Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Aftermarket Shocks for a Newbie

I've been riding for 40 years, but I've never replaced shocks on a bike -- closest I ever came was installing Gold Valves on a Honda VTR1000. And I've never had a bike that I thought "this thing is unrideable, and it's because of the damn shocks!" (I did notice that the VTR rode much smoother when I was commuting as a student, with about 15 pounds of books in a tail bag; and I was surprised riding a new-to-me 748s through Idaho that I could feel each individual tar snake through the bars, whereas if I'd been riding the VTR, I would have expected just a general mushy slide while leaned over and hitting snakes. And a Burgman 650 I had tended to be wallowy when pushed hard. Those are the sum total of my suspension-related observations the whole time I've been riding.)

So I'm not a razor's-edge rider, and I'm not looking to shave another quarter second off my lap times, but EVERYBODY seems to rave about upgraded suspensions, and I can finally afford to do something to my R1100S (a bike I consider a keeper), so...

I have a short commute most of the year, longer day rides occasionally, and a week or two on the road when I can manage it. I'd like the longer trips to be more comfortable, and would be glad if I could adjust between commuting settings (not much extra weight) and distance settings (20-30 pounds in the bags & top box). I weigh probably 175-180 in my 'Stich, helmet & boots.

What should I be looking for in new suspenders?

Old 06-29-2020, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered Agitator

Garage
Ohlins make it ride like on a cloud all while keeping all that wheel movement in control. Along with complete tunability for whatever ride you want. Be sure to get the remote preload for the rear. Only downside is $$$.
Old 06-30-2020, 05:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Get with Ted Porter and the Beemer Shop (San Francisco area I think). There are several options for shocks. I put Wilbers on mine. Ohlins were my first choice but they dodn't make a shock for the rear any more. The Wilbers have been a VAST improvement over the stockers. I had backed all the adjustments off to their stops and they were still too damn harsh, like the compression damping was locked up. The ride with Wilbers is cushy and controlled.

Frank
35 years, 500,000+ BMW miles
Old 06-30-2020, 05:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Call Ted. He'll ask you about your riding style, etc and make a suggestion. If you' re not up to setting suspensions, go to a local shop, one with some racing experience, and pay them to set the bike up for you. That will transform the bike.

Old 06-30-2020, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: