Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

new r11 owner

Just wanted to inroduce myself,I had been away from riding for about 15 years,but after a recent move to the western suburbs of philly,and access to some decent roads i decided to get back in to it.I picked up a used '99 rt about a year and a half ago,great bike but i'm not doing the kind of touring i thought i'd have time for.With four kids i don't know what i was thinking .So after a test ride,I went and traded in my '99 rt for a 04 silver S after seeing the deal BMW was offering.The bike is in a crate waiting to get put together.I'm hoping to have it next week.This site has been a wealth of info for me,i'm sure i will have lots of questions for you guys.My only concern with the bike is the bar location,with a bad shoulder i might want to try some bar risers.I saw someone on the site makes and sells a nice looking pair.I made a similiar set out of titanium several years ago,but it's next to imposible to get machine time where i now work.I think i still have the Mastercam file for them if there are any other toolmakers out there.Hopefully,if any one is local i'll get a chance to meet some of you.

Old 01-16-2005, 05:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Thread Killer

Welcome to the board, dabrow! You'll certainly enjoy your new ride, it's a wonderful bike.

We'll be happy to get you started with your new questions. One thing I'd like to propose is to consider breaking it in harder than the owner's manual says. I have never been a proponent of this until I had this bike, but I think some "tough love" is required to properly seat the rings and avoid oil consumption for up to 20K miles. Let's see what the others say...

Rapid Dog makes some excellent risers. Do a search for "bar backs" on the lower right corner of the forum home page. There's tons of info there under all topics, too.

Again- welcome!

Last edited by Steve Carlton; 01-16-2005 at 06:11 AM..
Old 01-16-2005, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Steve,
thanks for the welcome, i checked out the bar backs and they look nice.The set i made were for a triumph sprint st, but the design is similair.I think i'll put some miles on first to get used to the new ergos.i'm sure coming from the rt,the s is going to feel like a 916.
Old 01-16-2005, 06:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
i'm with steve: choke that thing after a few miles.
i broke mine in by totally ignoring all the warnings and just riding it. within 100 miles, it was treated like any other bike.
it doesn't eat oil and runs nice and crisp. i've tried other "S" models that have been babied when broken in and they've felt kind of "sluggish".
the bmw folks put a reasonably light oil in the bike as delivered. once you blast through that stuff (600 miles or less), let that thing rip and it'll be happy for many miles to come.
....brad
Old 01-16-2005, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

If you find that leg room is a little cramped (which it might be if you are as chronologically gifted as some of us), try the Suburban Machinery peg lowering kit.

Made a world of difference on mine.
03 BMW R1150GS
01 BMW R1100S (sold)
01 KTM Duke II (for sale)
Old 01-16-2005, 07:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

i only rode about 70 miles on the demo i had and didn't feel too cramped.I guess i'll know for sure after a longer ride.I'm only 5'10",so i'm hoping i won't need them.Do the brake and shifter have to be lowered along with the pegs?
Old 01-16-2005, 08:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Flog it like a borrowed mule. I beat the crap out of my GS from day 1 and no significant oil use. Now I have 12k on her and I will be going to synth next oil change.
Old 01-16-2005, 11:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

i'm 5'10", 30" inseam. bike fits me beautifully well. stock clip-on bars, stock peg position.
fwiw- the Sub Machines peg relocators move all linkages along with the pegs- but i doubt you'll need them, unless you've got legs.
2009 F800GS. has a better saddle. and other stuff. (sold)
2016 R12GSW 3Black. wow.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

i'm glad to hear that i won't have to baby the bike when new .I read an article on the bmw sport touring site about break in , and i think if i followed those procedures i would have been to old to throw a leg over the bike before it was finally broken in.
Old 01-16-2005, 12:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

I went to Jr. High in Lansdale, High School in Abington and University at Drexel. Where are you living?
Paul. '04 R1100S w/Íhlins an' stuff, '09 Buell 1125cr, '08 Suzi SV650A, '00 Suzi SV650, '97 328i (with sticky ass tires - I love this car even though its just a car). And the bikes I used to own: '68 Bultaco 100, '69 Honda CL450, '71 Kawasaki Mach III, '71 OSSA Pioneer, '72 Honda MR175, '72 Benelli 250, '75 Yamaha RD350 (then college), '83 Honda VF750F (then kids),'96 MZ Skorpion, '99 R1100S, '01 SV650 and '94 Honda VFR750F - most wrecked.
Old 01-16-2005, 04:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

Send a message via AIM to SergioK Send a message via Yahoo to SergioK
Re: new r11 owner

Quote:
Originally posted by dabrow
I made a similiar set out of titanium several years ago
Wow! Those musta been pretty cool looking.

Welcome to the R1100S... every time I ride mine I'm thrilled with it. (although I am kinda new to the bike as well)
Old 01-16-2005, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Barback King

Welcome dabrow.
I have one set waiting with your name on it when your ready.
Ride it, get the feel, then decide.
The Suburban pegs are an excellent alternative for bad knees I might add...
Old 01-17-2005, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

Here's a couple of valuable sources of info:
1 - To download a BMW Repair Manual:
Click on: http://wijhenke.net/
Then click on R1100S Tech
Then click on Manuals & Brochures
Then click on S Manual PDF
Download and printout for reference
2 - To find out part numbers:
Click on: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do
Enter the last 7 digits of your VIN
3 - Online source for BMW parts at a 20% discount:
Click on: https://chicagobmwmotorcycle.com/2frames/2frame.html
4 - Here's a place to download Valve Adjustment For Dummies....

Hope this helps you enjoy a great machine!
Old 01-17-2005, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

Here's the link to #4....
http://www.advrider.com/Wisdom/OVADv2.1.pdf#search='bmw%20valve%20adjustment%20for%20dummies'
Old 01-17-2005, 09:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

pwillikers,
I went to G.Washington high in scenic N.E. Philly,i now live in Downingtown.I can get to some great roads in Lancaster county in about 15 minutes.My older brother went to Penn so i spent a lot of time around university city growing up.
Rapid Dog,
I'm hoping to get the bike this week,and maybe put some miles on this weekend,if my bad shoulder bothers me i'll definetely take you up on the risers.We do our own anadizing in house and i was thinking of anadizing them black to match the existing risers.I did the same with the Titanium set and they looked great.Thanks to all for the responses.

Old 01-17-2005, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: