Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Has anyone tried a KEPWORTH Lithium battery

Hi Guys,
I was wondering if anyone had tried a Lithium battery from KEPWORTH?
They are available at AliExpress at a reasonable $220 AUD.
They have a BMS (battery management system) to monitor and control charge rates and discharge rate.
My lead acid battery is OK at the moment but this looks good to me for future use.

Any experience anyone?

All the specs look good.

Regards Mark.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33033107192.html?spm=a2g0s.8937460.0.0.52762e0eNTA oWD

AF-XiED
1200 injectors

Last edited by Marke123; 05-18-2020 at 01:51 AM.. Reason: description in heading
Old 05-17-2020, 12:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to wiggledbits
Nice to lose the weight

... but if you want dependability on a road trip stick with the gel type. If you only trck go with it. JMO
Old 05-18-2020, 05:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I've run a lithium in my S1000RR for years, no problems. This battery likes to warm up with the electrics on before firing when cold.

I've put a lithium in my R12s just 2 months ago, and it is great. None of the characteristics of the above battery. I assume they've gotten better, plus the CCA was higher.

The weight savings is great. They basically don't need charging. Zero complaints. Will do again on HP2s when the time comes.

This is the battery I used in the 12s: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/fire-power-featherweight-lithium-battery-hjtx14h-fp-il

2010 HP2 Sport
2010 S1000rr
2007 R1200s
Old 05-19-2020, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
R1100s

Garage
Ive used SHORAI lithium in 2 BMW's..great!..nil issues.
2006 Subaru WRX STI S204 #318 / 600
2018 VW Golf R Grid edition
Old 05-19-2020, 04:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Good to hear you SHORAI work well.
I like the KEPWORTH because it has a BMS so the battery has built in protection and charge control.
The price is good for me in Australia. Some of the brand options you guys have aren't common or available here.
I had read the SHORAI's don't have a BMS.
It's only early days of looking however!

Cheer, Mark.
AF-XiED
1200 injectors
Old 05-19-2020, 11:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

One tip. My bike was in the shop for other maintenance, and I had the mechanic install a lithium battery at the same. Both the mechanic and the battery company recommended a 12-cell, 360 CA battery as a suitable replacement.

My bike has always been a hard starter, sometimes taking two or three 4-5 sec. tries. This coupled with letting it sit for a month was enough to exceed the new battery's capacity. Was able to recharge it and get the bike running, but that wasn't what I expected out of a lithium battery - long spells of inattention should have little or no effect (the only drain was the LCD clock).

I did some more research and read through a good (lengthy) thread on the ADV site, and bottom line is that lithium batteries have good initial current capacity but their ability to supply it diminishes a lot faster than AGM or lead-acid batteries. So the CA or CCA ratings listed for lithium doesn't exactly equate to standard batteries. This was confirmed by the battery company I bought mine from (in a round-about way without directly admitting to recommending a too-small battery - they spoke more of lithium's lack of reserve power vs. standard batteries.)

To fix my problem, I bought a 16-cell, 480 CA battery from the same company and have been very happy with it going on two years. The bike has sat for almost two months and started right up. Have not had a charger on it.

The battery in your Aliexpress link lists "20 Ah CCA 560h". I didn't find much consistency on ratings when trying to compare brands, but read that the output is based on the number of cells, like a-cell-is-a-cell-is-a-cell. Likewise, case size would be somewhat dependent on cell count. The one you list is larger than mine, plus the 560h (if equatable) is bigger, so sounds pretty safe. You may want to confirm the height will work. Mine at 130mm high is close (2004 w/ABS).
Old 05-20-2020, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
I used a Shorai 5lb for many years in motorsport. Very good experience with a few caveats:

- They need a specific lithium maintainer /BMS to balance the cells and keep them healthy. The standard FLA battery maintainer will kill it.
- They don't like cold weather so if you need it in snow, run your headlight 1st to warm it up a bit B4 starting.
- Ignore it in the garage or run it flat once and the capacity will be greatly reduced.

Last edited by Cajundaddy; 05-21-2020 at 12:25 PM..
Old 05-20-2020, 06:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Always fun reading threads like this old dogs new tricks eíh

Iíve one bike(955Tiger) that has an R/R(after market)that doesnít like lithium and I found out the hard way...the rest XT660(been on 6 years) 1100s/XR1000/KTMGT/K1200r Sport all with lithium.

The 1100s is the odd one out,the others start bang on the button where as the 1100 occasionally needs the lights putting on to warm it up and then it starts fine.
Tiger 955
R1100s
Old 05-20-2020, 10:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
el Cheapo

Garage
I have a lithium battery in my 07 R1200S, previous owner put it on the bike.
I have had it since OCT 2019, stored the bike in non-heated garage through the winter with multiple days of sub-freezing temperature.
I have a designated charger for lithium battery and another smart charger that detects optimal charge rate.. I hook the lithium battery up to the charger once a month.
So far, zero problems.
Old 05-21-2020, 05:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
sɹǝʇndɯoɔ sǝʇɐɥ

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajundaddy View Post
- Ignore it in the garage or run it flat once and the capacity will be greatly reduced.
This is why I moved on to ones that shut off below a certain level and leave a "reservoir", if you will.

Parasitic loads on the newer bike killed my last Shorai prematurely (no tender on it
and sat too much). Yet the one on the 83 airhead is 6 years old or more and still working.
Old 05-21-2020, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I think best question to start with is why to consider Li-Ion. If you are concerned about weight savings, then why even buy an R11S? I have had experiences with Li-Ion and it was nothing to write home about. For the record, I never bought a Li-Ion, just inherited them from previous owners. Biggest problem I have with Li-Ion is that unlike an AGM battery, you will not know that Li-Ion battery is about to go dead until it goes dead, sort of puts you in front of the fact. One battery left the bike stranded in the middle of the freeway, lights went out, complete shut down. Replaced wth AGM battery. The second instance happened luckily in the garage where a Shorai on a Shorai tender just gave up a ghost. That one is also an AGM candidate. Unless you do serious track I just don't see a point in having one...
Old 05-21-2020, 11:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
R1100s

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marke123 View Post
I had read the SHORAI's don't have a BMS.
It's only early days of looking however!

Cheer, Mark.
According to SHORAI their batteries do have BMS
Old 05-22-2020, 11:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered Agitator

Garage
The combination of removing 15lbs. of ABS & 15lbs. of battery up top of the 11S made a huge difference in turn in. I've been running Deltran Battery Tender lithium batteries in all 3 bikes for awhile now, about 5-6 years on the oldest. The newest one has the reserve & reset ability plus equal charging of each cell but I've had no problem with the older style either. I use the standard Battery Tender on all of them with no problems. Only the Aprillia really needs the charger as it has a pretty high parasitic drain just sitting but the ZX14 or 11S can sit for long periods without charging. So far I see no downside to the lithium batteries with plusses of less weight, no battery acid to leak & way superior starting ability in all 3 bikes over any AGM battery I've run including the vaunted Odyssey (which weighed a ton).
Old 05-23-2020, 05:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
I don't think the Shorai have BMS.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
R1100s

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groceryrun View Post
I don't think the Shorai have BMS.
info@shoraipower.com.au
All our lithium batteries have a BMS.
2006 Subaru WRX STI S204 #318 / 600
2018 VW Golf R Grid edition
Old 05-23-2020, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
All Shorai batteries might have a 5 pin BMS port, but nowhere can I find any mention that they
have BMS on a circuit board like their competitors.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groceryrun View Post
All Shorai batteries might have a 5 pin BMS port, but nowhere can I find any mention that they
have BMS on a circuit board like their competitors.
I agree. I have been looking high and low and can't find a clear specification or description.
It does seem if the SHORAI's are allowed to be flattened (parasitic load) are finished. That makes it sound like there's no low voltage cut off as a function of the BMS.
I think they are as simple are cell balancing only.
The advertisements for their charges connect on to a charging port and they describe the charger as a BMS.

Not all BMS's are born equal!

AF-XiED
1200 injectors
Old 05-24-2020, 01:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: