Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Stock suspension settings

I am curious. For those of you still running stock suspensions what settings are you using?

I am 5' 10 and about 195#. I just went to hard minus 5 clicks for the front, 2 turns from hard on the rear preload, and 1/4 turn from hard on the rear rebound. Prior to that the bike wallowed in bumpy turns: every thing was way too soft. Now the wallow seems to have gone away.

Book settings recommended at hard minus 6 clicks on the front; a couple of turns from soft on the rear preload, and 1/2 turn from hard on the rear rebound.

Old 08-09-2004, 06:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Jack, it sounds like you have a good handle on the settings you need already. Keeping the bike from getting squirmy is the main objective as far as I'm concerned too. For some, plushness is the main goal, but Id rather live with a slightly stiffer setup that stays in line at speed. As you start to creep up on the maximum settings for the stock shocks you might consider some new or aftermarket replacements. The stock shocks were never very good at handling sharp impacts, but as long as they are not wallowing on you they should do fine. Trust your instincts on the settings, there are no absolute right adjustments for every bike and every shock as they start to wear. Just make sure that your in corner bump handling isn't so stiff that the bike no longer tracks turns well. The stock shocks have fairly stiff compression settings and will get harsh quickly as the rebound settings approach the maximum.

'98 R1100S - Triple Clamps, 10mm Shortened Telelever
2007 Ducati S2R1000, 2008 KTM 990SDR
Old 08-09-2004, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by motoyoyo
... As you start to creep up on the maximum settings for the stock shocks you might consider some new or aftermarket replacements. ...
A set of either Wilburs or Ohlins are on my to-do list when the stock shocks finally give up the ghost. My son's Suzuki 600 race bike has a suspension which seems pretty compliant when on the road. That may have changed now that he is doing some track days but the ride used to be better than the S.

I have not tried to measure the actual preload to see if the sag is within the rule of thumb one hears bandied about, i.e., one-third of total suspension travel at each end.

In the couple of magazine articles I read regarding S suspension setup it seemed that the harder it was set up the better the writer liked the bike.

So, I wondered what the hardcore guys here did with theirs.
Old 08-09-2004, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

not sure if i qualify as "hard core", but i got rid of my stock units (long version "Sport" shocks from '01) in favor of Ohlins rear/Wilbers fornt. so much better. mine had 14K when i dumped them. could not eliminate the wallow/wobble without making it too harsh.
FWIW- i ran preload full soft, 1/4 turn on rebound rear, front full soft. don't wait for the stock units to wear out- just replace them. if you are a discerning enough rider to be dissatisfied, then it is time for them to go.
2009 F800GS. has a better saddle. and other stuff. (sold)
2016 R12GSW 3Black. wow.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Keep in mind that getting the correct spring rate for your weight is probably more important than getting the perfect setting on the dampers.

If you have springs that are too soft (which is likely unless you are under 140 lbs with the stock springs), getting the sags to measure right will end up with way too much preload, which causes compliance to suffer and overall suspension action to be too stiff.

Plus, the front-to-rear balance will probably be off because one end will be too stiff and the other too soft. I have done some sag setup on some R1's and found the fronts to be waaaayyy soft and the rears waaaayyyy hard. ZX10's the same, but the Honda's just the reverse, stiff front and soft rear. Go figure...

Stiffer srpings with less preload will be far more compliant and easier for the wimpy stock shocks to try to control, although they will likely have too much compression damping that you cannot get rid of.

Obviously, switch both (shocks and springs) will result in the largest gains in ride and handling.

YMMV, and all of that (says a very satisfied Ohlins owner).
03 BMW R1150GS
01 BMW R1100S (sold)
01 KTM Duke II (for sale)
Old 08-10-2004, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Agree with all of the above, except of the stock rate. It's quite a stiff spring already, and is easily good for folks up to 160-175lb, unless very often riding two-up.

OnRoad OffRoad Cycles, Austin, TX: BMW, Ital, Suspension, Electrics
Dealer for K-Tech, JRI, GP Suspension, Penske, Íhlins, RaceTech, Elka, Wilbers, IKON & Works
www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841
Various Formula 5, 6 & 7 championships 2006-2012

A3, Navigator,
Old 08-11-2004, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Barback King

ohliees

Hey Rog, I'm leaving on my trip in about an hour.
I've got my city bags, a lite Wunderlich tailpack and small tankbag,
How many turns on my Preload on the Ohlins?
I set it at about 14 out from full last night. Sound about right.
Me 170# plus gear.
Old 08-11-2004, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Hard to say without knowing your spring rate, actual sag, or position of the spring perch. I'd in any event add about 4-6 turns to whereever you normally ride when not loaded with luggage etc. Should keep you in hte ballpark sag wise

OnRoad OffRoad Cycles, Austin, TX: BMW, Ital, Suspension, Electrics
Dealer for K-Tech, JRI, GP Suspension, Penske, Íhlins, RaceTech, Elka, Wilbers, IKON & Works
www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841
Various Formula 5, 6 & 7 championships 2006-2012

A3, Navigator,
Old 08-11-2004, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: