Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

I made a big mistake today

I rode a R1200GS. It was the best bike I've ever been on. The S is still a better sport touring bike but the GS does everything else so well. Toured better than the RT. The wife liked it lots and wants to ride on the back of one on a regular basis. Egads, what to do?

When I ride alone, there is no better bike than my S, it is, after all, the bestest sport touring bike in the world. The GS is the bestest all around bike I've ever ridden (which makes it the best in the world). It tours, sport tours, and gets at least a little dirty. I know it's no KTM but try getting the wife on the back of one of those...

The GS felt goofy in corners after coming off the S but once used to the different riding position I think it will be quite good.

So.... I can only own one bike

Old 08-12-2004, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Funny, but I have been thinking a lot about the new GS too. I'm going to give it at least another year, so they have time to exorcise the inevitable gremlins that ship standard with the new GS.

Plus that buys me time to change my mind 88 times.

Still very happy with the S, though.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Re: I made a big mistake today

Quote:
Originally posted by smallj
So.... I can only own one bike
seel the zuki, your car, and take the insurance money left over, (if any) and but the GS and keep the S...there, see that wasnt so tough. or you could push your relationship to the limits and buy it anyway.

repoe3
2004 R1100SBX
Old 08-12-2004, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I feel your pain.

I made the mistake(?) of riding an R1150GS Sport and bought it on the spot. It does not have the top end rush of the S, but it does everything else better.

I really love my R1100S.

It's a really great bike (20k miles, f/r Ohlins, zTechnik Exh, SJ InDuct, K&N, Vanderlinde chip, 5.5 rim, system cases w/City lids, Wunderliche tailbag, BMW tankbag, stock tour and short Cee Bailey screen, above-clamp bars, must be something I'm forgetting).

All it needs is a new owner that can give it the riding time it deserves.
03 BMW R1150GS
01 BMW R1100S (sold)
01 KTM Duke II (for sale)
Old 08-12-2004, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
I have to confess, I have "stepped-out" on my S twice. Test rode a R1200GS and fell in love with it. Later that same week, rode an ST4s and fell in love with it too. Could not think of leaving my S for another, though.
Keep hoping the new S, when it comes, will be even better.

'09 V-Rod Muscle, '06 K1200S, '04 Aprilia Futura
'04 BMW BCR (sold)
Old 08-12-2004, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

The GS is good 1150 or 1200.I also bought one(R1150GS) signed the papers and all but because of some things going bad on what the dealer promised the deal fall through.Now I'm sticking with the S and don't even dare to test ride the new R1200GS cause I know it will be good but the only dealer in the neighbourhood is the one that tried to f!@# with me on the last deal and I'm not setting a foot in there again.If you put some bridgestone bt 20 on the GS the handling must be really awesome and not far of the S's handling.But Smallj you got to keep in mind that the S is much sexier and the new 1200 gs is having some teething proplems right now so stick with the S and decide over a year if you still want it.

'09 Aprilia Scarabeo 250 i.e.
Old 08-12-2004, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

On a Ride

Having a GS next to the S in the stable, I've come to enjoy how the GS can do much well, but I've also determined it isn't as much fun as a purposeful bike. I keep the GS for all the dirt forest roads here in the Rockies, but if I want to sport tour, carve the corners, go far, etc, I've found other rides are more fun and special. But this is me.

At the Top of Guanella Pass #1

At the Top of Guanella Pass #2

GS Streaming Video (Gourmet Dinner Ride)

Old 08-12-2004, 08:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: