Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Extended warranties

What's the consensus out here in Pelican-land regarding the value of aftermarket extended warranties?

My dealer is offering me one that will extend my warranty coverage for an additional 4 years for $1190. I thought at first that this was really expensive when I compared it to the $750 one I bought for my Duke at time of purchase. The Duke one only covers that hard drivetrain parts, but the BMW one covers everything.

Does this seem like a reasonable choice, or something I should not even consider?

My bike is a 2001 SA with 16k miles now.

03 BMW R1150GS
01 BMW R1100S (sold)
01 KTM Duke II (for sale)
Old 10-24-2003, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Thread Killer

It doesn't sound unreasonable. Think about what the chances are that you would spend that much on repairs anyway on a bike that's 3-7 years old. Anything between that and $1190 is wasted, but anything over $1190 is saved. Seems like more potential to go over $1190 by more than you'd stay under it. Plus you pay for the warranty now when you can afford it rather than repairs when you can't. I have no experience, but I'm sure other members of this board have had large bills?

Is it good quality or is there a BMW affiliation?
What's the deductible?
Does it cover seals and gaskets?
What's the deductible?
Is it transferable?
Old 10-24-2003, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Do you keep your motorcycles for a long period of time (and ride them lots)?
Extended warranty prices are very negotiable. You also might want to check with the Service Manager about the Warranty Company and how easy (or hard) they are to work with. What kind of claims they have paid or denied.

Harold
Old 10-24-2003, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

>>keep your motorcycles for a long period of time (and ride them lots)?

Sounds like me. The Guzzi I bought new and rode for 21 months had 40k miles on it. I would still be riding it if State Farm had not totalled it.

I bought my 2001 SA in June of this year, and it had 6200 miles on it. It now has over 16k miles on it.

So, I guess I fit the "keep it a long time and ride it a lot" profile.

Perhaps a little price negotiation is in order.

Thanks for the info.

03 BMW R1150GS
01 BMW R1100S (sold)
01 KTM Duke II (for sale)
Old 10-24-2003, 01:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: