Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Chip Advise Needed

I have recently installed a zTechnik exhaust, SJ duct and filter, and a Vanderlinde chip on my 2001 SA.

My bike gets the same gas mileage as before and seems to have a bit more zip (according to my calibrated butt dyno), but it backfires on overrun and produces that famous (notorious?) surge on light throttle, neither of which it did when stock.

I like the added sound and power, but I am not willing to put up with the backfiring and surging to get it.

Any recommendations for an alternative chip or some other remedy?

03 BMW R1150GS
01 BMW R1100S (sold)
01 KTM Duke II (for sale)
Old 09-20-2003, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

i installed a vanderlinde chip/pipe a few months ago and had the same problem. the key for me was to carefully adjust the valves and synch the throttles. take your time and get them set as accurately as you can. i also changed the plugs to bosch 4 electrode platinums, but that didn't seem to matter too much.
it still pops occasionally on deacceleration, but it's not excessive and it doesn't bother me. it'll always do that to some extent.
i think the chip also changes the personality of the bike, and it took me a while to get used to it. before i installed it, i usually kept it within 3500 to 5500 rpms for casual riding. now i tend to rev it higher (4000 to 6000), because that's where it runs best (also sounds great too).
good luck--hope that helps
Old 09-20-2003, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks for the input.

I adjusted the valves today so that I could do a more serious TB balance. With the air bleed screws set to about 1/2 turn out to get it to idle, I found that the right TB stop was a little out. After getting that right, I adjusted the TB's at about 3500-4000 to get them even. Then, I opened up the airbleeds evenly to get about 1100 rpm idle speed.

It seems to have a lot better throttle response now, and after a little run tonight, I will see if any of that helped.

The PO installed NGK dual electrode plugs, which now at almost 14k miles probably don't owe me much. Maybe some fresh new Bosch ones might help some too.

Email me offline if you like.
profwacko@v11lemans.com

03 BMW R1150GS
01 BMW R1100S (sold)
01 KTM Duke II (for sale)
Old 09-20-2003, 08:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: