Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Angry Vibration

Hi guys,

Wondering whether any of you have a solution for the vibrations felt between 4-5k. The bike is now 12 months old (single spark) prep. Only engine mod includes a full Staintune system and K&N filter. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

PS I understand the twin spark ignition fixes this problem?

Cheers,

Steve
Old 02-03-2004, 03:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
did you remove the cat code plug?

Did you get a carb synchronizer like the twinmax?

Nick
Old 02-03-2004, 03:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Did it vibrate with the stock cat and cans? Maybe you have a mounting issue with the tunes.
Old 02-03-2004, 04:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

As scott said check the 2 little black rubbers which sit in the frame,they wear out aloowing the bracket on exhaust to touch frame.Also the boxer engine aint no smoothy,but you probulary already knew that!The vibes can be subdued somewhat as nitro said,throttle bodies sync and try some bosch platnium plugs.These made a big difference to the way my bike ran.
gus
Old 02-03-2004, 04:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys, My bike has always had these vibrations from new. I checked the cat mtg rubbers when installing the system - they appeared fine. I was told that installing a chip may also sort out the vibes? An FIM chip perhaps - designed for Staintunes?
Old 02-03-2004, 04:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

They vibrate

It gets better with age

The twin spark does not eliminate it.
Old 02-03-2004, 04:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Dusty,

before spending money on a chip, make sure the cat code plug is not there. You can go the cheep way and change the fuel pressure regulator. That is my set up: full two bro, no cat code, K12 reg., no sorkel.

Nick
Old 02-03-2004, 06:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Twinspark may help surging. It has nothing to do with vibration. Most vibration comes from the pistons masses, which you can't (economically) do anything about. A bit comes from differences in combustion. You can minimize those with very even valve adjustments, and a good synch.
Good luck

OnRoad OffRoad Cycles, Austin, TX: BMW, Ital, Suspension, Electrics
Dealer for K-Tech, JRI, GP Suspension, Penske, Íhlins, RaceTech, Elka, Wilbers, IKON & Works
www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841
Various Formula 5, 6 & 7 championships 2006-2012

A3, Navigator,
Old 02-03-2004, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Don't ride it between 4 - 5K!
Old 02-03-2004, 07:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Living on borrowed time!

BMW twins vibrate.....period. They shake like a paint mixer on crack, as far as I'm concerned (coming of 25+years on big jap 4-cylinders the first week with my 'S' felt like an old 400 Maico). Proper carb synch, proper mixture, etc, etc can minimize the issue somewhat, but there's still 2 BIG pistons goin' up and down/ back and forth in there....and no balancer shaft (until a few seeks ago, anyway)

'I am John Andrew Moffett of the Clan Moffat and by god I live, love, seek, fail, grieve and die as I so choose and I call no man master save me'.
Old 02-03-2004, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

carb* sync and 10,000 miles transformed mine

standard set up S Sport, still has a relatively rough patch at 4k rpm but I just live with it.

*there are no carbs but I can't remember what the dealer called it.
Old 02-03-2004, 12:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

anyway I like to feel the engine turning, feels like something's going on -had a go on a friends ZX12R and found the turbine smoothness a bit disconcerting, especially given how quick it spun up.

My R6, whilst smooth is still a beast.

Some vibes are good - they keep you awake and let you know the engine is on.
Old 02-03-2004, 12:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Take a 12 lbs. bowling ball and chain it to the right jug. BMW forgot the counter balancer on this model to counteract the vibration.
Good News though. The counterbalancer has been installed free of charge on the new R motor coming out.!!
Old 02-03-2004, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to RoundelRider
Quote:
Originally posted by Ade
carb* sync and 10,000 miles transformed mine

*there are no carbs but I can't remember what the dealer called it.
Them things are Throttle Bodies!

My guess would be the change in exhaust system. I have changed mine around a bit (full system/cat eliminator only), and it has a horrible vibration at about 4-5k rpm where I also like to ride. I think Im going back to the full system this week.

John
Old 02-03-2004, 06:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to s-addict
bowlings coool...............

Our culture is fixated on Reason, the Sea is fixated on Rhyme.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Thanks guys. I'm not clear as to what the Cat Code plug is where it's located, nor the twinmax synchronizer. Do the Australian models have a cat code plug?

Also a suggestion was to repace the spark plugs with bosch platnium. Is there a specific p/n to suit the R1100S?

Cheers,

Steve
Old 02-04-2004, 01:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Bosch platnium FR 6 DP,These are the best plugs i,ve used in my bike.In my opinion,they made my bike run better.
gus
Old 02-04-2004, 03:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Where'd you guys get your twinmax?

how about never, does never work for you???
Old 02-04-2004, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Kam,
E-mail me offline about a twinmax. I've got a practically brand new one (used once) stored away in the garage I can send you.
Old 02-04-2004, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

adventure motogear or Aerostich/riderwearhouse

OnRoad OffRoad Cycles, Austin, TX: BMW, Ital, Suspension, Electrics
Dealer for K-Tech, JRI, GP Suspension, Penske, Íhlins, RaceTech, Elka, Wilbers, IKON & Works
www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841
Various Formula 5, 6 & 7 championships 2006-2012

A3, Navigator,
Old 02-04-2004, 06:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: