Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

ohlins installation problem

i took delivery of an ohlins rear shock today, for my 04 S. from what i can see, it looks like the remote preload tube has been installed on the wrong side of the shock. kyle racing is telling me to buy a wrench or send it back to ohlins. does anyone have a photo of a correctly installed rear shock? i want to be sure this is the case before i send the shock off. is ohlins customer service reliable?

Old 08-26-2004, 06:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

like so.....
2009 F800GS. has a better saddle. and other stuff. (sold)
2016 R12GSW 3Black. wow.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

thanks for the photo. thats the way i tried to install it. now the question is: does the remote adjuster tube come out of the side of the shock toward the front of the bike like mine does? or does it exit on the rear side of the shock?
the way it is on the front side of the shock, it is pinched. it looks like it should exit in the rear.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

mine comes out on the right rear (the fat silver tube just to the left of the cannister), but Rotten's comes out on the left rear side. if i'm correct, the gold collar (and thus the preload hose) can move once the spring is compressed and pressure is removed from the system. try contacting Lindemann's for info, they know these things well. and if kyle racing knows of a wrench that will let you adj the preload collar that doesn't require compressing the spring first (off the bike)- well, I WANT ONE!!
2009 F800GS. has a better saddle. and other stuff. (sold)
2016 R12GSW 3Black. wow.
Old 08-26-2004, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

This is how mine mounts.

03 BMW R1150GS
01 BMW R1100S (sold)
01 KTM Duke II (for sale)
Old 08-27-2004, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

thats just what i thought. mine was located up next to the frame and pinched the tube. i just sent it back to ohlins to have it moved. whats another 17 bucks for shipping!
thanks for the replies.
Old 08-27-2004, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Barback King

not again...

I have a friend that had the same thing happen on his new Ohlins rear...what is up with that?
The preload cable was indexed so that there was no clearance. Had to send it back also...
Pic of mine outta the box (correct config).

Old 08-27-2004, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: