Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
sɹǝʇndɯoɔ sǝʇɐɥ

Garage
Talking Serious advice needed

So a scammer contacted me regarding my WTB post. I decided to see how far I could
go / what I could do to annoy them or waste their time. I'm at the point of sell already
(this person has been very dry) and need ideas.

On Jul 8, 2020 11:24 PM, "Mark Sulky" wrote:
Hey there!

I’m contacting you about the Throttlemeister Bar Ends. I’m interested. Can you tell me
if they are the ceramic or titanium model? Doesn’t matter really, I still want them either
way!!

Mark

Now this is a picture copied from here somewhere:

https://www.google.com/search?q=throttlemeister+bmw&client=firefox-b-d&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwinopjpk8jqAhVhZTUKHbyVA7sQ_AUoAnoECA0QB A&biw=1440&bih=775

On Jul 9, 2020 12:57 PM, "Mark Sulky" wrote:
Yes! Ceramics!

Are these used much? I just want to make sure the ring restrictor is still in working
order. If so I will definitely take them.

Little things like this can be fun . Also if the person was for real, I would think after a
few statements like this they would be asking WTF I was talking about.

Never been used

How much are you asking for the set? [/COLOR]

Sorry for replying late, I'm selling a set for $100

On Jul 10, 2020 12:32 PM, "Mark Sulky" wrote:

Do you have any more sets? I know others who need them for their 1100s trikes.

No I don't have anymore

At this point I'm a little bummed. I was hoping the scammer was going to go for a
bigger payday but, it looks like they are being conservative / cautious. It made me
think twice too but then, there's that stock image. If they are going after a bigger
payday they'd be more likely it is that I could string them along for a while. I realize I
could have tried to go a little further here but think that they will just stop talking if I do.

On Jul 11, 2020 5:02 AM, "Mark Sulky" wrote:

I’m interested in them.

Oh okay what is your address

On Jul 11, 2020 11:28 PM, "Mark Sulky" wrote:

9 S Main St, Waynesville, NC 28786

This is the address to the local police department.

Okay so how are you paying because I only accept cashapp or zelle

This seals the deal here. Don't use these services for purchasing from people. There's
no tracking or recourse.

Now I'm not sure how I should respond. I'm considering just throwing in the towel and
adding their address to a spam bot.

I need some ideas.

Old 07-12-2020, 09:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
sɹǝʇndɯoɔ sǝʇɐɥ

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wswartzwel View Post
You realize the scammer reads these posts too.. Thats how he found you.
They might, but I think it's more likely they are circling the the buy/sell forums, here
and elsewhere, chumming the waters for a bite. I doubt that these people could give a
**** about BMW S bikes. Maybe they do and if they did I don't care too much as I have little to no personal info listed.

If it's somebody on the board that's pretty ****ed up.... .
Old 07-12-2020, 10:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
unsafe at any speed

I doubt it is a regular poster. Good luck on your search for the throttlemeisters. aftermarket stuff is getting harder to come by. I have all the goodies for mine that were offered over the years. Some i use some I save... extra Polarian HID... anodized Barbacks to match my Motoyoyo clamps... etc... I still keep my eyes out for stuff as no one makes it any more. Hope you can find what you need. enjoy your local roads. I always have a blast when I ride in your backyard.

Last edited by wswartzwel; 07-12-2020 at 10:33 AM..
Old 07-12-2020, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
sɹǝʇndɯoɔ sǝʇɐɥ

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wswartzwel View Post
I doubt it is a regular poster. Good luck on your search for the throttlemeisters. aftermarket stuff is getting harder to come by. I have all the goodies for mine that were offered over the years. Some i use some I save... extra Polarian HID... anodized Barbacks to match my Motoyoyo clamps... etc... I still keep my eyes out for stuff as no one makes it any more. Hope you can find what you need. enjoy your local roads. I always have a blast when I ride in your backyard.

Zero posts.

SO YOU'RE THE ONE TEARING UP MY GRASS!!!

Lot's of silver ones for sale. I'm holding out for black or black fluted. I have the right one but lost the left one .
Old 07-12-2020, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Tell her you're old and you don't really understand computerized banking. Ask if it's OK if you just send your account number and let her handle it.
'07 CBR600RR
Old 07-12-2020, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

This is scary. I have a feeling I'm going to sell my 2004 1100S in the next year or two - along with some goodies - but I don't want to deal with knobs. I figure I'll post it here, hoping it gets a good home.
Old 07-12-2020, 03:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

R1100s

Garage
This is a very common scam in Australia..probably worldwide, on motorcycles and cars.

""Thanks for getting back, I'm cool with the price likewise the condition, I work with New Zealand Oil and Gas (NZOG) and we are presently offshore in New Zealand Taranaki Basin.
We do not have access to phone at the moment and that's why I contacted you with internet messaging facility. I will be paying you through PayPal linked up with my Westpac bank account, please get back to me with your Paypal details, I have also contacted my courier who will come for pick up and deliver it to my place in Darwin after the whole fund has been cleared into your acct.""

If you are advertising your items for sale through print and online classifieds, beware of scammers posing as genuine buyers. Scammers may make up stories such as needing your help to pay an agent or third party for upfront costs like transportation or insurance. They may promise you reimbursement for these costs.

Alternatively the scammer may send a cheque for more money than the agreed sale price. The scammer will invent an excuse for the overpayment, such as to cover the fees of an agent or extra shipping costs, or that it was simply human error. The scammer will then ask you to refund the excess amount – usually through an online banking transfer, pre-loaded money card, or a wire transfer – before you discover that their cheque has bounced. See Overpayment scams for more information.

In both cases, you will lose the money you gave the scammer, and if you have already sent the item you were selling, you will lose it as well.
2006 Subaru WRX STI S204 #318 / 600
2018 VW Golf R Grid edition
Old 07-12-2020, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

This is the exact same protocol the used with me recently. Once they get to paying with a non-secure payment processor you can tell it's a fraud.

Additionally, it's easy to use Google's image search to determine if the photos are real are stolen from an online source.

Mullet
Bend, OR
Old 07-14-2020, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
'07 R1200S

Garage
I got you hooked up. Calling
Old 07-14-2020, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
sɹǝʇndɯoɔ sǝʇɐɥ

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellfishtat View Post
I got you hooked up. Calling
Thank you sir! I'm glad I posted this thread!

Old 07-15-2020, 03:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: