Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question for the HP2 and R12S owners on idle drop when clutch in and stopping

Hi guys, bike is a 2009 HP2 Sport, PCV, cat removed, stock exhaust...runs great, but in the nearly 4k miles I've owned it, when coming to a stop and pulling the clutch in, sometimes, not always, the idle will drop a bit to around 900/1000 rpms and then correct to 1200 rpms. I used my GS911 to calibrate my idle actuators last year, but that didn't seem to help.

The bike runs great, it's just this one little quirk...figured I'd ask you guys, maybe it's normal for this motor. Maybe there is something I can adjust. My R11S doesn't do it though. Any thoughts? Thanks, Doug
00' Harley Fatboy
Old 06-07-2019, 04:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
sɹǝʇndɯoɔ sǝʇɐɥ

Garage
Besides the normal-sticky-actuator problem, I have not had this issue. My exhaust is
not currently stock, however, most of the miles I have put on it were with a stock
config.

My 07 Ford Ranger does this but.....

I'm currently running with the stock muffler, catless Staintune headers (w/O2) and AFXied... uh.... things.

Last edited by BikerMiker; 06-07-2019 at 10:13 AM..
Old 06-07-2019, 09:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I just reset my idle actuators again so we'll see what happens. I also plugged the 02 sensors back in. Dynojet is now telling us they should be plugged in even with a PCV installed. Said they aren't even making the plugs (to cover the 02 bungs) any longer. Not sure if this will have any effect on my HP2's condition though.
00' Harley Fatboy
Old 06-07-2019, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
sɹǝʇndɯoɔ sǝʇɐɥ

Garage
You should be able to find that O2 threaded plug / bolt somewhere else. Sometimes farm supplies carry stuff like that.
Old 06-07-2019, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I have the plugs for the 02 bungs. I removed them to re-install the 02 sensors based on the recommendation of Dynojet.
00' Harley Fatboy
Old 06-07-2019, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
My 12S does this. My HP2 runs perfect so I have been swapping stepper motors from the HP2 into the 12S. I need to do one more good run to see if I have figured out which stepper is giving me the problems.

Even after re calibrating the steppers, with a bad stepper the problem will return.......and it returns and goes away when IT wants to. Intermittent problems are the worst to diagnose.

Are you also saying that Power Commander is recommending putting the O2 sensors back on the bike? If so, where did you get this information?

When I bought my PCV, we were instructed to remove the O2 sensors and I had my bike set up on the dyno without the O2 sensors.

Cheers
Old 06-08-2019, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Hi Drop! So you are pretty sure it's those idle stepper motors? I bet I have one that is failing since it is intermittent. And my re-calibration did correct the condition.....for the moment. I rode 150 miles yesterday and all was fine. Are they easy to get to? I do have the service manual, but figured I'd ask you.

Yes about Power Commander and recommending we re-attach the O2 sensors. Mine were disconnected by the previous owner when he installed the PCV, but I looked at the install manual now posted on the PC web site and it makes no mention of removing them now. I opened a service ticket on their web site to ask why and this is the response after some back and forth: "Yes our old kits used to have the O2 sensor eliminators. We no longer produce, sell, or supply stock O2 sensor eliminators. We suggest that the bike's stock O2 sensors stay installed, plugged in and actively working. We actually found the vehicles run better and are more fuel friendly running the factory O2 sensors."

I re-installed them and I felt no difference in the way the bike ran on that ride yesterday. Plus, no more lambda error on the GS911 woohoo! I'm not sure what the root cause was for PC to change their course on that, but if I had to venture a guess, I'd think EPA, but who knows. That is purely speculation on my part.
00' Harley Fatboy

Last edited by maverickma; 06-09-2019 at 06:36 AM..
Old 06-09-2019, 06:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Maverickma;
I'm pretty sure it's the steppers. I followed a thread on Boxertrix where guys were having the same problem mainly with the 12S.......came down to steppers.......and I have swapped coils, plugs and calibrated the steppers numerous times. The bike will idle fine for a while, then will either die or get the dreaded cylinder and 1/2 rough idle. I have replaced steppers on the 12S, one at a time from my HP2 which has always run great. I'm on the second stepper now, but have not done a long ride to see if the problem has disappeared.

Steppers are easy to replace, but you will need a security Torx to remove the two screws that hold them in place. Steppers are the cylindrical device on top of the throttle body....also with an electrical plug in.
If you pm me your email, I can send you a photo of the steppers........I can't remember how to post pics here.

Thanks for the info on the PCV.

Cheers
Old 06-09-2019, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Hi Drop, mine doesn't stall at lights yet, but my guess is that's next if it's a failing stepper motor(s). Can you let me know what you find out?

Thanks for the info on replacement, I do have a security bit set so I'll make sure I have the one needed just in case I need to replace.

Your welcome on the PCV info. I sent you a PC requesting pics of the stepper. Thanks for the offer! Doug
00' Harley Fatboy
Old 06-10-2019, 04:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: