Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Talk Less, Say More

Location: Moab Utah. Home of wierd red & orange radioactive stuff...
Garage
All you bike camping folks

I'm curious what you travel with when traveling light on your bike.

Particularly:

Tent type: packed size & weight

Stove: White Gas, Propane, or other like Powermax..

Sleeping bag.

Other information if you feel its useful.

Interested because now everything seems to be on sale and I want to get a setup together by spring for the bikes.

Or do you just stay in motels? I do that a lot but got real bored at the Top of the Rockies last year.

Old 11-03-2004, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Thread Killer

I've heard the "Aerostitch Lightweight Touring Book" is excellent:

http://www.aerostich.com/riderwearhouse.store on page 2 of 11.
Old 11-03-2004, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I used to camp on the bike, and sometimes enjoy it, but, the extra crap you have to lug around, and all the time spent packing and unpacking, and the sometimes wet weather (after you've already been riding in it for hours), and even more time spent making/breaking camp, is just work, and not riding. I figure I lose at least 2 hours of riding and/or relaxation everyday I bike camp, and then have to tote all that crap around too. Plus, all the crap you have to buy can pay for a fair number of el cheapo motel rooms. Or maybe I just had enough time playing boyscouts in 4 years each of the Army and the guard, especially back in the 101st. Bleecchhhh.

OnRoad OffRoad Cycles, Austin, TX: BMW, Ital, Suspension, Electrics
Dealer for K-Tech, JRI, GP Suspension, Penske, Íhlins, RaceTech, Elka, Wilbers, IKON & Works
www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841
Various Formula 5, 6 & 7 championships 2006-2012

A3, Navigator,
Old 11-03-2004, 12:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I use a sierra designs 3D 20/40 bag, I have a top case, so I can get away with some 22" pole-sectioned tents, something with a "patio" zip area is nice to put your gear. If you want lighter weight, get a 12" pole-section tent, it will be much lighter. I usually buy food and wood when I get to a campsite, but I want to start bringing a smallist propane stove. Hell, MREs can work just fine in a pinch. Compression sacks are your friend!

I also have the BMW Scuba-material Roll bag, 52L of waterproof, rubber-sealed-zipper carry-on.
- 1995 Triumph Daytona 900 (For Sale!)
- 1985/86 GSX-R 750 (Track bike in progress)
Old 11-03-2004, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

If you travel with your wife, like I do, and she has the 1150 GS, this is what we bring.
2 Fold up chairs, inflatable queen size mattress+ compressor, lantern, flashlightlights, 3 big sleeping bags, large cooler, small stove, pots and pans,6 man dome tent etc etc you get the point.At the Finger lake rally I even saw people who load even more on than we do!
I would have to say that during any camping trip we were not wanting.
Oh yeah,, fishing gear too!
Old 11-03-2004, 01:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Living on borrowed time!

I second the 'roger albert' method here. I never wanna sleep in a tent again (although I do it at Laguna, the bathroom/shower is a short walk away), and I never want to go more than a day without a shower again. I spent enough time putting up and taking down SICPS to thoroughly hate anything remotely related to 'roughing it'.....gimme the ritz carlton or motel 6 and a real bed as opposed to a pad and bag. double-bleeeeeccccchhhhhh

'I am John Andrew Moffett of the Clan Moffat and by god I live, love, seek, fail, grieve and die as I so choose and I call no man master save me'.
Old 11-03-2004, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

I'll join in with the "hate a tent" crowd.
But if you really want to enjoy a Rally, you almost have to pitch a tent there. I'd get a good 3 season tent like a Eureka dome. Make sure it's rated for about 2 or 3 more people than will be in it. Must use midgets for their "people capacity".
Get some travel bags from Helen Two-Wheels. Tons of room and water proof. Get a Kermit folding chair and a cheap air mattress. Chunk the mattress when it gets a leak and buy another one. Wal-Mart's a good source. Forget the stove, most Rally's either supply a Friday night stew and a Saturday night dinner. The rest of the meals you'll be out riding anyway. When you pitch your tent, grab the first picnic table you can find and put your stuff on it so you can claim it.
As much as I hate sleeping in a tent, like I said, to really enjoy a Rally you almost have to pitch a tent.
Old 11-03-2004, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
unsafe at any speed

No tent will ever offer the comfort of a motel. No motel will ever compare to the great outdoors when it comes to clearing your head from the stress of life and work. Besides my "S" I also dual sport ride.
I don't like to be uncomfortable so I bought premium gear, and honestly enjoy camping. Same thing with riding gear. with proper clothing and electric gear you can ride in inclimate weather and still have fun. With good camping gear you can get a good nights rest. I use a Kelty 2 man tent, a thermorest guidelite series sleeping pad, and a mountain hardware 20 degree bag. If your going to a rally then cooking is usually not an issue but when ridng in wilderness areas, or if you just want to cook as part of the adventure, I use a single burner that screws on a propane tank. They are cheap and easy to use... last thing you want to do is hassle with malfunctions. REI and Campmoor has close-out sales. Buying the gear is half the fun. When riding my dual sport I use a Sealine Kayak dry bag. Everything fits in it and one fish net bungee holds it on the rear rack. When on the "S" I have the full size system cases that have ample room for my stuff. Most wives are not keen on camping, something to consider if you are bringing your significant other.
info sites
http://motorcycles.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?site=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bmwmoa.org%2Fcam ping%2Fcamping.htm

http://www.wetleather.com/reference/camping.html

Last edited by wswartzwel; 11-03-2004 at 02:55 PM..
Old 11-03-2004, 02:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Re: All you bike camping folks

I like camping quite a bit, and so long as I build it in as part of a trip, I don't consider it wasting time. Making miles on the slab I stay in hotels.

Climate-wise, you live in roughly the same part of the world as I do which is a real treat for camping (I camped in Alaska a lot, whole different game). When either backpacking or camping on the bike, I go as light as possible... and given that it rarely rains, that's been a good strategy for me.

If you want to camp in the Pacific NW in winter, I'd change almost everything I'm about to offer.

> Tent type: packed size & weight

If I don't plan hang around camp, I take only a waterproof bivy sack, which weighs about a pound. And then I only use it if it rains, mostly I sleep out under the stars.

If I am going to count on tent time and I am solo, I bring a small 2-person tent which works well for just me. Either a Clip Flashlight which weighs under 5 pounds or a North Face elongated dome (forget the flavor) but it has more room and probably weighs an honest 6.5 pounds.

> Stove: White Gas, Propane, or other like Powermax..

I own about 5 camp stoves, it's sick. I usually throw in a bottle of white gas and a Whisperlight.

> Sleeping bag.

A 15 degree down bag; my current favorite (I have maybe 4) is a Mountain Hardware, though I'm not all that brand loyal. Something where the skin repels a bit of water is nice. It weighs just over 2 pounds, compresses to very small, and lofts beautiful. No synthetic can match down for weight, warmth, and loft. If you expect to be in the rain a lot, synthetic is better.

> Other information if you feel its useful.

A good quality ground pad is a necessity. I like Therm-a-Rests and usually take the smallest when on the bike. Other bits I drag around are a nice headlamp, a candle lantern, camp pillow...

I too stuff it all in a waterproof duffle (with my raingear) and it fits nicely across the seat and bags on the S.

Happy to help with specifics if you'd like.

Old 11-03-2004, 02:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Re: All you bike camping folks

Quote:
Originally posted by ckcarr
I'm curious what you travel with when traveling light on your bike....
Geez... camping on a bike is not traveling light for me because I like to be comfortable.

I carry a really big tent; a Hilleburg Keron 4 GT with an extra footprint. The tent is about 10# and the extra footprint is another 1.5#. It is huge with two vestibules one of which is large enough to use a Kermit camp chair in. Warm and dry and lots of room to move around.

Here is the link:
http://www.hilleberg.com/

My sleeping bag is a Western Mountaineering Sequoia MF down bag good to about 5 degrees.

Here is the link:
http://www.westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=Products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&cat=Microfiber%20Series&viewpost=2&ContentId=39

For the ground under the bag I use a big thermarest.

The stove is a tri fuel from MSR.

I pack the tent in a Helen2Wheels bag and the thermarest and the sleeping bag go in a medium sized Helen2Wheels Dry Bag along with some sleeping/around camp fleece stuff.

Here is the link to Helen2Wheels:
http://www.helen2wheels.com/

I carry my clothes in one of her small or medium clothes bags. And if I have a lot of other stuff I use a Ventura Bag on the rack.

Here's a few photos of the bike packed in various configurations. The snowy one was on the way to Daytona Bike Week (Its the only one I have with the Ventura Pack); the others are on the way to or coming back the MOA National in Spokane. In one you will see a H2W drying pack (mesh bag). Finally there is one of tent set up next to the bike for some idea of scale.
Old 11-03-2004, 04:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
No Info on (t)his member

Garage
Yup. The hardbags unlock, and walk right into the motel/hotel.
Life is good.

jeff
82 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce
Old 11-03-2004, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

If I'm staying in one spot for more than a day or 2, I like to camp. Otherwise, I will camp, but I tend to prefer hotels.

That said, when I camp I like to be comfortable, but there is no way I can tote as much stuff as jackbunce . That's just too much.

Here's a typical setup for me at a rally.

I use a 2-man tent so I have room for the gear.

I also like the Kelty Noah's Tarp to keep the sun off me while I'm relaxing.

Like others, I use a Thermarest, but I don't skimp. I go for a long thick one. Don't bother with one of the short ones. I don't think they make sense. It's not like you are saving that much room.

As for food, I don't bother cooking. Just ride to where you want to eat. It does cause a little trouble at times if you are enjoying an adult beverage or two, but pre-planning goes a long way.

Good luck with your search for gear. Go slow. It may take some trial and error, but if you move slowly and do a lot of research, you should be fairly pleased with the gear you initially purchase.

Here's a view of my old RT fully packed. Definitely go with kayaking dry bags. They can't be beat.

Old 11-03-2004, 05:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I do alot of hiking along the Appalachain Trail in NY and NJ and if anyone's ever been up there you know years of abuse by campers and such have created "NO CAMPING" zones at many of the prime spots and overlooks. You also would know that the rocky terrain makes finding both a flat, stakable spot with a good view nearly impossible. Then my bud found a guy out in western Canada making and selling hammock tents. He even had ones made out of camo material!! Our prayers were answered with the hennessey hammock 2.5. Weighs 2.5 lbs, has a full rain fly and can be set up between 2 trees anywhere from 10-15 ft apart. So if you're going anywhere on your bike where you know you'll find trees, consider a hammock tent--I'll vouch for the fact they are comfy. too. First night in mine and I snored like a sonofagun. Maybe the Jack Daniels had something to do with that come to think of it..... Anyway, this ain't no sales plug---just passing a good tip. Take it from the original stealth campers--the hennessey hammock is unbeatable for staying out of Mr. Park Ranger's nosey patrols....www.hennessyhammock.com

This is a shot of mine without the fly on:
Old 11-03-2004, 06:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Talk Less, Say More

Location: Moab Utah. Home of wierd red & orange radioactive stuff...
Garage
Thanks for all the replys so far, its given me some good ideas. Keep em' coming, especially the pictures so I can study the setups. I like that Kelty Noah's tarp setup too. Wouldn't have thought of that. Hennessy Hammock won't work as well here - No trees!

I do have a full assortment of full sized camp gear I just throw in the Jeep already. But its bigger and cumbersome. I'm trying to put together a sleek package of stuff I can keep in a duffel and take to those rallys on the S and also oddball places on the F650. Yes I do like motel camping too, hot shower, bed, and TV! Especially half deserted fleabags where you can sit outside the door drinking a beer. But sometimes you want to be in the center of activity - like the rallys.

And as Weinershnitzel said, buying the gear is half the fun... when you can surf Campmor or REI Outlet and find things 70% off just cause its last years model you can end up with a ton of stuff. Best part is its returnable.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I use an REI 2 man tent but I must say, I spent this last weekend on the Buffalo River (AR) in a GOLITE 2 man single walled tent and i was impressed. It rained like crazy for 2 days and we stayed very dry. Think Im going to get me one of those.

Sleeping bag- Colman Peak 1 for summer, North Face Cats Meow for colder stuff.
MSR Wisperlite stove and fuel bottle. White camp fuel.
Therm-a-rest air pad with the foam inside of it.

I do alot of backpacking. From the Grand Canyon to Canada and my thinking when I plan a trip on the bike is would I carry this in the canyon 5 miles a day? If I wouldnt, it doest go with me on the bike.

T

R.I.P. #74 Kato Daijiro 1976-2003 Moto GP
R.I.P. #1 David Jefferies 1972-2003
R.I.P. #3 Joey Dunlop 1952-2000 Isle of Man TT.
R.I.P. Shannon Nunley 2005

03 BCR #125 of 200
Old 11-03-2004, 10:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Ok I use motels once in a great while, more as I get older and now have more $. That said I always feel like the trip ends or is interrupted when I check into one. If I wanted to look at TV and four walls I would stay home. Some of my best trip moments are while camping. I also like the independence and ability to stay any place that looks good. My ***** now is that I like to take two riding suits for hot(vented) or cold.

Tent:

I use a Kelty tent(windfoil?) like their Creston 2 but mine is older and has sleeves instead of clips. Kind of small(must have understanding wife or cute girlfriend) but I really like the extra length of these designs. Light, easy and quick to put up, only two pegs. I also like all the screening so it has a good view and I only use the fly when it rains.

http://www.kelty.com/Kelty/index.cfm?fuseaction=Tents.Home

Bag:

I have used the same Northface Ultralight for 30+ years. It is down, warm and packs very small with a compresser sack.

Here is the bike packed with the gear for the wife and I plus a small cooler for the group. The wife rides her own bike and carries her clothes.

Bike packed for solo trip.

Also it is always a good idea to take along a nurse.

Old 11-03-2004, 11:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

I'll ring in with my pack list as well.
1. An Ortlieb dry duffle to hold everyting that is too big fit in the hard cases.
2. Aerostich compression straps and strap loops to tie the sucker down.
3. An aerostich web bungie system ovet the top of the whole mess to hold things like a water bottle and sandles. This also allows me to "dry-out" a few items while I'm traveling.
4. In the bag goes a 3 man Mountainsmith tent (must be for 3 small men). It has a vestibule for the gear. A Thermarest pad for my back. I too go with the long one. A Thermarest sleeping bag good for 30 degrees. A ground cover for the tent. An finally a couple of changes of clothes.
5. In the hard bags I have a small propane stove and a nesting pot set. I do not cook food but need coffee in the morning. I also have a minimal tool set and a spot of oil.
6. Add to the list all of the basic camping needs like matches, flashlight, a Touratech lamp with a 12' cord for reading in the tent, a dop kit, various bottles of dish soap, sunscreen etc.
Here is a photo of the rig loaded for bear. I'm surpised to see that no one has addressed the mounting technique used to get on these bikes with a full load. It is something you want to practice. On my last trip we were laughing our asses off at each gas stop as our group would take running starts to get a leg up and through the small space between the tank and the bags on the pillion spot!

-john
This one was taken in front of the R&R hall of fame in Cleveland.
Old 11-04-2004, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by buckeyeRS
... I'm surpised to see that no one has addressed the mounting technique used to get on these bikes with a full load. It is something you want to practice. On my last trip we were laughing our asses off at each gas stop as our group would take running starts to get a leg up and through the small space between the tank and the bags on the pillion spot!
It is just something that is not spoken about in polite company.

If I put it on the centerstand I can usually get on easily or, if really tired, by using my hand to lift my foot up high enough to get over the seat. Then it is a struggle to get it off the centerstand without just riding it off.

The real problem is when it is on the sidestand and I try to get off. Makes a lot of people laugh. Especially when its cold and dark and you have just ridden 800 miles or so. Fortunately I was a judo player for a few years so I can do a fair tuck and roll while emitting a very loud noise.

Getting on when on the side stand is interesting too. You sort of have to get your center of mass past the center of the seat before swinging your leg up and over the packs. If you aren't quite sucessful then the bike slowly rolls over onto its left side... it seems to happen in slow motion, doesn't do any serious damage to the bike, but, it is necessary that lots of people have clear sight-lines to the whole event for it to happen.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Living on borrowed time!

Hey RB, are you a micapeak subscriber/wetleather member? That shot of you and your wife looks like the gather at Crescent Lake in '00.....

'I am John Andrew Moffett of the Clan Moffat and by god I live, love, seek, fail, grieve and die as I so choose and I call no man master save me'.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

JoyRR:

Actually no on a couple of issues. Not a member, not my wife,
not Cresent Lake and not '00. My wife(also a nurse) and I were riding with her best friend(in scrubs) and her husband. We had camped at Windy Point on Hwy. 12 near Naches in '03. This is our nursing crew, wife on right this time.

RB

Old 11-05-2004, 10:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: