Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

BMW Roundel Helmet

What helmet are you riding with ? I’m considering the Schuberth C4, I bought a Shoei Neotec II last August, but after a couple hundred miles I realized it wasn’t the right choice for me. Too loud, bad ventilation. It was a proper fit. But i just couldn't make it work. My previous lid was a Schuberth C2 that I bought new in 2006. Even worn out after that many years it was quieter than the new Shoei. So I’m going back to Schuberth, .im not a fan of Sena Bluetooth, my old Schuberth had Cardo.
What’re your thoughts & experience

Last edited by MrFeldman; 05-08-2020 at 07:40 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-08-2020, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
I see you

Scorpion is the best fit for me and it's very quiet. But it's not a flip lid.

“There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our overthrow. Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence.”
Old 05-08-2020, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Scorpion makes a flip...I'm on my 2nd or 3rd EXO-GT2920. They're fine (for my head) and I can replace them 2-3x more often than one of those nice Shoeis. (To be fair, I tried on a bunch of Shoeis, and they feel like featherweight silk pillows. They're awesome. But they cost 4x as much, and I sweat in them as much as a Scorpion. The trade-off of "new helmet" 3x as often, for a little bit more "silk pillow," means I wear Scorpion. But if you have a different head, or more money, you could totally make a different choice.)

ETA: Oh yeah I used to wear Shoei, and they're not _that_ much quieter. If you're not wearing earplugs, in 20 years you're gonna hear as bad as I do now. Wear your earplugs!
Old 05-08-2020, 08:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
sɹǝʇndɯoɔ sǝʇɐɥ

Garage
I've had the Neotec now for almost 5 years and I think it's too loud. I'm considering
going back to a proper full face unless there's a quieter one out there.

I can't seem to figure out how to get helmets on without pulling earplugs out.
Old 05-09-2020, 06:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Talk Less, Say More

Location: Moab Utah. Home of wierd red & orange radioactive stuff...
Garage
Whatever's on sale when I get the bug to buy a helmet. Usually I go for Bell Helmets, just because...

I look at the Sportbike Track Gear site, or the Revzilla site as starting points.

Not trying to buy a helmet for life, they wear out so I go cheap and fashionable. I learned that from someone here.

Old 05-09-2020, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Slave to gravity

Garage
My last helmet was a BMW branded Schuberth but I don't know what model. I've most recently bought a Schuberth E1. Both fit me well but I wouldn't say either as all that quiet.

save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9F
Old 05-09-2020, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

el Cheapo

Garage
Everyone has a different head, what works for me may not work for anyone else.

I try to carry as little weight on my body as possible when I ride; less fatigue, ride longer.

I try each helmet on my head first, find the best fitting and then the lightest helmet.
Old 05-09-2020, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Shoei Neotec for me, don't find it too loud but I use custom silicone earplugs.

I'll try different brands to see what fits when its time for a replacement, but think I will stick with a flip up.

Cheers
Old 05-09-2020, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

I bought a Schubert C4 a year ago. I had Nolans for many years and wanted to step up a bit - no knock on Nolan. I like flip helmets and all my Nolans were flips. I bought the C4 at Revzilla in Philly. Great experience. There was a sales person in the helmet section who spent a lot of time with me as I looked at flip helmets. Once I focused in on the C4 he made sure I had the right size. Anyway, I like the helmet. A lot. I use ear plugs, too. A few years back I got custom plugs fitted by an audiologist. I don't use them. I prefer El Cheapo plugs.
Old 05-09-2020, 04:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
R1100s

Garage
Shark Race-R Pro Carbon full face..light and quiet.
2006 Subaru WRX STI S204 #318 / 600
2018 VW Golf R Grid edition
Old 05-09-2020, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Really depends on your head shape.

The Shoei seems OK to my head until I try on the right Arai. Which, for me, is the Signet-Q in "Large". (Long oval head).

But your results will differ; so you must try them on.

Arai make 3 "head shapes" in addition to the usual size ranges...and you can further customize with the cheek and crown liner inserts (different thicknesses available).
It seems to me the better it fits, the quieter it can be with less wind noise.

I run them about 6 years, and then replace in kind. They are about 35% more expensive each time.

Yes, these are outrageously expensive (just like the Shoei and Schuberths) but having the right fit, and ultimate protection makes it worth it to me.

Last edited by mosearch; 05-10-2020 at 08:56 AM..
Old 05-10-2020, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckcarr View Post
Whatever's on sale when I get the bug to buy a helmet. Usually I go for Bell Helmets, just because...

I look at the Sportbike Track Gear site, or the Revzilla site as starting points.

Not trying to buy a helmet for life, they wear out so I go cheap and fashionable. I learned that from someone here.

Good point, I definitely kept my C2 way too long. At the time I bought my Schuberth, they weren’t readily available in the USA, I ended up buying from a BMW Motorsport of Vancouver B.C. . Now Schuberth is available everywhere. That being said, my First New helmet in 1986 was a Bell Tour Star. Great quality.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Twisty Mt Man

Garage
I bought a C4 and am very disappointed with it as were many apparently because Schberth came replaced it with the C4 Pro. The C4 is not quiet like the C3 was and I now use my HJC LS2 as my go to helmet.
Old 05-11-2020, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Good point and one that I have heard before. This is my first Schubert so I can't compare to the previous model. I think the C4 is a nice step up from my old Nolan and part of my delight is that I now have a proper fitting helmet. BTW, the Neotec is really nice.
Old 05-11-2020, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

I had Neotec 1 for 5 years. Loved its versatility but not the weight & noise. I tried Schuberth but it did not fit, lots of pressure on the forehead. I tried several models and sizes just to make sure the fitment issue was not due to the model/size. Strange, how those wearing Shoei find comfort with Schuberth.

Bell Race Star was one of the best helmets I owned. The first one saved my bacon on Streets of Willow after I hit the ground at about 80 mph (per the rider behind me). Helmet was destroyed, I walked away with very light concussion. I have another Race Star in my line up.

As for the best deal, I bought X-lite model X-802RR last December and have been wearing it on regular basis. IIRC, original retail was around $700. Paid around $200 with free shipping from Iron Pony. I always had a soft spot for Nolan, but only those made in Italy. Glad I could find this one. Fit is very good, not super quiet but not very loud either. I do ok in it with earplugs.
Old 05-12-2020, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

How’s about “ Marushin” helmets? Anyone familiar with or owned one? I’m planning on the Cardo Slim talk for a comm system, Marushin is one of the compatibile helmets for that Bluetooth.
Old 05-14-2020, 08:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

I have a Roof Boxer, actually I have two. Unique helmet, I never see
anyone with one. It is a flip that can flip all the way over so it rides behind your head with no drag. I like the looks and function of it, not especially noisy.

No one I've ever encountered in this country has one nor has anyone ever
said anything to me about it. Not sold in the USA but you can buy a new one easy on eBay . Great graphics and parts are readily available .

I'll post a link or picture in a bit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/ROOF-Boxer-V8-Bond-Titan-Silver-Matte-Flip-Up-Motorcycle-Helmet-Free-Shipping/274261381496?hash=item3fdb409178:m:mmMFsAKii1GNSXa qt3Jv7hg

Last edited by bykemike; 05-15-2020 at 04:25 AM..
Old 05-15-2020, 02:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

If you love riding the keep the safest helmet with you. See here the list of best motorcycle helmets.
Old 06-01-2020, 01:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered

I had been riding in a Shoei but tried on a Schuberth at a CA Superbike School out west and fell in love with the fit and quietness. The SR2 stays put at any speed and has tons of vents with an excellent visor system.
Old 06-13-2020, 08:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

Bell Here, too....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckcarr View Post

I've been using a Bell for the last couple of years. Craig's right, they're priced well. But they are also well made, this one was designed from the factory with a cutout/flush mounting port for my Sena SMH-10 and has a photochromic visor - something I'll never do without again. Comfortable & quiet, but I'm always wearing hearing protection, as well.

2010 HP2 Sport
2007 R1200s
2011 911 Turbo S Cabriolet
Old 06-13-2020, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: