Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

2004 R1100s question for returning rider

So I don't think I fully qualify as a "new" rider.
But I fully admit it's been almost 20 years since I owned a motorcycle. I've read the threads on what a new rider should get and all that and I do heed that to some degree.

But I learned to ride on a '80 yamaha 850 special, fairly heavy bike and only time I dropped it was when I learned that I needed to be 100% sure the kickstand was fully out and locked

After that I had a 83 kz1000j that I rode the heck out of, put over 50K miles on that bike. Had a few small stints on v45 sabre and rode a friends VFR 1000F for a little while (not long only like a month). in all I probably have around 65K ish miles of riding in my past.

So I have a little more sense these days and don't plan on being the nut I was in my youth. I really have narrowed down the bike I want to two primary choices.

1. 5th gen VFR, this is a bike I've always loved and there is a big part of me that just wants to fine decently taken care of one and get on.

2. Sprint 1050

But then I came upon a 2004 R1100s and I simply love the look of it and I'm fixing to go take a test ride this weekend. So my questions are around.

First off for a rider coming back into it.
The weight of this bike is around 500lbs (all 3 bikes are really around the same weight) with a boxer engine is the weight centered lower most bikes? It looks like it should be but just wondering as I've seen some people comment that the weight on this bike is high.

It also seems like the suspension on these bikes is very forgiving, and is an easy bike to ride.

Secondly. I'm looking at getting an older bike, but I want to minimize my headaches. I can find Sprints with less then 20K miles, the seem to pop on fairly often.
VFR's if they are maintained will run damn near forever and still I can find ones in the 30K or less range.
So BMW's, this model in particular, what's the longevity like? The one I'm looking at has 40K on the clock but has records and looks well kept in the pictures I've seen. I am not afraid to do some wrenching but reliability? What should I inspect in particular, and what should I look out for?

Last of all, usage. I want a sport tourer. Something that if I want to pop down the street 10 miles to go get something small from the store I can, or if I want to go on a few hundred mile trip on the weekend to visit friends/family it's no big deal. Honestly the biggest strike against the VFR is no factory panniers I can live with that but it's something I have to do something about to be able to use for short trips.

So sorry it's kinda a rambling long post I'm all ears on suggestions people might have.
thx!

Old 05-18-2020, 02:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I love my 2000 R1100S for sport-touring. It came with city-lid (narrow) bags and a Givi top box. Price was ~$2750 in the fall of 2018.

There are some well-known problems with the BMW; I'm dealing with the clutch / transmission one now. Generally, maintenance isn't that bad (oil changes, valves). But there's some things that are absurdly difficult to do (anything to do with the clutch!)

This is my first Telelever bike, and I think it's a front suspension that agrees with me. I've always been a pretty conservative rider, but I found myself just flying when I took the R1100S out on a trip. It's definitely confidence-inspiring.

Of your other options, I'd probably pick a VFR over a Triumph, but the only Triumph I ever had was a '72 Tiger, so completely different animal from the recent bikes (which are supposed to be quite good).

My bike history: Yamaha 175, Triumph 650, Honda CX500T, Yamaha Seca 750, Honda VF400F, Yamaha SDR200, Honda CB750K, Honda VTR1000, Ducati 748s, Aprilia Futura, BMW R1100S. High points were the VTR and the BMW. (You can probably find a VTR1000 for even less than VFR, and it's a great bike.)
Old 05-19-2020, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
You will love the tele-lever front end...it virtually eliminates brake-dive.
As for touring...I've ridden my R1100S from CT to Newfoundland and from CT to Seattle via CO.
I've never found it to be excessively heavy...I think the body work hiding the gas tank makes it look bigger than it really is.
If you decide to buy it...welcome to the club!!!
Old 05-19-2020, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Slave to gravity

Garage
I just got my first one last August after lustng after one for 20 years. I fully intend to tour on mine too. Bars can be above or below the triple clamp and bar backs are an option too. I don't feel like mine is remotely heavy up high, all the weight is in the motor down low. I love mine just as much as I expected to. Go for it!

save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9F
Old 05-19-2020, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
R1100s

Garage
Great bikes for longevity properly maintained, at 16 yo suspension and brake lines would need upgrade if not done.
2006 Subaru WRX STI S204 #318 / 600
2018 VW Golf R Grid edition
Old 05-19-2020, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

thx guys I'll keep ya posted! The top heavy thing was in another another thread here.

R1100S as First Bike? (post #10).

I did think it odd because just looking at the bike it wouldn't seem top heavy with a boxer engine but I dunno.. So is 3500 to much for a 2004, 43K miles? I was gonna shoot for 3K on my offer if things work out. I'd definitely would be happier with fewer miles, but I'd almost be more afraid to buy a bike with crazy few miles at that age.
Old 05-19-2020, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Talk Less, Say More

Location: Moab Utah. Home of wierd red & orange radioactive stuff...
Garage
So, to be Debbie Downer.

Not sure where you live, but it's different now than 20 years ago.

And you are different too.

There are various reasons why the bell curve of accidents has shifted from young males to middle aged adults.

Drivers are aggressive. Men, women, boys, girls. Faster vehicles. And not paying attention. Riding your butt. I don't think half care if they kill you, or would even stop...

You have always got to be on the ball, always scanning and looking.

Good thing about the boxer, it's supposed to protect your legs better in an accident.

Just be always aware...
Old 05-19-2020, 06:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

The S series are great sport touring bikes, I've got a couple of sets of bags with mine, since I always ride alone I can do multi week tours with my city lid cases (nice and narrow) a tank bag and a tail bag.

I get 45 mpg, relentlessly. Ride in comfort even in wet weather, have my Garmin rigged up with a 12 volt feed to the tankbag to keep my phone and Kindle charged, high cotton so to speak.

I've done a number of cross country trips on these bikes, the one I am driving now (04) was a 1700 mile return trip, fun, but my longest was picking one up in Show Low AZ and riding west then north to Portland OR before turning back south and then east, about a 5k return trip

So enjoy!

CK is right on the nose, drivers in the US are a bunch of homicidal MF's these days, pent up rage rules the driving world. It bothers me to no end but I attempt to ride in the open areas of the country as much as I can, don't drive after dark if I can avoid it and try and accept the fact that something is going to nail me eventually.

My hedge on that is I am an avid road bicyclist and if you think motorcycles are dangerous...

Oh BTW, longevity..my current 04 just turned 33,000 and in a conversation with Tom from Rubber Chicken he remarked "just a youngster"

The one I picked up in AZ was over 65K, and I rode that bike for many years, never missed a beat except for wear items. I think these bikes are way understressed.

Last edited by bykemike; 05-19-2020 at 07:31 PM..
Old 05-19-2020, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
sɹǝʇndɯoɔ sǝʇɐɥ

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bykemike View Post
...I attempt to ride in the open areas of the country as much as I can...
This last Sunday I almost ate it head on with a pickup truck FULLY in my lane, on a blind
corner, out in the middle of nowhere. Had I not slowed down a little earlier, realizing I
had just lost my bar end weight, I might have been there 2 seconds sooner.

There's bad drivers today just like 20 years ago but there's more cars on the road now.

And I agree, there are more angry people driving.
Old 05-19-2020, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I find my R1100s the easiest to ride of my 3 bikes and very competent and confidence inspiring. I’ve been teaching my son how ride it lately.

I commute every day thru downtown houston traffic on mine and have used it out in the Texas hill country area too. It’s an extremely versatile ride.
Old 05-19-2020, 08:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingRider View Post
5th gen VFR, this is a bike I've always loved and there is a big part of me that just wants to fine decently taken care of one and get on.
Great bikes, have ABS, great sport tourers but I'm still a twins guy but if I were to go 4, a V4 would be a preference, great compromise in HP to torque...

Quote:
...Sprint 1050...
Triples are cool, sound cool, again, good HP to torque compromise but do not know the reliability of these...

Quote:
...2004 R1100s...The weight of this bike is around 500lbs (all 3 bikes are really around the same weight) with a boxer engine is the weight centered lower most bikes? It looks like it should be but just wondering as I've seen some people comment that the weight on this bike is high.
Heaviest of everything you're looking at but once it's moving, you would never know it, boxer is torquest of the choices but lowest HP, these Beemers handle well with good ABS and forgiving on bumpy turns like nothing else you'll ride, especially with good aftermarket shocks...

Quote:
...suspension on these bikes is very forgiving, and is an easy bike to ride.
Yep...

Quote:
...looking at getting an older bike, but I want to minimize my headaches.
It qualifies, parts are still readily available...

Quote:
VFR's if they are maintained will run damn near forever and still I can find ones in the 30K or less range.
I have RCs, so like the Hondas more than the other Jap bikes, a good Beemer will run forever too, documented oilheads with over 300K miles on original engine...

Quote:
...what's the longevity like?
Looooong...

Quote:
...want a sport tourer. Something that if I want to pop down the street 10 miles to go get something small from the store I can, or if I want to go on a few hundred mile trip on the weekend to visit friends/family it's no big deal.
R1100S has so far been the best I've ever had/built, good bags, which all of my bikes have and never hesitated to ride from MD to FL for Bike Week or whatever, still the best bike overall I've every had but my Duc Hyper beats everything in the mountains...

Good luck...
Old 05-19-2020, 09:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Having had several of both, I can tell you the VFR is a better bike, by a lot. It's faster, it handles better, it's more reliable. Buy a 5th Gen and go -1/+1 on the sprockets and it starts to feel kinda like a liter bike. In that configuration it will drag an R1100S through a quarter mile faster than the S will do it on its own. You may lose a rectifier on an VFR, but they're $60 online. Read SpaceWrench's thread on his spline failure. That's a multi-thousand dollar repair, and it's not uncommon. I would never buy one with that mileage unless I could inspect the splines. Maybe offer the seller $100 to pull the starter and let you check them?

The BMW has good stock bags, integrated heated grips, and a stout alternator for running electric clothing and additional lights. Those are nothing to sneeze at. And they will last a long time if you get a good one.
'07 CBR600RR
Old 05-20-2020, 02:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Andrew Moore

Garage
Admittedly, my experience with owning different types of bikes is limited (KZ550, R75/5 and R1100S), but I have really enjoyed the R1100S. As a sport-tourer, it is top-notch. It is lots of fun to ride and it is set up for all day riding. I have a Boxer Cup Prep model, so it has bars below the triple clamp, the shorter wheelbase and no ABS. I have no complaints with the stock setup, except for the saddle. I found the stock saddle to be brutal for long rides and swapped it for a Corbin as soon as I found one for sale. (Others swear by the Sargeant seat over the Corbin, but not having tried the Sargeant, I cannot speak to the difference. The Corbin works for me.) The OEM panniers are fantastic - super easy to use and roomy.

As for reliability and maintenance, I think the R1100S is a good bet. I am biased towards BMWs in general, though, so take that with a grain of salt. There is a well-known issue with oilheads where the transmission input shaft wears through the clutch disc hub (search "spline failure"), but in my opinion, this is a fairly rare occurrence. What seems to be more common is the clutch slave cylinder failing, where the DOT4 fluid leaks, fouls the transmission seals and eventually, fouls the clutch. That's something that I would pay attention to. It may be impractical to inspect the slave before purchase (remove rear wheel, remove top bolt of shock, bend shock out of the way, unbolt slave cylinder, pull from recess, and look for messy goo), but if you remove the clutch fluid reservoir cover and the fluid looks dark gray and opaque, that may indicate a problem. And, I would make the inspection a top priority, once you purchase it.

The bottom line is that these bikes are getting old enough that they generally need some age-related parts replacements. Unless the owner is REALLY on top of all of the maintenance and repairs, you can probably count on spending $1,000 - $2,000 in parts to get the bike in shape. Aside from the usual things, like brake pads, fluids and tires, here are some things that you may be facing: new brake lines (OEMs are getting tired), re-wrapping the wiring harness (the old covering crumbles), new fuel filter, new rubber fuel lines, alternator belt, etc. Also, I still have the OEM shocks on mine, but many owners upgrade, which can be expensive. If you are looking at a bike with an aftermarket exhaust and aftermarket shocks (e.g. Ohlins), you have a serious leg up on other examples.

There is also a mix of opinions on the ABS. Some owners really like the R1100S systems; others disable and remove them. The earlier models had a system that seems to be more reliable, with the later versions having more issues. Since mine doesn't have ABS, I cannot speak from experience, but I suspect that the quality of the PO's maintenance will determine the reliability.

Al that being said, the R1100S is a really versatile bike with tons of character and once you work through the repairs and maintenance, they are good for a couple of more decades, at least!

I hope this helps!
Old 05-20-2020, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
'07 R1200S

Garage
I (sadly) sold my '98 VFR800 last year. I had that and my R1200S. I loved that bike. It was a great ride. I had installed Givi panniers, Staintune slip-on and the DMR cb900 rear shock and the front cartridge kit.

My wife wanted me to sell one. I put them both on CR (and the R12S here) but didn't get any interest. Within a week, I had 5 people come and look at the VFR. They all wanted me to take less. I said no. Finally a guy from SC drove up and paid me full price and trailered it home. I have written him 3 times asking if I could buy it back.

I liked my R1100S, but I would chose the VFR over that model any day.

I do like the extra power of the R1200S over the VFR.

Last edited by hellfishtat; 05-20-2020 at 10:31 AM.. Reason: mis spelling
Old 05-20-2020, 10:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I have had a 2004 R1100s since 2011. It is a Prep. No abs no centerstand 5-1/2in. rear wheel. I was living in New Jersey and my girlfriend at the time found it at a dealer in Fort Collins Colorado. I bought it for $5500 with 5,000 miles on it and flew to Colorado to ride it home- 1800 miles. It was lowered 1in. when I bought it. I talked to the dealer about putting the stock suspension back on and he suggested I ride it home lowered and if I don't like it, change it when I get it home. I never took the shorter shocks off.

I had my clutch splines go bad at 45,000 miles. At 50,000 miles I had an exhaust valve burn in the left cylinder. Anton in Virginia has fixed both issues for me and said the burnt valve was not uncommon for the oil heads. He felt at the factory the valve seats were not ground correctly.

I am still putting the bike together after fixing the valve. I am doing many little things while I have the bike apart. Today I am finishing grinding the excess weld from both ends of the headpipes.

I want to give a little history for me with the bike. I also just put on 1in. shorter Wilber shocks.

When I found out last July I had a burnt exhaust valve, I bought a used 2014 Honda VFR 800 from my dealer with 2,765 miles on it. I paid $6800 and then bought the factory saddle bags for another $950.

For me the seating position on both bikes feels the same. I am 67 years old - 5ft-8in. tall and weigh in the 150's. I have a 32in. inseam. I am a very experienced rider. Riding for 50 years and having ridden 750,000 miles.

I can touch the ground flat footed on both bikes. For me I think they both handle very well. It took me 500 to 1000 miles to get used to the fact that the Honda does what ever you need it to do with a very gentle touch. The BMW, I feel needs to be told a little more firmly.

I think both bikes accelerate similarly. The BMW has more torque at lower engine speed.

I got the motor on the R1100s pretty well sorted and it will ride along at idle speed in 1st gear when warm without slipping the clutch and accelerate smoothly by just twisting the throttle. The BMW is the best running motor I have ever had riding along at such a slow speed with no clutch slipping. The Honda will not do that.

The Honda reminds me of my 1992 Ducati 900ss. It doesn't have the stump pulling torque of that motor but I think it handles very much like the Ducati. It is just way more reliable.

I feel the Honda is easier to ride at extremely slow speeds, 1/2 to 1 mile per hour.
I never expected to keep the Honda when I bought it. I was going to sell it when I got the R1100s back on the road. I am keeping both. The Honda is so incredibly easy to ride. It just seems to know what I want it to do.

Both bikes fit me well, in that I can steer with the handlebars and squeeze the body work or gas tank with my knees.

I also want to say about the BMW that I feel it is my favorite bike of any bike I every owned. I might revisit that opinion when I can ride both at the same time, but that is how I love the R1100s.

I don't know how you are built or what you truly want, but best of luck with you decision. I agree with CK when he says drivers have gotten more aggressive and now ride you ass. Not very long ago, I don't feel drivers followed a motorcycle close. I don't understand the change. I some times just pull over and let them pass if the road is straight and they want to go faster. Let them.

Last edited by twitchy; 05-20-2020 at 01:59 PM..
Old 05-20-2020, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Good luck with your choice. I was smitten by an 1100s 10 years ago. Quirky looking and full of character. It was my first BMW. I never wanted one as I saw them as old man bikes.

The bike I came from was a VTR1000 and before that a late VFR750

I loved the v4 of the VFR and the howl it produced with a decent exhaust. It made me feel like a superbike rider. I love my r11000s more though. So much so I sold it. Ok I sold it to buy a super low mileage boxer cup replica.

I have a hinkly triumph in my collection. (93 900 tiger) I hope they have improved the design. Simple maintenance jobs take forever. You have to remove the carbs to check the airfilter. The air filter is not available separately. You have to buy the whole airbox. I could go on. I love that for the howl of the triple at wide open throttle.

That 1 bmw has now turned into 9. So I am a little biased.

If you find a 2nd tier bmw specialist to work on them the servicing and repair costs are no more expensive than any other bike. In fact I find the boxers cheaper to maintain well than any other bike I have had.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
Old 05-21-2020, 12:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
el Cheapo

Garage
I have owned two R1100Ss, VFR800s & one Sprint 1050, depending on your physical condition, I feel the VFR800 is a very forgiving ride, more so than the R1100S.

After a long hours in the saddle, the vibration of the Boxer engine can cause fatigue without most rider noticing, when compared to same amount of saddle hours on a VFR or Blackbird as sport tourer.

Sprint 1050 was very much like the VFR, just more difficult to find parts when needed when compared to Honda. Comfort level for touring is right between the R1100S & VFR. It didn't hold its value as well as BMW or Honda, so once I sold it I didn't try to look for another one.

Currently, I have a R1200S and 2000 VFR still in my garage.
I think as I get older, I spend less & less time on motorcycles, more time on bicycles.
If I have to keep just one motorcycle, VFR it would be, good thing I can keep multiple bikes.

Last edited by "A"; 05-21-2020 at 12:45 PM..
Old 05-21-2020, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Talk Less, Say More

Location: Moab Utah. Home of wierd red & orange radioactive stuff...
Garage
The biggest risks with the bike are financial.

1) Major mechanical problems can happen, the spline shearing most aggravating, sometimes ABS, fuel pump failures. There were over 80,000 of these bikes made worldwide, so when a spline does fail you'll hear about it - but you don't hear about the other bikes without issues. Plus, a spline shear immediately leaves you dead in the water, usually for a year as you sort it out.

2) Selling the bike. The R1100S is a niche bike. And people love it or hate it. Selling seems to be to a closed / small market, and it could end up being "garage art." So I say get a pretty one! It does seem things are improving and there are a lot of enthusiasts on the Facebook R1100S group. Not sure if they are mainly Europeans though.

This board grew into both an enthusiast board and "how to" technical board. Most of the member's wanted to know how to perform maintenance and repairs themselves on this donkey bike. So EVERYTHING is here, buried within the threads back to 1998 or so... Best first thing to learn is how to expertly search if you have an interest in doing things yourself.
Old 05-21-2020, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
What I didn't say about my 2014 Honda VFR 800 is that I didn't realize what an awesome motorcycle it was until I got it home and started to put some mileage on it. I have put close to 8,000 miles on it since last July and I am amazed all the time how beautiful it is to just ride it. It isn't bad at anything. The sound of the motor as it winds up is a joy to listen too.
Old 05-21-2020, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

I am a VFR guy as well as a BMW guy:

Runs perfect, always. I'm especially fond of the" clutch under glass" , eye catching mod
and gets it's share of WTF's!

Old 05-21-2020, 10:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: