Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Need suggestions please

I have a 2005 BMW R1100S BCR. I haven't been riding much because I have been having trouble starting it. It is hard to start when cold, after riding and sitting for at least 30 minutes it will start right up. Once started the bike runs smooth, I don't hear or feel anything odd. I replaced both spark plugs in each cylinder, BOSCH. I tested my fuel pressure, good. I checked and adjusted valve clearance, I checked my Outside Air Temperature sensor, working, I also tested my Oil Temperature Sensor, working. I want to test my OAT and OTS wires to the MCU but can't find a pinout for the MCU. I looked for worn, shorting, or open wires, none that I could find. I don't have a code reader. I've seen posts where people put a analog multimeter to one of the diagnostic pins and short it and will start giving codes. I tried with an LED, I can't get it to work. I don't know if it is the LED or it not right. How can you help? If you have personally used a LED to get computer codes, how did you do it? Do you have a pinout for my MCU. I have a Clymer manual and it has color wiring diagrams in the back so I know exactly what color wires for my sensors, but not labeled pin for the MCU connector, I didn't want to pull the protector off for the harness unless I have too. Thanks for what ever help you can send my way.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Brent

Garage
what is the battery voltage when it is cold, and cranking, should be minimum 8-9v cranking
and 12.xx when sitting,
if it is cranking slow it can be the starter,
check the compression,
have you put any gas through it,
unlikely to be plugs, coils commonly fail on these, it probably doesnt have a thrown code if it
runs normally after it has been started,
try manually giving it some throttle, if the "choke" is broken it will simulate what the choke does.
in 30 minutes it should be back to ambient so not likely to be a temp sensor.

anyway, start with compression check, then check the coils, "choke", battery
how does it run when first started?
led may not work any multimeter should work
Old 06-17-2019, 07:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
If you have jumper cables , you can hook it up to a car or a good battery.
Old 06-17-2019, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I just put a battery in my 2001. The battery would start well warn, but if below 60 degrees it took 5 or 6 times cranking it to get it to "catch". I hooked it up with jumper cables to a car battery and It cranked right up. Old battery was dated 12/2005 and had lived on a tender it's whole life.
Old 06-18-2019, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: