Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

New R1100S guy, luggage question.

Just picked up an 04 with 25K on it. Nice looking bike to the eye. Ive had an R1100RS and a few F800ST which is my favorite bike. Ever since I saw the boxer cup replicas I've always wanted one of these bikes. Hoping for a trouble free life with it. I like to ride a lot, daily in Miami. As well as tour. Did a 4000 mile trip to Big bend this past February on the 800. Averaged 49MPG the whole trip with heavy cross wind a lot of the time. Bike is great for a midsize tourer, but not in the wind. Beat the hell out of me.
Love the boxers. This one seems cherry.

It idles real low. about 900rpm. He says he got some kinda chip put in it or something. Ill have to inquire more.
"Choke" lever doesn't seem to do anything, no tension or anything.
Takes some gas to keep it running cold, till it warms up, then it idles at 900, too low.
What can I try for this? I don't have a sync, guess I need to get one. As well as a manual. Would you suggest Clymers or Haynes?

Found this forum coming up for a lot of questions I googled so I had to join.
My first question her is, is, how do I mount the luggage racks. Factory BMW stuff. No instructions but has all the stuff.
Ill probably figure it out before I get a reply but, its not completely obvious to me. 4 rack pieces and a bag of screws.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Old 04-21-2020, 03:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Maybe this illustration will help.

Old 04-22-2020, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadabadachada View Post
...got some kinda chip put in it or something. Ill have to inquire more.
Need to know more to help you here...

Quote:
"Choke" lever doesn't seem to do anything, no tension or anything. Takes some gas to keep it running cold, till it warms up, then it idles at 900, too low. What can I try for this? I don't have a sync, guess I need to get one.
Sounds like your choke cable to your bowden box is broke, need to lift the gas tank to get at the box, very fixable, should idle around 1300, either get your throttle bodies sync'd or buy something to do it, plenty on this forum on the subject, not as hard as you might think to do...

Quote:
As well as a manual. Would you suggest Clymers or Haynes?
Everything, including service manuals for this bike, are on the Internet but a Clymers can't hurt...

Quote:
Found this forum coming up for a lot of questions I googled so I had to join.
Welcome, this has been the most definitive forum on these bikes, start searching it...

Quote:
My first question her is, is, how do I mount the luggage racks.
If you find the BMW manual online, it shows you but I'll also bet it's on the forum too...

Best of luck, without question one of the best bikes I've ever owned, enjoy...
Old 04-22-2020, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
unsafe at any speed

It isnt a choke lever. Fuel injection.... Just bumps up the idle speed
Old 04-22-2020, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
R1100s

Garage
https://www.rbracing-rsr.com/downloads/R1100S_ENG.pdf
2006 Subaru WRX STI S204 #318 / 600
2018 VW Golf R Grid edition
Old 04-22-2020, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

My 04 came to me almost perfect in all respects except for an idle issue. Previous owner had an aftermarket exhaust with "some kind of chip", returning this bike to totally stock configuration was, for me, the thing to do. It is quiet, idles like the tach needle is painted on 1250 rpm and is pleasure to ride.

If you are using your bike for long distance touring ( I do) stock may be your best bet.

There are scads of used parts out there for these bikes and many of them fit across all years
Old 04-25-2020, 05:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bykemike View Post
...Previous owner had an aftermarket exhaust with "some kind of chip", returning this bike to totally stock configuration was, for me, the thing to do. It is quiet, idles like the tach needle is painted on 1250 rpm and is pleasure to ride.
There's no arguing the point, if you an leave them as is, they're good, however, the only thing I leave stock is my old lady, everything else I modify, it's a disease really...

Quote:
If you are using your bike for long distance touring ( I do) stock may be your best bet.
Perhaps, toured on mine with mixed results, more I modified, more trouble I had, exhaust was not one of those problem, chip helps with an exhaust....

Quote:
There are scads of used parts out there for these bikes and many of them fit across all years
+1

If you just want to ride and not chasing more bike, just farkle it and call it good enough...

Old 04-25-2020, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: