Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via ICQ to Luca
New K1300RS: pics

And here are some details:
http://www.motociclismo.it/edisport/moto/Notizie.nsf/AllDocID/I4D5E5017AA6DC318C1256E2700615207?OpenDocument

250kg and 170hp...I think it's too jap to be a BMW...what do you think about?

Ciao, Luca
Old 01-27-2004, 02:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

certainly very jap-ish in appearance. the front end design looks interesting however. and the weight reduction of over 100 lbs. sounds sweet.
2009 F800GS. has a better saddle. and other stuff. (sold)
2016 R12GSW 3Black. wow.
Old 01-27-2004, 02:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Looks like the new MZ sport bike.
Old 01-27-2004, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Endurologist

Hard to say anything other than is this a Beemer? And the 'spyshots' don't really match the drawing below. Could be anything for that matter!

CB200, XS750, GL1000, GL1100, R80RT, 2xK75S, F650, RF600, ZF600R, 750ss, 888corsa, 900ss, 3xR1100S, K1200R, R1200S, R1200GS
Old 01-27-2004, 10:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

The article translated

BMW K1300RS - Preview
The complete article on Motorcycling of February 2004

For the modernization of the own sport-tourer to 4 cylinders, BMW aims at the maximum technology applied to geometries of up to now unknown motor and ciclistica. With an inferior weight to the 250 kg in order of march and a next power to i 170 CV, the challenge to Suzuki Hayabusa, Kawasaki ZZR and Honda CBR1100XX is in order to be launch.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We will see nearly sure to the next Intermot, the Hall of the motorcycle that with biennial cadence is carried out to Monaco di Baviera.
New K1300RS will not have practically null in common with it puts into effect them K1200RS, if not the fact to belong to the series "K", that is that one of the BMW equipped with the 4 cylinders online. Fine of the analogies, because also the architecture will be various: from the disposition to "sogliola" it is passed to the disposition frontemarcia, oltretutto a lot different from that one adopted from the Japanese propulsori because the cylinders are tilt to you in ahead very 70°.
With one rolled comprised between 1200 and i 1300 cc, new sport-tourer BMW will have a power of approximately 170 CV, value that projects it to full load tito it in faster Mount Olympus of the motion of the world, pleasant "attended locality" from several the Hayabusa, ZZR and CBR-XX.

This new architecture has been chosen according to one more favorable distribution of the weights, "canted" towards the front chassis in order to improve ease of handling, guidabilitą and to lower the barycentre. "a low" motor, moreover, free much space in the high part of the motion, making space to the airbox and consequently improving the respiration of the motor. Also the characteristics of the rectilinear and long feeding benefit some because it allows to design municipal of aspiration, characteristic important for the dowries of I lengthen and elasticitą of the motorand.
There are innovation also to the inside of the propeller. The distribution is commant from a lateral chain that sets in action the wheel bite of the camshaft of drainage; coaxially to this the gear is mounted that sets in action the wheel bite of the camshaft of aspiration. This solution is chosen in order to reduce blocks it of the motor in the zone in which the stirrups of anchorage to the chassis are posizionate . This last one is one structure in aluminum, bibeam to horizontal course, joined to a wide fused posterior portion with motor berthed in the inferior zone. The motor then "is hung" to two risers to the height of the cylinders.

E' all the new also change. Abandoned the longitudinal disposition it has been adopted a more traditional cross-sectional change and consequently they rebuke passes from the skillful side to the left side and viceversa the clutch that will be in the traditional position on the skillful side. They rebuke is contained to the inside of forcellone an monoarm a lot along, in order to improve the traction, bound together to a connected monoshock-absorber to progressive leveraggi. The final conical brace, of new design, adopts the same design of the R1200GS.

The motor therefore "along" has but a defect: it prevents the adoption of a traditional staple because in the phase of sinking the wheel would go to touch the head. Here then that obvious BMW to the disadvantage with one solution of ciclistica outside from the chorus: the staple to parallelogramma, whose geometry of operation is such to prevent the excessive regression of the wheel in the phase of jam.
The images that you can see to side are relative to the prototype surprised from the photographer in phase of test. The wheels to ten razze are noticed, the discs brake of great diameter (will be sure the system ABS), the large noise suppressor of drainage on the skillful side and the imposing fairing much protecting one. In our graphical reconstruction, the transparency of the fairing allows to appreciate the layout of the motor to the inside of the chassis.
Revolution therefore, more than evolution, for the K series, than from 2005 will arrive to giving one jolt to the neglected segment a po' from the Houses, of the sports-tourer to highest performances.

03 R1100SA
85 635CSi
Old 01-27-2004, 10:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Love the wheels hate the exhaust.The rest of the bike still looks like a blackbird with a cardan drivetrain so best pray it's only camouflage.

'09 Aprilia Scarabeo 250 i.e.
Old 01-27-2004, 11:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Looking at the drawing - the Telelever A-arm is WAY short. Hard to tell from the article if the Telelever is being abandoned in favor of standard forks. From the looks of it, unloading the front suspension will give you an oil cooler life of .05 seconds - if that's an oil cooler in the drawing. Maybe fit it vertically - or just liquid cool the engine (appears to be a radiator up front, too). You just can't tell very much from either the drawing or the pics.
If it jams - force it.
If it breaks - it needed to be replaced, anyway...
Old 01-27-2004, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Unless that's a midget driving, that still looks like a big bike.
'02 R
'03 GS S
Old 01-27-2004, 01:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Hi there josey the front suspension will be handled by a Hossack type of suspension(designed by scottish inventor Norman Hossack) and is different to the telelever one on the old rs.The engine will be most defenitly liquid cooled but I suspect they split the radioter in half to make room so the could put the engine lower.http://www.hossack-design.co.uk/

Old 01-27-2004, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Skippy:

After checking out the Hossack site, I can ID the upper A-arm in the drawing. Wonder how it will function in the real world. Looks interesting as all hell.

Thanks for the add'l info; now the drawing makes more sense.
If it jams - force it.
If it breaks - it needed to be replaced, anyway...
Old 01-27-2004, 10:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Personally I think the old K is pretty damn good as a freeway ballistic missile. The extra weight made it feel so planted at high speed. Boosting the HP is all that thing really needed, as well as an S style exhaust. In this new version, I don't quite see how the engine orientation helps in a driveshaft bike. Wouldn't this strip more HP from the rear wheel? Also Telelever is brilliant on the K despite it resulting on a pretty hammered front tyre due to the K's weight... I feel the Hossack suspension (although interesting) isn't really an improvement.

Still... anything that happens with the K in the short term is a glimpse of tech that may be evident in the new S. Interesting times!
Old 01-28-2004, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

well about the Hossack suspension I would say don't knock it until you try it.Most people who drive telelever bikes really love it(me included) but other people who don't are always puting it down.I do think the Hossack suspension is much lighter then the telelever that's fitted now so it should be even more responsive.Also makes you wonder why the new GS doesn't have it.

Old 01-28-2004, 02:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Skippy - I'm eager to learn about the Hossack suspension. I'm definitely not knocking it - I just need to make myself aware of any compelling advantages over my beloved Telelever. So you have ridden on a bike with Hossack suspension? If so what was it like - does it retard diving without loss of "feel"?

PS - checking http://www.hossack-design.co.uk/ is interesting. Looks like BMW's use of it is the real deal.

Last edited by Rattus; 01-28-2004 at 03:10 PM..
Old 01-28-2004, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Dismembered

so what kind of concept bike has a crap bag behind the rider ? Oh, maybe it's the telemetry equipment ? No, it's a makeup kit to fix this ugly monster!!
2012 Ducati Multistrada Pikes Peak (#072)
"It is difficult to get the news from poems, yet men die miserably every day from lack of what is found there" WC Williams
Old 01-28-2004, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Location: While a member here: Japan - Germany - USA - Curently: UK
Quote:
Originally posted by GotRoad?
so what kind of concept bike has a crap bag behind the rider ? Oh, maybe it's the telemetry equipment ? No, it's a makeup kit to fix this ugly monster!!
My guess is that the rear bag is most likely ballast for testing purposes. How the bike handles two-up, materiel /construction durability, suspension evaluations etc. Why would BMW send along an additional evaluator to ride as passenger, when they can add a heavy payload instead? And the looks; It's obvious that the blacked out treatment on the bike is camouflage.
MarkC
Old 01-29-2004, 03:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Rattus
Personally I think the old K is pretty damn good as a freeway ballistic missile. The extra weight made it feel so planted at high speed. Boosting the HP is all that thing really needed, as well as an S style exhaust. In this new version, I don't quite see how the engine orientation helps in a driveshaft bike. Wouldn't this strip more HP from the rear wheel? Also Telelever is brilliant on the K despite it resulting on a pretty hammered front tyre due to the K's weight... I feel the Hossack suspension (although interesting) isn't really an improvement.
The K needed to shed some serious tonnage to liven it up a bit and make front tires last longer than a stick of gum, not just gain some horsepower. Take a half mile off the wheelbase too (might be one of the reasons for trying the Hossack design too).

If you have any doubts about the driveline config....just think FJR1300, or go back to the XS11, etc.
There will be power to spare. This time let's hope they leave room between bore centers to punch the motor out without having to stroke it each time.

Kind of hard to say the Hossack front end isn't an improvement until you've tried it, true? It could be the best thing since sliced bread - and BMW seems to think it's worth the R&D coin.

Plus, it's a clean sheet - something they don't do but every 20 years or so. That's cool all by itself.
Old 01-29-2004, 06:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Ditto most all of what Blakebird said. (and MarkC too)
(my only reservation being the 2 direction changes this layout needs - would be great if BMW felt an enclosed belt were fully up to the task)

OnRoad OffRoad Cycles, Austin, TX: BMW, Ital, Suspension, Electrics
Dealer for K-Tech, JRI, GP Suspension, Penske, Öhlins, RaceTech, Elka, Wilbers, IKON & Works
www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841
Various Formula 5, 6 & 7 championships 2006-2012

A3, Navigator,
Old 01-29-2004, 07:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Hi Rattus I unfortunatly didn't ride a motorcycle with Hossack suspension.However I used to be a bicycle repair man about 13 years ago and have ridden a mountainbike with a similar set up.The main advantages then opposed to a normal suspended front fork where the lack of weight and the stiffness of the system.I think if i look at the drawing closely I think the Hossack suspension will still remain active under breaking just like the telelever.And most likely the amount of dive will be decided by the designers because it is also possible to make a telelever without any dive but BMW decided against it because this causses a complete lack of feel while braking.

Old 01-29-2004, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

An issue I can see is this: The wheels are gorgeous!...VERY tasty, BUT they are obscured from every side. At the rear left by the shaft, from the right by the muffler and up front by the legs and the disks.

Too bad there is no underseat exhaust like the S or F650. Tasty. Tasty. Tasty.

Might look cool naked.
Old 01-29-2004, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

M Logo

This drawing of the new K bike is close to what we will see. The engine configuration is pretty much correct, and so is the Hossack front end and the reversed shaft drive. A little blue and white birdie guardedly confided in me today about this.

Should be interesting, but no way I am trading down for one from my S.

Last edited by UberXY; 01-29-2004 at 06:44 PM..
Old 01-29-2004, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: