Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Barback King

Rog,
Concerning the pogoing...
I'm looking at the preload formula at about 1/2 front to 1 rear.
Tell me if this sounds right.
I have 30 clicks prload total rear, set at 15.
I have about 21 clicks preload front, set at 7.
Rear - compression at 1 or 2.
Front - no compression adjustment.
Your thoughts...

Old 08-07-2003, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Hang Ten !!!

Cool

Rapid, does the formula work?

02 R1100SBC
nesba 61
wera 261
Old 08-07-2003, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Randy buddy, I'm not even sure what that all means, seriously
There is no formula or particular relationship front to rear.

Clicks are not important here, You just have to set the sag right.
However many clicks that takes is how many it takes.

Don't know what compression at 1 or two means either. Out from full in, or in from full out. But you give no frame for even arbitrary reference. How many clicks are there. Unless it's like only 4 or 5, then 1 or 2 is not likely even in the ballpark.

OnRoad OffRoad Cycles, Austin, TX: BMW, Ital, Suspension, Electrics
Dealer for K-Tech, JRI, GP Suspension, Penske, ÷hlins, RaceTech, Elka, Wilbers, IKON & Works
www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841
Various Formula 5, 6 & 7 championships 2006-2012

A3, Navigator,
Old 08-07-2003, 09:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Barback King

Oh, sorry about the vagueness.
Fox shocks have a rear compression setting wheel, numbered 1 thru 8, 8 being the most compression damping.
Rebound on the rear has a collar that clicks 30 times from least damping(0) to highest damping (30).
Front has a collar also for rebound compression 21 clicks (0) least damping to (21) highest damping.
Make sense?
It seems to make sense if I have the preload/sag set at the recommended levels, then to make the bike ride level (no pogoing), the there might be a general rule of thumb formula, like 1/2 the rebound in front to whatever it's set in the rear.
May sound crazy, but I'm trying to get a handle on how do my settings for different conditions, i.e. Solo/Freeway, Solo/Twisties, Bags/Freeway, Bags/Twisties, etc...
Old 08-07-2003, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Hang Ten !!!

Cool

Now "sag" (correct me if I am wrong) is set by spring pre-load, independent of "dampening".
And your dampening ("clicks") are dialed in after that, usually to a baseline setting of some sort, then fine tuned thru trial and error, allowing for personal preference, speed, road surface to name a few variables.
You could be onto something with this "ratio" idea.
Have you made any progress?
Old 08-11-2003, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

My understanding is:
Once the shocks are set up correctly, you on the bke and so on, all you should need to do is dial in some extra preload for heavier loads, passenger, bags and beer, or beer forget the ole bag/ passenger.
Old 08-11-2003, 05:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Been Nowhere Done Nothing

Found an old thread here.
I've been trying to dial in my Sag with these newly purchased Ohlin shocks I had built. Are most of you using the 30% front 25% rear formula. My shock builder said they would be built and shouldn't need any adjustment out of the box. I think the bike is actually riding fairly well but I haven't been able to push it hard in the turns. It seems to be tracking good. I've checked the Sag and the rear is right on the 25% but the front is at 26.4%. I'm thinking of adjusting the front Preload to get it to 30%. It's at 29mm and my figures show it should be 33mm so a little under 3/16". Plan to loosen the preload ring a turn and a half. I've been told one turn usually equals 1/8".
Does this sound right to you guys with the experience setting up the S suspension?
Old 02-20-2021, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejfbmw View Post
Now "sag" (correct me if I am wrong) is set by spring pre-load, independent of "dampening".
And your dampening ("clicks") are dialed in after that, usually to a baseline setting of some sort, then fine tuned thru trial and error...
+1 Listen to Roger too he knows what he's talking about, suspension he's done for has been awesome...
Old 02-21-2021, 02:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamper View Post
Found an old thread here.
I've been trying to dial in my Sag with these newly purchased Ohlin shocks I had built. Are most of you using the 30% front 25% rear formula. My shock builder said they would be built and shouldn't need any adjustment out of the box. I think the bike is actually riding fairly well but I haven't been able to push it hard in the turns. It seems to be tracking good. I've checked the Sag and the rear is right on the 25% but the front is at 26.4%. I'm thinking of adjusting the front Preload to get it to 30%. It's at 29mm and my figures show it should be 33mm so a little under 3/16". Plan to loosen the preload ring a turn and a half. I've been told one turn usually equals 1/8".
Does this sound right to you guys with the experience setting up the S suspension?
You are getting carried away with numbers, the best piece of kit you will ever have for setting up suspension is a pen an paper, go out for a set ride and iím not Talking around the block, you need to ride miles on different kinds of road, make notes on setting adjustments.

Never mind the view concentrate on what the bike is doing...not sure WTF is going on make a drastic adjustment untill you have that light bulb moment on what works what......setting up your sus to your taste you may was well be talking women , numbers mean nothing itís what works for you.
Tiger 955
R1100s
Old 02-21-2021, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

I just wanted to get the sag to optimize the geometry of the bikes design for. When close tune it to my liking and riding style.
I just reset my sag, I'll be able to check where it's at tomorrow. Riding feels really good in the turns so I'll probably leave it where it's at no matter what the numbers say. I think it'll be around 32mm.
Old 02-21-2021, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Registered

I dread to think how much iíve Spent on aftermarket sus over the years and still have most of it, never got on with the front Ohlins because it was longer than the stocker and stood the front if the bike up, my mistake....I should have got it shortened, but at the time when i ran the stocker on the front and the Ohlins on the back the bike did exactly what I wanted, so I sold it....just to show what 1100s owners were like in those days he paid me more than I was asking...

So Leasky if you are still out there mate hope you are good.
Tiger 955
R1100s
Old 02-22-2021, 02:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Just for the record we remeasured the Sag and it ended up being at 34mm. Close to what I figured it should be (30% = 33mm). I'm going to leave it here as the bike is tracking really nice.

Old 02-22-2021, 11:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: