Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
On the Road Again

Garage
R1200S Brake failure

It has been a while since I posted anything. The new puppy was a bit of a distraction but that would be another thread.

Perfect day for riding sunny and not too hot, friend wants to introduce me to a really nice road, 50 kms of twisties. It's about an hour away on back roads. It's a great road so we did it both ways then we stop for ice cream and head straight home. All in it was just about 400 kms.

About 1 km from home the front wheel starts juddering, vibrating and I lose the front brakes entirely. Brake lever back to the bar and no slowing at all. Rear still works (boy does that suck) so I manage to nurse it back home front wheel vibrating all the way. I push it into the garage and go for a coffee. About a half hour later I now have brakes again.

Any ideas?

Old 08-30-2019, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
unsafe at any speed

Something is loose in the front causing the rotor to push the pads back. Are the bolts that hold the rotor to the front wheel tight? If they're not loose, the rotor could be warped and spreading the pads. But something is pushing them back into the caliper. probably if you would have squeezed them a few times rapidly you would have gotten a little brake action from them. Have you jacked it up and check front wheel bearings?

Last edited by wswartzwel; 08-30-2019 at 02:42 PM..
Old 08-30-2019, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
On the Road Again

Garage
I will check and let you know.
Old 08-30-2019, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Brent

Garage
this would be the symptom of boiling the fluid
you might have a stuck caliper or simply old water saturated fluid
the abs in this model should be passive until it cycles on
was the abs motor running
Old 08-30-2019, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Did the brake fluid get changed recently ?
Old 08-30-2019, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
On the Road Again

Garage
Brake fluid is about 3 years old, I haven't ridden much in the last couple of years. Was changed by dealer when the rotors got changed.

I don't know what the abs motor should sound like.
Old 08-31-2019, 01:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Do the brake pads look worn down to the bone or do they still have meat on them .
Old 08-31-2019, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Brent

Garage
abs motor will make no noise normally not cycling , so if it is not running which makes a noise
you must have boiled the fluid, which can happen very quickly and wont
show as worn out pads, make certain your calipers are not sticking
when you release the brake the wheel should spin freely when it is not on the ground
Old 08-31-2019, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
unsafe at any speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDM View Post
Brake fluid is about 3 years old, I haven't ridden much in the last couple of years. Was changed by dealer when the rotors got changed.

Why were the rotors changed?
Old 08-31-2019, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
sɹǝʇndɯoɔ sǝʇɐɥ

Garage
Not saying this is your issue but it's worth checking.

New Bembo front disks and pads - vibration when braking?
Old 08-31-2019, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Talk Less, Say More

Location: Moab Utah. Home of wierd red & orange radioactive stuff...
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wswartzwel View Post
Why were the rotors changed?
Need an answer to this. And any other unusual work performed.

Many problems occur because of a user or mechanic error. Maybe they installed something wrong.
Old 09-01-2019, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
On the Road Again

Garage
Dealer said the rotors were warped, not a lot but probably the reason I was getting some strange noises from the front end. Brake pads were changed at that time and clutch and brake fluid changed. That was 3,400 kms and 3 years back. Not a lot of riding since then. There is nothing loose and the bearings seem good. My guess is that the problem is a result of my inactivity and lack of maintenance. Looking at all the responses all of the problems are beyond my skill level to fix.

Thanks for all your help but I will let the dealer look at it. I will keep you posted.

Thanks again.
Old 09-01-2019, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:

I think you just posted your problem.........3 year old fluid.....and it doesn't care how much the bike was ridden, the fluid will still absorb moisture. Ontario can be humid, so more of a chance the fluid will go bad quickly.

When I was in Queensland Australia many years ago, I would have to bleed my brakes every couple of days because of the high humidity, and maybe poor quality brake fluid??

Bleed the brakes and retest.

Cheers
Old 09-01-2019, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
On the Road Again

Garage
And it's Bill with a the win. Front bearing failure causing brake rotors to be pushed back. Couple of parts needed from Germany. While they have it, I am having the brake lines flushed, bled and new fluid put in.

Thanks all for your help.

Gerry
Old 09-11-2019, 10:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
unsafe at any speed

Glad you were not hurt. riding it that way. Make sure the pipe spacer is between the bearings when you replace them. Front wheel bearings should last longer than that.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
On the Road Again

Garage
The pipe spacer was damaged and is being replaced. Apparently there is some scuffing to the rotors but that is cosmetic only. They believe there was a water leak that led to rusting of the bearings. I am feeling quite lucky as the ride that day included some really nice twistie bits. Typical two lane, no shoulder secondary roads with enough rocky outcrops to keep things puckered up tight.

Gerry
Old 09-11-2019, 11:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
... Beeming in BC

Boiled my brakes once. Hot day. Hard cornering with spirited riding. I was ignorant regarding DOT ratings for brake fluid. I didn't understand hydrophilic tendencies. Lived to tell about it. Nothing happened to me or the bike through a series of incredible coincidences and amazing blind luck.

Clearly a different issue for you... but old brake fluid is one step closer to a problem, especially if it has a low DOT number.

When my mechanic said "you boiled your brakes" to me... I read this page to gain some understanding:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brake_fluid

Stay safe!
Old 09-17-2019, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
The pipe spacer was damaged and is being replaced. Apparently there is some scuffing to the rotors but that is cosmetic only. They believe there was a water leak that led to rusting of the bearings. I am feeling quite lucky as the ride that day included some really nice twistie bits. Typical two lane, no shoulder secondary roads with enough rocky outcrops to keep things puckered up tight.

Gerry
Gerry, do you pressure wash your bike with a hose? No reason for water to get behind those seals unless you are pressure washing (or riding constantly in the rain/fording standing water).
Old 11-25-2019, 12:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

On the Road Again

Garage
Never pressure washed it, not sure why water would have gotten in. Bike is still at the dealer, they are having trouble bleeding the brakes so still mushy at the handlebar. I am not a real happy camper but I have pretty well missed the end of the riding season.
Old 11-28-2019, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
On the Road Again

Garage
The saga continues:

The left caliper was replaced and the right rebuilt. There was a problem with bleeding the front brakes, lever was coming right back to the bar. Sent the bike back, 3 or so weeks later bike is returned ( this is when the right caliper was done) but the lever is still spongy. After the initial bite, if you keep pressure on the lever it continues to move in, not all the way to the bar but enough to be disturbing. I am older but I remember that when you hauled in the lever stopped dead.

I am not buying the “it just does that” routine. I think air in the lines. Read up in this forum on brake bleeding, something I have always left to the dealer before. Check out JVM’s stuff on hexheads, different ABS set up than mine but I changed the alternator belt as well so all is good. Install Speed Bleeders all around and bleed right caliper, left caliper, and them mc. No joy on the first go round, so do it again – still no joy. Tried the knocking on the lines route to shift any lingering bubbles and then turned the handlebar full left and used the cable tie to the lever trick overnight. Still blood spongy.

No brake fluid is leaking so air must be getting in from somewhere. My guess is one of the orings at one of the banjos has been pinched or has deteriorated letting air leak in. If you have another idea, please let me know.

Now the questions, if I start swapping out orings at the banjos one at a time will it be like the Speed Bleeder install, just a bit of a glug or will the line just empty? I am worried about inadvertently draining the ABS unit. Not a lot of BMW dealers near me so if this doesn’t work, I will not have any more work done at this one.

Old 01-13-2020, 07:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: