Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

2001 ABS Bypass

I recently acquired a '03 R1150GS Sport which has no ABS, and I find I MUCH prefer the feel of the brakes without the ABS trying to help me.

The one time I really wanted the ABS to help me on the S, the only result I could discern was that the brakes just went away, leaving me with more speed than I really wanted.

I was trying to scrub off a little speed on a bumpy corner entrance, and the ABS cut in when the front wheel got airborne over the bumps, and then did not come back on until the second bounce. A VERY scary moment indeed.

Is it possible to deactivate the ABS II on my bike? I was thinking of getting aftermarket brake lines and simply bypassing the ABS control unit by directly connecting the front/rear master cylinders with their respective calipers.

Any thoughts, flames, suggestions, etc?

03 BMW R1150GS
01 BMW R1100S (sold)
01 KTM Duke II (for sale)
Old 12-18-2003, 02:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Your money would probably be better spent getting your suspension set up properly. A set of Ohlins shocks will keep those tires in contact with the pavement much better than stock. I noticed that with the OEM shocks, I would sometimes get those unexpected ABS activations under hard braking on bumps. After I installed a set of Ohlins and got them dialed in, I never have had that problem again. The ABS only kicks in when needed or when I deliberately "test" it's operation.
Rhine West chip
Sargent seat
Ilmberger hugger
Cee Baileys windscreen
BMW Navigator II
The finest custom paint on any S I've ever seen.
Old 12-18-2003, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

BTDT on the Ohlins front & rear, and they are really great.

Maybe I need to do some more ABS testing.
03 BMW R1150GS
01 BMW R1100S (sold)
Old 12-18-2003, 06:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Talk Less, Say More

Location: Moab Utah. Home of wierd red & orange radioactive stuff...
Garage
I think some thread searching is in order. I thought there was the ability to turn on and off the ABS during startup. I'm sure it has been discussed before.
Old 12-18-2003, 06:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
No Info on (t)his member

Garage
Hold your finger on the starter button whilst turning the key.
Put tape over the ABS blinkey lights.
Be careful®

jeff
82 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
Old 12-18-2003, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I wonder if this turning off of the ABS will improve the soggy feel at the lever.
03 BMW R1150GS
01 BMW R1100S (sold)
Old 12-18-2003, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Joe
profWacko

Your scenario is exactly why I don't like ABS on a sporty type bike.

Curious did it make you change your line when it didn't slow as you would expect?

My feeling has always been there are more bumpy roads out there......... then the need for panic stopping...so I find the bad effects outweigh not Knowing how to use brakes = ABS

ABS = Almost Braking Substitute

go ahead I just put on the nomex
Old 12-18-2003, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
No Info on (t)his member

Garage
No, the soggy feel is from the pressure valves in the ABS Unit.
If it's rock hard brake feel you want, then ABS ain't gonna make you happy.
It will, however stop you just fine.
Either enabled or disabled..

jeff
82 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
Old 12-18-2003, 08:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Location: While a member here: Japan - Germany - USA - Curently: UK
Hey profWacko,
I’ve seen an S with the latest Integral ABS with bypass brake lines directly from the master cylinder. I‘m very sure one could do it on the ABS II version too (I'm not sure which one you have). I haven’t done this, but I’d guess that one could disable the ABS II by simply installing a larger spacer, or washer, under a wheel speed sensor to separate it far enough from the toothed-ring to fault the ABS computer. I wouldn’t do that with the power assist version simply because I wouldn‘t want power assist brakes without the ABS function.

On my ABS II equipped S, I tried the trick of holding the start button down, then turning the key to start it, robbing the ABS system of the voltage level needed to initiate. The ABS system faulted for a short distance, but it seemed to always correct itself.

MarkC
Old 12-19-2003, 12:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Barback King

profwacko
I raised the question a couple weeks ago also, how do I turn it off?

I believe someone said something about taking off right after start-up before the ABS has a chance to cycle.
Try that.

Joe

My last experience was when riding spiritedly and backing it into a 20mph turn after a short straight.
ABS kicked in and left me upright before the apex...in other words, I was no longer turning.
Scarey ****.
It's then I figured out the real drawbacks to ABS...

In retrospect, I had a get-off last year that I now attribute, at least partially, to that darned ABS kicking in.

Old 12-19-2003, 09:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: