Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Dead R1100S in Scottsdale AZ

Hello,

Yesterday I was enjoying a nice ride through Petrified Forest NP when my '98 S quit running. After checking for fuses, fuel, spark and wiggling side stand (all good), I had it towed to the dealer in Scottsdale. BTW, it was still cranking over.

I am completely at a loss to know what it is. I'm pretty sure it is not:

- Bad HES (replaced last year)

- Bad fuel pump (replaced 3 weeks ago)

- Bad ignition coil (had good spark)

Could it be a bad Motronic unit? If so, I would probably have to leave the bike here for salvage and fly home.

Any ideas or suggestions would be welcomed.

oldblue
Old 06-19-2019, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

If you have fuel and spark I doubt it's the motronic.

Since the pump was replaced recently my first thought was a fuel line may have disconnected in the tank (happened to me 10k after a filter replacement).

How do you know you have fuel? If just by listening for the pump it's a possibility
Old 06-19-2019, 11:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Still had half a tank left then and there was fuel in the line and spray coming from the injector when I pulled it and cranked the engine.
Old 06-19-2019, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I have a "spare" single plug Motronic if you need to borrow/buy one.
Old 06-19-2019, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Good test... only variable is pressure but if you see fuel it should fire.

The rest are long shots...

- Timing is off because HES plate shifted
- Motronic reset (disconnect battery)
- Mechanical issue (check compression)

Did it quit instantly or sputter and die?
Old 06-19-2019, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Talking

It quit almost instantly after several stops and starts that morning. The clock reset itself to 00:00 on the 24 hour display.

(The clock reset was a nonissue as I pulled all the leftggghand fuses to check them.)

Last edited by oldblue; 06-19-2019 at 03:42 PM.. Reason: Clarification/correction
Old 06-19-2019, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

How old is your battery?
Old 06-19-2019, 02:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Battery is 2 years old, new BMW gel unit.
Old 06-19-2019, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Dealer has it running, claims it was a blown fuse. No fault codes from the test on the Motronic.

I know they did all they could but I don't buy the blown fuse excuse. A blown fuse is a symptom not a case.

oldblue
Old 06-19-2019, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

What circuit was the fuse in?
Old 06-19-2019, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
15 amp fuse (blue) which controls the fuel pump and the Motronic. That's the same fuse I replaced 3 weeks ago when I thought i had a bad fuel pump.
Old 06-19-2019, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Yet in your original post you said you had fuel/spark... the fuse wasn't blown then obviously.

Very confusing.... but you're on the road again. Good luck.
Old 06-19-2019, 05:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by giarcg View Post
Yet in your original post you said you had fuel/spark... the fuse wasn't blown then obviously.

Very confusing.... but you're on the road again. Good luck.
I know, that's why I'm so torn about leaving the relative safety of Scottsdale.

I did as much as I could in a field diagnosis to avoid the $500 upcharge on the tow.

oldblue
Old 06-19-2019, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

The wire in the fuse, being thin, heats up and cools down each time that circuit is used.
Eventually, it could just break, through fatigue if you like. It’s not unheard of.
But if the fuse ‘blew’ so that the thin wire is splattered, then there is definitely something amiss.
Maybe chaffed wires somewhere in the loom. Carry a handful of spare fuses until you work it out.
Intermittent faults are the trickiest to fault find. Good luck.
Old 06-20-2019, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
When was the last time you replaced the fuel filter in the gas tank?
Old 06-20-2019, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldblue View Post
Dealer has it running, claims it was a blown fuse. No fault codes from the test on the Motronic.

I know they did all they could but I don't buy the blown fuse excuse. A blown fuse is a symptom not a case.

oldblue
Fuses can go bad as Alfa145V6 pointed out. I had it happen one year as I went to leave a rally in CO.

The story here in post #414 and a fuse pic in #430.

2011 Top Of The Rockies Rally - 7/28 to 7/31

Story is the fuse had broken but would connect intermittently. See the right side where it is crimped. Bad fuse without any other problems since it was replaced.

Good luck.
* '83 GPZ 550-gone to a newbie * '75 CB400F-retired to AZ.
Old 06-21-2019, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Happy ending update:

I made it home without any further trouble on Friday night the 21st.

Last leg of the trip took me from just north of Bakersfield CA to Port Angeles WA in one very long day of riding.

Still not sure of the exact cause of the sudden death and inability to restart in Petrified Forest NP.

My trust in this machine has been broken.

oldblue
Old 06-29-2019, 11:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BadToTheBown View Post
When was the last time you replaced the fuel filter in the gas tank?
I put a new Mahle fuel filter in at 160,000 km (100,000 miles). Bike currently has 188,000 km (117,000 miles).

oldblue
Old 06-29-2019, 11:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Brent

Garage
replace any of the old wire style fuses as in the photo here with
one piece fuses they dont have the failure point at the end of the wire,
and you can get them with blown fuse indicators,
ive had several of this wire stye fuse fail and they look ok.
Old 06-29-2019, 08:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: