would only be fair to pay the man back. Happened to me with a delayed order that arrived in the end.

JimMoore 06-05-2019 01:11 AM

Somewhere on a Vietnamese motorcycle website there's a guy saying, "****, I sent this guy a helmet and Ebay pulled his money out of my account!"

feisty 06-05-2019 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RIQUE (Post 10480791)
I would contact the seller and ask him if Ebay took his money in which case it would only be fair to pay the man back. Happened to me with a delayed order that arrived in the end.

Seems like the decent thing to do

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

hellfishtat 06-05-2019 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike80911 (Post 10480686)
Ebay just screwed the seller out of his money. If he had money in his paypal account to cover the refund they will deduct it and the seller will be out $386. This is just another reason I hate selling on ebay.

Nope,

I paid through Paypal and he got his money. I tried to contact him through eBay, but since his account is no longer active, I have no idea if he got the message. eBay told me that he did receive my payment, they were refunding the money on good faith, since the whole transaction (from search to purchase) was suspect.

hellfishtat 06-05-2019 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N41EF (Post 10480668)
Might be interested. Does it have a date code?

I'll look tomorrow. It's still setting on my desk at work.

spacewrench 06-05-2019 06:24 PM

There is NO WAY eBay did ANYTHING on good faith, those ****ers. I’d try to figure out a way to find and pay the seller.

hellfishtat 06-07-2019 03:41 AM

I'm going to pony up the funds and send it back to the address it shipped from.

buzzerbee 06-07-2019 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellfishtat (Post 10483356)

I have been following this post and think you're doing the right thing. eBay can be a bit problematic. I purchase a good deal there and have had a couple of orders that never arrived. I suspect that they were not shipped because I won them at a price the seller considered too low. I did receive refunds, still a great source for used motorcycle parts.

RIQUE 06-07-2019 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hellfishtat (Post 10483356)

I buy from ebay heavily. Mostly music, vintage die cast toys, car and bike parts. After close to 3000 purchases I can tell when someone has had a mishap shipping or packing and when Im being conned. Your doing the right thing and Karma will surely reward you for it.

tomvv11 06-10-2019 11:03 AM

Bought a new Schuberth modular for about the same price 2 or 3 years back that was not USA only. Shipped from Germany, arrived as described and on time. However when I had a warranty problem with a critical tiny plastic bit for the shield I had a very hard time dealing with Schuberth USA as it was not bought in North America. They did finally replace it, grumbling all the way. No free lunch n' all that.

Meeni 06-12-2019 08:41 AM

Is there an epidemic market for counterfeit helmets on ebay? There's quite a range of items I would not buy on ebay for that exact reason.

A helmet without a DOT mark to the US is totally useless as it cannot legally be used, if the description was not clear about that fact its not a fair sale.

tomvv11 06-17-2019 03:49 PM

Not counterfeit, just Euro spec. I would venture to say identical but for stickers.

RIQUE 06-18-2019 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomvv11 (Post 10495100)
Not counterfeit, just Euro spec. I would venture to say identical but for stickers.

Totally true. I have purchased Euro spec lids from Caberg that does no sell officially in the US without a problem