Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Quicker Throttle

Is there any kind of quick throttle available for these bikes?

My 2002 Moto Guzzi Le Mans (RIP) came with a switchable Magura throttle assembly with a slow side and a quick side. Take apart the throttle grip, flip over the cam, and presto; slow or fast, you get to pick. Just flipping over to the fast side made the response way quicker, which is just about the only thing I miss now that I have the Beemer. It seems to take a serious turn on the grip to get anything happenning, although there is plenty happenning when you finally get there.

Any thoughts?

03 BMW R1150GS
01 BMW R1100S (sold)
01 KTM Duke II (for sale)
Old 06-26-2003, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I've noticed having to grab a bit of a second handful at times too. I doubt there's an alternative though, and I don't think it'll take long to get used to it....but a nice 1/4 turn throttle would be as welcome as the flowers in May.
Old 06-26-2003, 09:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Have you had a chance to check out ?

They do a variety of 1/4 turn kits.

HTH
'91 K1 "Red/Yellow"
'08 Honda Civic Type R
Old 06-26-2003, 10:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The Magura 314 sounds just like what came as OEM on the Le Mans.

I wonder what the chances are of making any of those work on the Beemer.

I see they offer a wheel kist for their Pro Turbo model. Just changing the actual wheel might be the answer.

Phlegm at Eleven.
03 BMW R1150GS
01 BMW R1100S (sold)
Old 06-27-2003, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
No Info on (t)his member

Garage
Well, *my* 99 S is( has ) a 1/4 turn throttle.
From the Faktory.

jeff
mebbe just go out to the garage, and *really* look at it...
82 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
Old 06-30-2003, 08:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

My 99 uses 90 degrees of rotations also. I actually took a very close look when I was checking my throttle position input for the power commander.

Eron
Old 06-30-2003, 10:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I have done this in the past, not on a BMW, but the pully that the cable pulls on I split radially with a "rod" saw, took out a slice and welded in back together so it was snail shaped, throttle starts out normal so you have good control, then after abt 1/3rd open it becomes more quick acting. Next time your at the health club (yeah right) take a look at the "Nautalis Machine"!
Infinity Q45, Toyota Tundra

Last edited by Dave Hopkins; 07-01-2003 at 09:05 AM..
Old 06-30-2003, 10:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I don't understand the post that says the 99S has a quicker throttle. Is this something I can order?
Old 07-01-2003, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

just getting this back to the top of the forum in hopes of a clear answer.
Old 07-07-2003, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

When I had the grips off of the throttle tube to replace them, I discovered that the throttle wheel is an integral unit with the tube and therefore not easily replaceable. This means that none of the Motion Pro wheel kits could be used without considerable modifications, especially if grip heaters are involved.
03 BMW R1150GS
01 BMW R1100S (sold)
Old 07-07-2003, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

The answer is not at the grip, it is at the pully the cable pulls on! The pully needs to be bigger and or snail cam type!
Old 07-07-2003, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Don't you mean smaller rather than larger?

Wouldn't a smaller pulley give me more degrees-of-rotation VS inches of cable movement?
03 BMW R1150GS
01 BMW R1100S (sold)
Old 07-07-2003, 01:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Sorry, smaller is correct! As I am talking about the "pulled" pully it is like a "rear" sprocket, smaller faster, bigger more leverage. When I did this before it was on a car, I felt the throttle was too sensitive so I cut the pully with a "rod" type hacksaw and welded it back together making in snail shapped. I also did this back in 1970. Husqvarna's had been using a 32mm carb and stepped up to a 36. Magura did not have a suitable throttle so we where well over the 90 degree turn that is the most a rider can deal with. Anyway I built up a snail shaped piece inside the twist grip to make it progressive, I had the slow throttle off idle for good control then it went fast to get full open at about 75 degrees.
Old 07-07-2003, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Little side trip here.....................think compound bows(archery world),look at how the "cams" or wheels have evolved in the last 10-15
years.To think that we are still puckin around with currently available throttle sleeves and the wheels on the intake is a joke.
PS had a 1/4 turn throttle on a superbike 20+ years ago and it was nice!I've given thought to this issue(beemer world) and will again put whats left of my brain to comin up with a logical approach.Very interesting post/topic.
Old 07-08-2003, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

BWS
We have to look at the radius of the pully at the point where the cable comes off the pully! This may be several degrees areound the pully from the eyelet where the cable hooks. The similar deal I did on a car with a "rod" saw I cut straight in from just behind the eyelet towards center, then once inboard of the eyelet I cut radially around the pully well past the point where the cable comes off, bent it down and rewelded it. In my MX days I tried many combos and about 70 degrees is NICE. Getting to 70 progressivly, say the first 30 degrees the same ratio we have now (about 90 to 100 degrees?), then getting quicker to end at 90 is heaven! As it is I never open the throttle in the lower gears as it is too slow to close, out on the open road I will opened it in the higher gears but it requierse a re-grip, which is OK on the open road but scarry in situations where you may want to shut down quickly.
Old 07-08-2003, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Obviously we're all gonna desire characteristics that enhance our own style.What works for me here in the mnts. might make zero sense to a rider in ___ (pick somewhere).I do know that I'd like to be able to accurately predict how and when the effects of a "custom" pully will be noticed.IOWs,don't want to find out that its a little progressive while scrapin pegs on a strafing mission.So in my mind the first thing is to plot what the factory is using.Cable movement in mm's to amt. of pulley rotation.Then rev the bloomin thing to a specific rpm,mark pulley at some convenient spot,then figure where that rev is within my turn plan.Knowing that I stay mainly in 3rd and occasionally hit the limiter and nail 4th answers a cpl questions in my case(this where everybody's different).A nice feature would be an adj. pulley,but simply having say 3,stock,little over and then a touch steeper yet maybe cheaper to produce?The downside to that is the install time.The adj. unit would be much faster in that respect.I may go down to raceshed tonight and give some serious thought to it.

Old 07-08-2003, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: