Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

two close calls in one morning commute...

while i thought i would stretch the R6's legs this morning for a cold-ass ride in, as luck would have it, i was handed two ass-puckering moments all in the course of 25 miles and 45 minutes of a commute.

recently mounted new sportecs to the R6 so trying to get them scrubbed in prior to the track day and get used to swapping out the series 60 front for the series 70 front (raised the fork tubes up a bit and all).

just crossed the memorial bridge and heading round the lincoln monument. it is a traffic circle that you hit and actually turn left into a clockwise rotation, but then have two point turn turn off to the right. dropped it in like normal (for a sub-30 degree morning) and made it around the first bend...then along came the second, down shifted leaned left...slide slide slide slide, jersey barrier and curb getting uncomftably close. some how, out of shear luck or something, i managed to pull out the sweetest slide the rear out turn like the pro's. mind you completely unintentional and more than happy to have kept the rubber side down. immediately after making the turn, i say to myself.."self", "yes", "that my friend is what happens when you push new tires on a cold ass day." at which time i progressed at a more conservative pace.

24.5 miles of a 25 mile commute have elapsed and i am 4-5 blocks from the capitol bldg. traffic along constitution most closely resembles the chaotic streets of some densely populated small city in far off places where, in spite of travel lanes, no one adheres strictly to the paint on the tarmac. at several points along the way, lanes are turning lanes and/or continue straight after the intersection. often times people are moving along briskly and will see traffic stopping and throw their vehicle into the other lane to maintain momentum...sure we have all done something to the effect. thankfully riding bikes has calmed my driving a tad. as you can imagine where this is headed...some moron throws his car into my lane from the left...we are travelling the speed limit believe it or not...but his impatience just about sent me into his car. thoughts of how slippery were these new tires flashed back into my brain. grabbed the clutch and firm on the front brakes. had he hit his brakes for anything there would have been some sort of contact. between him continuing forward and me being able to actually keep control of the bike...constitution has these terrible deformaties from all the heavy ass traffic during the summer months. the ruts are well over 12" wide and many inches deep with irregular lines so your front end, even while under power, likes to wander heavily.

needless to say i revved the engine, he moves over another lane, hoping realizing the error in his ways, i get right next to him, slow show his i think he is number 1 and call him a very complimentary name. he kinda waves back and i really wish i couldhave stopped him and asked if he loved his job so much that gettign there meant more than any to him...would you even kill to get to work???

i like my job, but i wouldn't do that.

repoe3
2004 R1100SBX
Old 04-06-2004, 02:43 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Repoe and everybody else,

It occurrs to me that because this is spring many drivers are not used to having us (more of us) around. At the same time now that we are riding more all of a sudden (those of us up here in the Norte where it still feels like winter) our sleepy senses are not up to speed yet.
I love it when I can take one split second look at a car or more accurately at the driver inside a car and say that guy will do this or that and I am right!

Also I noticed that most of my close calls are when I am riding along minding my own business not speeding or doing anything crazy. Not that I ever do anything crazy but you know what I mean. When I ride on the edge I guess I am HYPER ATTENTIVE to any potential danger.

Finally good to hear that you did not mess up your R6 or yourself!
Old 04-06-2004, 03:26 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

thanks...i concur with your comments completely...your recent experience also flashed through my brain this morning.

repoe3
2004 R1100SBX
Old 04-06-2004, 03:36 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Dude, I was thinking about riding over today but brought the beater instead. Once you cross over into the district, all normal rules and ways of driving are out the window. I like to think of DC as a place where all of the crappy drivers from all over the world "COME TO LEARN HOW TO DRIVE" cause that sheet they are doing ain't real driving!!!

And those new and especially cold tires will bite ya! Ya know that exit off 395 onto King street? I did a similar thing there back in Feb. Scared the be-jesus outta me.....

Well off to get the new ride today! SO there will be a little red sweety in the garage when you come over!
2006 Husqvarna SM610
2011 Beta 300 Trials/74 Suz RL250/71BSA250Trials
Old 04-06-2004, 03:39 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
unsafe at any speed

Glad you are OK.
1969 BSA StarFire
Old 04-06-2004, 08:02 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Bad week to ride, with the change to Daylight Savings time. Total accidents are up 7% or something like that this week, as everybody is up an hour early, in effect. Bad drivers, with less sleep...
Old 04-06-2004, 06:55 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

thats why ariszona rocks....we never change the freaking time around here....

Rider
Old 04-06-2004, 07:03 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: