Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Data Acquisition Computer Group Buy Offer

Hi Gang,

Eron and I have talked briefly a couple times about a data acquisition computer that he ran across. The unit is a lambda A/F data logger in stock configuration, but has optional rpm, temp, pressure and general-purpose A/D type inputs. This is a way to REALLY KNOW what your bike is doing, mixture-wise, and more.
I've done pretty extensive reading (they have very complete info on their website, including the full owners manual and a list of upcoming add-ons) and it looks like a great product. Even cheaper than I was going to design/build, at $349 each (not bad for a full datalogging and software system with a WIDE BAND lambda probe)

Anyone else interested in one of these. I've already talked to the company a fair bit, and have agreed to coordinate a group buy, should enough of you be interested. They've agreed to drop that quantity to 5 rather than the normal 12 units. Cost would be 299 and would include shipping, so it's better than 50 bucks off.

Could we get 4 more people interested. Read up on their site.
This thing would allow you to fiddle with a Powercommander or Techlusion or multiposition chip to choose the best mapping actually on the road, which is better, and cheaper than a dyno.
Plus, it can be moved to any bike or car. My intention is to design an accelerometer module to tie into this system. No guarantee yet, but it's a goal.

Info below

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/release.html

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/support/manual/LM-1_Manual.htm

ping me here or at oror@austin.rr.com if interested

regards
roger

OnRoad OffRoad Cycles, Austin, TX: BMW, Ital, Suspension, Electrics
Dealer for K-Tech, JRI, GP Suspension, Penske, Íhlins, RaceTech, Elka, Wilbers, IKON & Works
www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841
Various Formula 5, 6 & 7 championships 2006-2012

A3, Navigator,
Old 12-18-2003, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Thumbs up I like it...

roger,
I'm somewhat interested in this unit...my wisdom tells me to wait for the 2nd generation, however.
Also, I wonder how much less of a price there'd be if the group-buy #'s were higher...as in, posting this info to other forums/lists. The Ducati email list has had a few posts this year enquiring about such a device. If not a reduced price, then perhaps added optional items, etc. Just some thoughts - but my own interest is stimulated.
More questions/comments later as I digest the matter. Thanks for bringing it to light.
Best,
- - Don R. 1994, an excerpt from My Ass From a Hole in the Ground - A Comparative View
Old 12-18-2003, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Count me in for one, if it goes for $299.
03 BMW R1150GS
01 BMW R1100S (sold)
01 KTM Duke II (for sale)
Old 12-18-2003, 02:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I'll take one.
Old 12-18-2003, 03:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

i'm interested. i've forwarded it on to duane, to get his opinion. i'm going down there on sunday to fit the cams to the r1150r, so i'll ask him then.

looks like fun.
'05 Little man
Old 12-19-2003, 05:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the responses. Assuming Brad/Duane stay interested and everyone else is firm, then we just need one more. Cool -- thanks

Roger
DataGeek

Dealer for K-Tech, JRI, GP Suspension, Penske, Íhlins, RaceTech, Elka, Wilbers, IKON & Works
www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841

A3, Navigator,
Old 12-19-2003, 10:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

'Got a Q...

roger,
I'm still very interested.
Question: Do you know if this exhaust clamp is vital to have? As a neophyte in this arena, it seems to me that it would allow a broader application of the LM-1 Digital AFR Meter. Could a person fab one which would suffice? If it's something which one might 'need', do you know if there's a price break on it as well? If you're not sure about the necessity of this and/or a price break, perhaps you could post the name of the person with whom you've been in contact so I may ask them. Or I can wait for your word from them. 'Hope my query is clear.
Thanks.
Exhaust Clamp - Out of Stock! ETA 12/22
Patent-pending, Venturi-effect, tapped exhaust clamp for obtaining accurate lambda measurements in non-cat autos or other engines. - - Our price: $ 75.00
- - Don R. 1994, an excerpt from My Ass From a Hole in the Ground - A Comparative View
Old 12-19-2003, 11:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Don talked to the guys up there himself. He and I are each getting a clamp. We'll just have to experimente at to how useful such a clamp is for a given vehicle. It's a starting point anyway. Not yet sure if there will be a discount on clamps, but if so, it won't be much. Likely just enough so it ends up covering it's postage, and the order remains postage free (that'd be for U.S. folks, not Brad

If Brad is in then we already have enough. If not, then we need just one more. I'm going to start pulling this together the monday or tuesday after xmas. I'm going to trust everyone and get them on order as soon as I have four verbal committments to go with mine and make five. I'll let folks send in M.O.s more or less at their leisure and not hold the order up waiting for them.

www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841

A3, Navigator,
Old 12-19-2003, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Joe
Roger

I'm Interested just a couple questions are the aux inputs protected for overvotage and still high impedance. Their breakout box cable(@$99) is completely passive .........correct??
Old 12-20-2003, 02:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I believe it is Joe, though it might have some sort of conditioning on the input for the inductive input. So, not sure about that input, but am fairly sure the remainder are passive (and yes, that means they're like a lot of companies, possibly making a lot more cash on the cable than the box, at least margin-wise)

I'll have to go over my notes and see what I have on overvoltage protection. My guess is probably not at this pricepoint. With the many embedded boards I deal with at my day-job, that usually doesn't happen at all until above $600 or so.

www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841

A3, Navigator,
Old 12-20-2003, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Roger

My only concern is I might split the cost or lend the unit out to friends how idiot proof is it say like if some one hooked it to a injector trigger which is at 12v potential will the inputs handle minor over-voltage like this or a static discharge there has to be some sort of input buffer maybe diode protected at least?

Any block diagrams or schematics to look at?

I have to say for the price the software package even looks good........ It gives you a lot of adjust ability for making your own sensors and being able to set zero and sensitivity on each channel independent of one another is great.

I'm almost positive I'll take one I like to buy it after I sell this amp.

see if he like some glass valves in trade Somthing non Digital
Old 12-20-2003, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

I understand the concern completely Joe. The units really do seem to be bargains.
And yeah, even the software appears pretty decent. (if you want to see truly impressive moto oriented software, get a demo package of RaceTech's Shock Clock - zowie)

Did some more reading and the manual strongly warns against more than 5V on the inputs. They don't seem interested in supplying internal operating info, but I'm going to work that issue. I think I'll squeeze a bit out, and then more later, if I get set up as a dealer with them, which I may do, especially if I'm going to design any add-ons. That's probably outside of the scope of this purchase's timeframe though.

www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841

A3, Navigator,
Old 12-20-2003, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

count me out at this stage. there is an australian guy who has been emailing myself about his 906 injection project, who got onto duane also. turns out he has been involved in writing software for a low cost wide band sensor that duane is looking at incorporating into specific remapping software stuff.

duane has done/sold this sort of software before with the weber stuff, and he was of the opinion that the logging, etc part of it was the easy bit, and using the info you get is far more involved than most expect. dealing with his stuff is a bit easier for me anyway, given he is so close.

so, put me down as a tyre kicker at this stage.

duane wondered if this is actually the australian one, but i couldn't really tell. it is at

www.wbo2.com

if you'd like a squizz.

the bits i was more concerned about was interfacing/hooking into the correct places to get the tps/rpm/etc outputs fRom the motronic. do you have a specific interface (i really know zip about this stuff) for the bmw?
'05 Little man
Old 12-21-2003, 03:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Thanks for the reply Brad. I'd go with a local guy if possible myself, so I understand the sentiment. The Oz unit looks interesting too.

For now, I"m not even trying to hook into the motronic, but rather to use a combination of sensors connected to the LM1, and those already existing on the bike (TPS) to get my own data. With the LM1 and the Aux-cables, I'll be able to get lambda, rpm, injector duty cycle (by proxy of dwell), TPS, and using a MAP or other sensor, airbox pressure.

For now, I'll just be glad to have the base unit and to get lamda. That alone is enough to know that: A) you're not going dangerously lean anywhere; and: B) Where one can make improvements, +/- , to the mixture; and: C) best of all, what Lambda is on the open road at speed.

I wonder about Eron's bike. It made so much damn power on the dyno, that I can't help thinking it couldnt' have been overly rich, which means it might like a bit more fuel actually on the road at a nice legal 70mph (or, hypothetically, above, you know, if on a track or something)

Flying out this morn, so don't know how much web access I'll have for the next week. I'm waiting for a couple replies from IMS, so I'll post back more when I return and get their replies.

www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841

A3, Navigator,
Old 12-22-2003, 05:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

OK Gang, Here's the scoop.

The LM1 Computers will be $299 each, plus postage. The company doesn't want to mess with a group order, but said they could accommodate us by using my shop (setting me up as a dealer) since they have no rep in texas currently. This is a one-time deal at that price. The order can also include accessories, at 10% off list, plus, postage (which will likely be only a tiny bit more that the approximate 6 bucks for the basic unit postage). Again, if you have basic questions, consult the downloadable manual. I maybe be able to answer a few more.

If you're interested, please let me know by copying my two below email addresses

ralbert@austin.rr.com
ralbert@metrowerks.com

Payment is via check or money order (I'm not picky as I"m lucky enough not to have yet been burned The other option is paypal to the first of the above addresses. Add 3% accordingly as it is a commercial paypal account. Again, to keep your costs low, a check is fine. I want to send the order off by next week. If you give me a verbal/email committment that the check is in the mail, I'll honor that and get the order on the way so your delay in receiving the goods is minimal.

The exhaust probe clamp, which is recommended, will be in stock again next week, so pls disregard the website's indicating otherwise.

As soon as I have four written commitments to buy, and pledges that funds are on the way, I'll place the order.

thanks
roger

www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841

A3, Navigator,
Old 12-30-2003, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Hi all,

We're close to having an order ready. Just need a couple (or more folks to confirm) ProfW and I and VetteRacer/HisBrother are in.

Don? Uber? Joe? Others?

thanks
roger

www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841

A3, Navigator,
Old 01-06-2004, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

OK, uberxy is in.

Just need one more.

Don? Haven't heard back from you yet.
Anyone else?

later
roger

www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841

A3, Navigator,
Old 01-08-2004, 05:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Im in Roger
Whatever the basic system is for general useage.
I need a total $ figure, wil over night a check or moeny order in the AM
Thx,
Acid
acidburn3333@yahoo.com
Old 01-08-2004, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Acid .......you sure you don't want to order an extra motorcycle while you at it.
Old 01-08-2004, 06:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Well actually i have the hots to buy something now, more is better, but the garsh darn new KTMDuke aint out yet, i want one NOW!!!!!!
Was thinkin about a Duc999s, but they are such a POS!!!!

Old 01-08-2004, 06:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: