Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
unsafe at any speed

Those rings are under pressure, if they were leaking there would be fluid leaking out not air leaking in. Probably air up top at the banjo by the master cylinder causing the soft lever.

Old 01-13-2020, 11:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

If the o-rings leaked enough for air to get in then the fluid would leak out when you pull the lever. I had problems with SpeedBleeders letting air in unless I put grease on the threads. On one bike I just gave up and removed the SpeedBleeders.

I like to remove the master cylinder lid and diaphragm before bleeding the system. You want to be able to see the small hole(port) in the bottom of the master cylinder. Very slowly pull the lever and watch to see if air bubbles come up into the reservoir. If you see bubbles then feather the level back and forth at that first engagement point until they stop. I have had air in that upper line that I could not seem to push through the system and out the bleeders.
* '83 GPZ 550-gone to a newbie * '75 CB400F-retired to AZ.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Bill-

You beat me by 3 minutes.
* '83 GPZ 550-gone to a newbie * '75 CB400F-retired to AZ.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
On the Road Again

Garage
Thank you for the fast responses.

RBMann there is Locktite, or some other similar gunk, on the Speed Bleeders so air leakage should not be a problem. I will pop the cap on the MC when I get home from work to see if I get bubbles.

Bill, I will check the banjo at the MC. For some reason it was moved at the dealer and that should not have been necessary for the repairs that were done. I also notice in the parts diagram that the hose from that banjo has an interesting loop before connecting to the ABS unit. Probably nothing like that in real life but I did not check that yesterday.

Gerry
Old 01-13-2020, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
...wasn't me...

^^ It may be just me but I don't trust the speedbleeders nor would I have them on any of my bikes...

If it were me, I'd put old OE non-speed bleeders back, replace all of the banjo fittings from the front master cylinder to the calipers, torque all of the bolts to spec and bleed the system thoroughly starting from MC then going to the LH caliper (where ABS ring is) then RH. For MC, you shouldn't see any bubbles as you pump the lever. Once done with that, bleed MC through small bleed nipple at MC too. Just make sure you protect painted surfaces when doing any of that not to ruin the paint w brake fluid.

R12S doesn't have servo brakes thus no need to worry about ABS pump bleeding. Once it becomes warmer so you can take the bike out, you can try to find loose surface road and activate ABS to engage, which does the same thing as if you had GS911 and pulse ABS while bleeding the brakes. Then bleed brakes at calipers once more as you get back from the ride and you should get the firm lever pressure a-ok after all that.

GL
Old 01-13-2020, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
On the Road Again

Garage
So two votes against Speed Bleeders, I will remove them and try again. I had the hose pop off the nipple at the MC last night and may have let in some air. I tried the looking in the reservoir and slowly pump but did not see any bubbles. May have to hold off on fiddling with this until the weekend now, so may be a couple of days before I get back with an update.

Gerry

Old 01-14-2020, 04:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: