Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Replacing Heated Grips

I did a search on this, but I did not find any definitive answers, so...

Has anyone successfully replaced the oem grips with aftermarket ones on a bike equiped with the oem grip heating elements?

Any gotcha's to be aware of?

I am planning to use compressed air to remove/replace the grips, as this is the best way I have found so far.

Any thoughts?

03 BMW R1150GS
01 BMW R1100S (sold)
01 KTM Duke II (for sale)
Old 07-05-2003, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to BMW Atlanta Send a message via Yahoo to BMW Atlanta
ummmmmmmm dont recommend it at all. Never tried it but I am almost certain it will not work. I believe the heating elements are between the rubber and plastic core and by removing the current rubber grip there will be a good chance the heating element will be ruined. But the bigger issue is that you will not find a metric handle bar grip for such a big bar(the core of the BMW heated grip) Good luck, I would be interested in your findings and will gladly sell you a set of BMW heated grips to replace yours if you come to the conclusion half way through as I think you will. Unfortunately some of the neat BMW features have to stay the BMW way so to speak.
Old 07-05-2003, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

oh and compressed air will get you absolutely no where in removing the stock grips. There is no where to compress it. The grip is an overlay, not a balloon so to speak of. Just think of your bar ends, where do the bolt to? and where do you think the wires for the heated grips go? No place to trap air at all. The only hope in removing them will to be scoring the grip with a razor being very very careful not to damage the heating elements, which I think will be about impossible, but worth a shot for someone else to take.
Old 07-05-2003, 12:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

and on other thing, are you aware that there are now two styles of heated grip available for the "S"? The standard comfort grips and a newer style Boxer Cup race grip that is available with or without heated elements.
Old 07-05-2003, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

< This is correct.

< This is not.

To get the grips off, all you have to do is remove the bar end weights, peel back the adhesive located on the leading and trailing 5mm of each grip, and then use your compressed air blow handle carefully to shoot some air under the outside edge of the grip, and they come right off with no damage to the heating elements underneath.

It appears that the grips are glued on to very similar throttle tubes on both left and right handgrips which requires that you use two right-hand grips. The glue appears to be used only to locate the grips, not to prevent them from turning around the grip tube because there is no adhesive between the heating elements and the grips themselves. The glue is only on the inside and outside 5mm of each grip, and is easily removed with a small knife without damaging the heatoing elements.

Of course, this is on my 2001 SA, and YMMV.
03 BMW R1150GS
01 BMW R1100S (sold)
01 KTM Duke II (for sale)
Old 07-05-2003, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

They are probably the same heated element as on my R1150R. I have replaced the grips twice already. I like the foam ones the best. I pull back the old grip and CAREFULLY use a razor blade to help me remove it. I then put new ones on. No problem.

Old 07-05-2003, 11:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: