Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

BT020's

As long as I am up here on this soapbox...

I just put a new set of BT020's (120, 170) on my bike because of how well I thought they worked on my Guzzi V11 Le Mans.

Compared to the hammered D205's I took off, the bike turns A LOT better.

But, it seems to feel a little weird turning left compared to how "normal" it feels when turning right.

Has anyone else noticed anything like this?

Does anyone else have any comments about using these tires on the S?

Inquiring minds want to KNOW! >8]

03 BMW R1150GS
01 BMW R1100S (sold)
01 KTM Duke II (for sale)
Old 07-03-2003, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I'm running BT020's right now, up to about 5,500 miles and no wear bars, but getting close on the back. If you're a knee dragger, they're not for you, but for all around use I've been pleased. I like them quite a bit and I am debating between these again or the Michelin Pilot Roads in a month or so.
Old 07-03-2003, 07:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to dezntz
I have the 020 on the back and a 010 on the front. I replace a 010 on the rear with the 020. I have about 2K on the 020 and really can not tell too much difference. I have about 6K ( it is thrashed!!) on the front tire and debating wether or not to go to the 020 on the front. I went through the rear 010 in about 3,500 miles and wanted something that would last me a little longer. to this point it looks like the 020 is holding up pretty good. Plus they are pretty cheap through Chapparal!!!

Bill

01 1150GS

95 Mustang GT
Old 07-04-2003, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Cool

I just changed from Dunlop's to the Bridgestone set up (front & back) last week. Whilst I had a Sportmax touring on the front I had a 207 on the rear. I immediately noticed the difference with the turn in on the front end. On the way back from the bike shop, almost took the end off a corner as the bike turned in so fast. With the softer more round Dunlops on the front it must turn extremely quickly.

Old 07-06-2003, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob in Tucson
I'm running BT020's right now, up to about 5,500 miles and no wear bars, but getting close on the back.

and I am debating between these again or the Michelin Pilot Roads in a month or so.
My '04 Prep came with Pilot Sports. I've been very happy with them on this bike....and I've had them on previous bikes and liked them a great deal. The rear was to the wear bars at 4,700 miles so I started looking around, sort of at the last minute once I found out I had Saturday free for a long ride around Colorado.

I replaced the rear with a Pilot Road, and took off on a 350 mile ride Saturday. I am impressed, within the first 100 miles I went up Berthoud Pass' switchbacks and they stuck like glue. They were fine the whole day on all kinds of roads. With a 2,500 mile weekend trip coming up, I hope they are truly a "mileage tire" compared to the Sports. I'll know after the last weekend of July when I get back from a CO-UT-NV-CA and back weekend.
Old 07-06-2003, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

My '02 came with Pilot HiSports, which I liked a lot but were toast by 3,500 miles with pretty bad cupping on the front. I'll be curious to know how your "Roads" stand up to the long ride.

As an aside, I envy you guys in CO. I just finished a loop through AZ-UT-CO (northern turn-around at Red Rocks near Morrison, CO, not too far from you Blake). The riding in southern Colorado has to be some of the best anywhere, and whenever I am there I find myself scheming to move there, somewhere...
Old 07-07-2003, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Bob,

I moved here about 3 years ago....and have loved every minute of it.
I lived in Vegas for 8 years, and we headed down to your neck of the woods for many of our trips. Every ride into AZ had to include the Devil's Hwy from the Clifton/Morenci area to Alpine/Springerville.

I remember responding to someone's thread about front tire cupping by saying mine don't show signs of cupping....well, it does now!

The front Pilot Sport is showing a weird cupping pattern too....the tread blocks don't cup like I'm used to seeing, they are cupping in a real short section of tread - and not every tread block is doing it.
It's enough that even with servicable tread left on the tire, I will replace it before my upcoming blitz to California and back for the weekend. I will likely put another Sport up front though, I'm very happy with it.
Old 07-07-2003, 11:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Old Route 666 is a real treat. Here's a ride description for those interested (by guys who ride Blackbirds of all things ):

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/newhome.html?/stories/route666/index.html&2

Obligatory thread-related content: I agree that real cupping is reason enough to toss a tire...
Old 07-07-2003, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Bob, would you be interested in doing a day ride one of these weekends? I could meet you in winkelman or thereabouts. Cruise the Salt River or something along those lines?

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of
arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to
skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming,"'WOO HOO! What a ride!"
Old 07-07-2003, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Ride? Sure thing. Ping me offline bob_steidl@hotmail.com

(note underscore between first and last name)
Old 07-07-2003, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob in Tucson
Old Route 666 is a real treat. Here's a ride description for those interested (by guys who ride Blackbirds of all things

hey....the last time I rode the debbil road, I was on a '99 Blackbird!

Blake
Old 07-07-2003, 06:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Wow, that was meant as a bait for you Blake... Glad to see it worked!

Old 07-07-2003, 06:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: