Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
diz plaz is cwazy

Garage
Manual tire changing tools

Can I get some advice on a good do it yourself type kit for tire changing ?

BWM R1100S 2004 (fat girl) BMW S1000RR 2011(skinny
BMW R1200S 2007 (stingger) Honda CX500TC 1982 (turbo)
Old 03-25-2020, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Do you need stuff that you can keep in your garage, or stuff that you can carry on the bike?
Old 03-25-2020, 08:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
diz plaz is cwazy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacewrench View Post
Do you need stuff that you can keep in your garage, or stuff that you can carry on the bike?
In my garage
Old 03-25-2020, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I've been looking at getting a "No Mar" manual machine. https://www.nomartirechanger.com/ Really depends how much you want to spend. The BMW wheels aren't the easiest to change tires on manually with tire irons...
Old 03-26-2020, 12:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Tire Irons

Don't have one, but I've read good reviews on the "Mojolever".
Old 03-26-2020, 04:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
+1 on the Mojolever...far easier to mount sport-touring tires on BMW wheels than when usuing the bar supplied with the NoMar changers. Not sure how it could be used without a wheel-clamping device, though. Is that included in your definition of "manual tire changing tools"?
Old 03-26-2020, 12:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Real happy with this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9ymwz2sMqU

Place it on my workbench when in use, stores easily. Works like a charm.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Giarcg, do you have to remove the brake discs with the max2h?
Old 03-27-2020, 01:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by giarcg View Post
Real happy with this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9ymwz2sMqU

Place it on my workbench when in use, stores easily. Works like a charm.
That looks really interesting and very portable.

I have a NoMar setup, very happy with it and can do tubeless and tube type tires.

Get a Marc Parnes balancer and also an adapter to fit our rear wheels........I have an adapter for the 12S rear wheel, also fits the stock HP2 rear wheel.......I had Marc Parnes build me a custom adapter to balance my BST carbon wheels because the rear has a different diameter hole compared to the stock 1200 wheels.

Cheers
Old 03-27-2020, 03:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I purchased these years ago and the combo does work with some mods. The mojolever is a necessity and works. I have nylon blocks, the mojoblocks, on the three clamping points on the motorcycle wheel attachment which also requires some sort of fix between the wheel and the attachment to keep the wheel from turning in the clamp. Drilled two holes in the garage floor and sunk anchors so I can bolt and unbolt the the whole thing when needed. Along with the Marc Parnes balancer the setup was a very reasonable cost and saved a bunch of money maintaining tires on 6 bikes. I'll take some pics if needed. Would have loved to have the NoMar but couldn't justify the cost at the time so I went cheap, but works. There are several YouTube vids with this setup.

https://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-tire-changer-attachment-60810.html (out of production for a while, but back)
https://www.harborfreight.com/manual-tire-changer-69686.html (always available)
https://www.mojotiretools.com/mojoweb.htm
Old 03-28-2020, 03:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris216 View Post
Giarcg, do you have to remove the brake discs with the max2h?
No
Old 03-29-2020, 04:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
diz plaz is cwazy

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by giarcg View Post
No
Is there a US vendor for max2h.com ? or did you get it from the EU ?
Old 03-29-2020, 05:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIQUE View Post
Is there a US vendor for max2h.com ? or did you get it from the EU ?
EU... Germany to be specific. Shipping was about $100 as I recall. I considered the tool expensive but it met my needs well. I've got very limited space and it's compactness made it worth the price.
Old 03-29-2020, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I had a harbor freight setup with mojo blocks and a mojolever. That was incredibly frustrating. I did best with giant zip ties pinching both beads together. Rear wheels were easier than front because they had a deeper trough for the tire bead to sit in. It was all very frustrating though. The end of my mojo lever got bent and I found it to be ineffective. I might not have been using enough tire lube. Others clearly have had better results, but that isn't universal. Solid and stable mounting of the changer is very important too. If it doesn't go well, it's a good way to gouge up your rims and waste hours of time.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Sorry to hijack thread, but I’m also changing my tires and wondering if anyone has used counter act balance beads? Seems like a great alternative to weights and traditional balancing.

Also to original poster take a look at Chris Harris YouTube for tire changing. You don’t need much.
Old 03-29-2020, 05:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
diz plaz is cwazy

Garage
Transmission replacement R1100S

I need to complete the following tasks.
1. Change the two pivot bearings on the rear end
2. Remove and replace transmission with a serviced one I got from Anton Lagadier.

I am planning on doing the bearings first without putting the rear end back in place until I replace the trannies.

Q. Are there any videos or instruction links on how to disassemble the whole freekin bike aside from the service manual?

Thnx
--------------------------------------------------------
Old 03-29-2020, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX_Biker_Scum View Post
I had a harbor freight setup with mojo blocks and a mojolever. That was incredibly frustrating. I did best with giant zip ties pinching both beads together. Rear wheels were easier than front because they had a deeper trough for the tire bead to sit in. It was all very frustrating though. The end of my mojo lever got bent and I found it to be ineffective. I might not have been using enough tire lube. Others clearly have had better results, but that isn't universal. Solid and stable mounting of the changer is very important too. If it doesn't go well, it's a good way to gouge up your rims and waste hours of time.
Princess Auto is the Canadian equivalent of Harbour Freight....My buddy bought one of there tire change tools and had to spend hours modifying it. I asked him if it was worth the effort and he said just buy the NoMar as his changer was still a pain in the ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattybingco View Post
Sorry to hijack thread, but I’m also changing my tires and wondering if anyone has used counter act balance beads? Seems like a great alternative to weights and traditional balancing.

Also to original poster take a look at Chris Harris YouTube for tire changing. You don’t need much.

I have never used them because I figured this would just be a huge pain in the ass. I balance my own wheels with the Marc Parnes balancer. This is easy to do, set it up, open a beer, let the wheel roll, have a drink, add some weight, have a drink, let the wheel roll, have a drink.......you get the idea......relaxing!

Cheers

Last edited by Droptarotter; 03-30-2020 at 08:45 AM..
Old 03-30-2020, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Droptarotter, I like your approach to wheel balancing!
Old 03-30-2020, 12:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
I am fortunate enough to have a group of friends who ride, one of whom owns a large garage. We raised enough cash to purchase the NoMar changer, the Mojolever, and a used tire shop spin balance machine. If I live and ride another 20 years (uncertain these days) I may recoup my investment. My point is that doing 8-10 tire changes a year, the learning curve is much flattened, and the tire changes go quickly and without much drama now. Changing to the Mojolever got us over the hump.

I'm ashamed to admit that one of the earliest attempts required the use of a sawzall to complete. Straps to keep the tire from rotating on the rim, and to keep the wheel from rotating in the clamps are essential, as is learning to manage the drop zone. A sunny day and/or tire warmers help too.

Old 03-30-2020, 03:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: