Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Brisk spark plugs

Where can I get these?

Anyone have the part number for the Bosch 4303 equivalent?

Inquiring minds want to KNOW!

03 BMW R1150GS
01 BMW R1100S (sold)
01 KTM Duke II (for sale)
Old 09-21-2003, 01:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

You aint the only one.I,m sure chris will have something to say on this one.
gus
Old 09-21-2003, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

there is a place in canada, have used the plugs as has firebolter. they ran well. would run them again, just need to order some, but find out equivalents for the twin spark setup.

repoe3
2004 R1100SBX
Old 09-21-2003, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Jan Max

Hey guys, the last set of Brisk Plugs I ordered came from Jan Max out of Canada.

Here's the link: http://plugs.janmax.com/cross.aspx

bv
Old 09-21-2003, 06:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I've been chaseing some Brisk plugs for a time now,if you live in Germany or close on the Dutch boarder in Europe your OK,but anywhere else is a struggle,what concerned me is when look at the Brisk site,they list two plugs depending on weather you use an an after market chip or not,so it's a pretty fine line with them.

I asked a Dutch friend if he could get me some,I had a list of dealers out of a German mag,he phoned me back and said they were reluctant to sell them to him without haveing the bike to set it up,RoB W has them so maybe he can say more,but I have to say after the trouble Malc had with his BBP chip at the moment i've dropped the idea of the plugs.

Chris
Old 09-21-2003, 11:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Exclamation brisk, pro and contra

All,

There have been long-running and at times very bitter discussions regarding Brisk plugs on the various German language boards. (boxer-forum.de and r1100s.de)

Some owners and dealers have openly stated that Brisk plugs caused engine failure and serious damage. Apparently setting up the engine is the be all and end all with these plugs.

Other riders have written almost religous prose in the plugs defence claiming that they dont know their machines anymore as they run so well and so smoothly.

Interestingly brisk (Germany) have added a complete section to their website (German content) concerning the engine damage.

If you are interested the link to brisk.de is here , and the Motorschaden page is here .

Pictures showing the alledged engine failures etc can be found here (non brisk site).

HTH
'91 K1 "Red/Yellow"
'08 Honda Civic Type R

Last edited by webby; 09-22-2003 at 10:03 AM..
Old 09-22-2003, 02:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I will be the first one to admit that I do not know everything there is to know about engines, but that damaged piston looks like a casualty of massive detonation.

Please correct me if I am wrong (he said, while buttoning up his Kevlar vest...), but I do not think that changing brands of spark plugs of similar heat range in an otherwise healthy engine can cause undetectable detonation of this degree. I am saying "undetectable" because if you continue to run an engine under power that is making the kind of racket that this should have made, the engine failure should be attributed to pilot error.

Any thoughts?

BTW, I have already ordered a pair of the DOR14LGS.
03 BMW R1150GS
01 BMW R1100S (sold)
01 KTM Duke II (for sale)
Old 09-22-2003, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Yes, while running hard (loud exhaust) it's pretty easy to miss detonation (which is much easier to detect at throttle tip in) Ideally, same heat range should be safe, but ideally, no properly sized/ranged plug should be of benefit either. You can't have it both ways. It is unreasonable to to simultaneously expect a plug swap to potentially unlock horsepower, but not have any other (possibly detrimental) effect. Either plugs make a difference, or they don't (I tend towards the latter)

I've read the german language sites and opinion is pretty polarized. Think about it though. The upside, despite populist opinion, is nearly zero for brisk plugs. The downside is debatable, but there. I might as well sprinkle my engine with pixie dust, or maybe bat urine or eye-of-newt.

At any rate, Brisk covered the damage under warranty. Admittedly not the same as an admission of guilt, but they themselves pointed out that no company has a product line with zero-defect rate.

True enough, and they probably hit the nail on the head. Manuf tech being what it is, it is the high volume manufs that get their lines running the most consistently and have the lowest defect rates. True in every industry, at least every mature one. Brisk is small. There are bound to be more defects. The basic design is probably fine, but that doesn't mean an acceptable %-age of the plugs coming of the line are great.

So, no provable upside or downside, but more likelyhood of the latter.

Easy choice for non day dreamer / cloud watcher types

pls note above smiley face

thanks
roger

OnRoad OffRoad Cycles, Austin, TX: BMW, Ital, Suspension, Electrics
Dealer for K-Tech, JRI, GP Suspension, Penske, Öhlins, RaceTech, Elka, Wilbers, IKON & Works
www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841
Various Formula 5, 6 & 7 championships 2006-2012

A3, Navigator,
Old 09-22-2003, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

For Pelican Parts Forums
15% off on Brisk spark plugs ordered between Sept 22, 2003 and Sept 28, 2003 from http://plugs.janmax.com

Promotion Code for Pelican Parts Forums is 37886
Old 09-22-2003, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

FWIW -
I've run the Brisk plugs in my '99 for about a year and a half and about 6000 miles so far and have had no problems, but I never expected anything other than I would expect from any other plug to begin with... They were easy to order from the website and delivered promptly. I also would agree that all things being equal, it would be very unlikely to be able to tell a seat of the pants difference between plugs (unless you have the wrong ones..) Electricity will always follow the path of least resistance no matter how many electrodes are on a plug, so as long as they fire when they're supposed to they work.
Old 09-22-2003, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

But it would have been alot cheaper to buy the stock plugs.Spark plugs alone will never be the magic bullet.I can understand specialty plugs for modified combustion chambers.But stock heads and valves will do just fine with the originals.I think Carlos might be onto something with the Bosch plugs.Reasonable price with good performance.
Old 09-22-2003, 10:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

True, true... I was in a "what the hell" kinda mood that day and decided to give 'em a shot. It was almost worth it when I showed them to my blackbird riding buddy - he was perplexed by the design. they seem to work fine though so I don't think I'll be replacing them before the recommended interval. I'm sure you couldn't go to far wrong with the proper Bosch or NGK.

Old 09-23-2003, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: