Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Gadget Mount Ideas / Questions

Greetings all. Long time lurker, and recent purchaser of an '02 S. Love the bike, and it makes a terrific stablemate to my GS Adv.

I've been reading through a lot of posts concerning mounting a V1 and GPS to the S, and came up with a simple and inexpensive solution. I had a couple mounting spacers made up to attach to the brass fork tube bolts. M8-.75 on the bottom portion and M6-1.0 on the top.

The spacer is 1/2" stainless, and screws down to the "bolt" portion of the brass screw. Are these brass screws strong enough to handle the stess from the spacers shifting under load? I do not want the brass screws to shear, obviously.

I was thinking of adding a length of 1.25" aluminum bar, similiar to the Martin Fab radar mount. It would look something like I did with my GS.

On the GS I used a couple RAM mounts with two (of the eight) bar clamps bots. The GPS / V1 are very rigid with this set-up, no noticeable vibration from either unit. My concern with the S is the added distance between the mounting screws. I'm afraid I'll get too much play. Thoughts?

Finally, I was thinking this might be more secure.

The bar mounts could slide all the way down to the top of the fork legs, eliminating any back and forth stress on the brass screws. The 1/2" bar RAM mounts (seen at the bottom of the picture) could then be positioned anywhere along the bar with a good 270 degree rotation.

What do you think? I'd appreciate any feedback on potential problems or suggestions for improvement.

Thanks.

Old 06-30-2005, 06:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Uh....who me?

Hey Bruce...I think you've got some nice stuff there, you might want to consider increasing the OD of the mount that screws into the brass fitting to give the mount stability. Here's what I did for a radar detector mount.
fwiw.
Old 06-30-2005, 07:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
unsafe at any speed

I really like your mounting system... is there room to get the key in and out??? did you make those brakets or buy them somewhere?

Old 06-30-2005, 08:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Bob,

How do you attached the radar unit? Just curious... Looks good.

Wswartzwel,

The pieces are all stock store bought pieces with the exception of the screw-on "risers". The original piece comes M6 at one end and M4 at the other. They did the M8-.75 per my request. All they make however is 1/2". I'd like to get it wider like Bob suggests, but they do not offer the bar any wider than that.

If it works, and if there is any interest, I was going to see if they could do a special price on a few sets. It should be in the $50 range for all the parts if anyone is interested.

And the key does fit, the angle of the picture is deceiving.

I tried the same set-up on the GS, but did not like the looks. The black rod holders were too close together and really looked out of place. The parts kinda blend in better on the S. I'd like to get rid of the thumbscrews to clean it up a bit...
Old 06-30-2005, 10:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
...elica rossa...

Garage
...Bob & wswartzwel ; you both forgot something important !
...first we say hi to a new forum-member...

...so Bruce : we say hi !

Ron.

R1200S + R1200RT

Last edited by RoLoo; 07-01-2005 at 06:25 AM..
Old 06-30-2005, 11:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Uh....who me?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BruceLaQuinta
[B]Bob,

How do you attached the radar unit? Just curious... Looks good.

I just showed the stalk...here's the rest of it posted on an earlier thread.

Old 07-01-2005, 04:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

unsafe at any speed

Hi Bruce!!!

I have a lathe so I can make my own, Just needed a good idea to steal!!! Thanks for the pics and welcome to the board!
Old 07-01-2005, 06:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Barback King

welcome Bruce....we need more Californians on this forum!
Old 07-01-2005, 07:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

Send a message via AIM to SergioK Send a message via Yahoo to SergioK
Re: Gadget Mount Ideas / Questions

Quote:
Originally posted by BruceLaQuinta
On the GS I used a couple RAM mounts with two (of the eight) bar clamps bots. The GPS / V1 are very rigid with this set-up, no noticeable vibration from either unit. My concern with the S is the added distance between the mounting screws. I'm afraid I'll get too much play. Thoughts?
Welcome Bruce!

I too am using a V1 and eMap... although this shows just the eMap:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/bmw-r1100s-r1200s-tech-forum/202418-garmin-emap-v1-users.html#post1720066

I later added the flat platform they make and ended up using both the V1 and eMap side by side:

I like your setup though... you are able to tilt each unit to the best viewing angle.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Living on borrowed time!

Hmmm...I guess if you want all that stuff out there and really visible. Mine is on top of my tankbag under a flap of cordura and I use a legalspeeding HUD to see the blinky-lights until I can look down at the arrows. that way it's also *kinda* water-resistant. At least it's quick enough to sling a tankbag cover over. Out there in the breeze, a val1 is pretty vulrnable to moisture. I asked the mfgr. about water exposure and they told me 'you're on your own; this isn't a motorcycle radar detector' (I REALLY wish they'd make a MC-specific model...maybe if enough people asked...)

'I am John Andrew Moffett of the Clan Moffat and by god I live, love, seek, fail, grieve and die as I so choose and I call no man master save me'.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Barback King

I think Cycle Gadgets has waterproof RD enclosures....
Old 07-01-2005, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

Send a message via AIM to SergioK Send a message via Yahoo to SergioK
If there's a hint of rain, I really don't need radar protection... I need a different type of protection.
Old 07-01-2005, 08:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Living on borrowed time!

well, with the weather the way it's going in this land of hydroplanes, forests, psycho killers and misty days, I'm gonna need my rainsuit for the ride down to Lag-uuu-nnaaa. Man, I hope it doesn't rain for MotoGP....laguna 82 rained so fracking hard, it was a frog-strangler all the way up 101/5 back to Zeeeattle

'I am John Andrew Moffett of the Clan Moffat and by god I live, love, seek, fail, grieve and die as I so choose and I call no man master save me'.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Barback King

ain't gonna rain...gonna be fog inna mornin' and get hot by race time...gonna be awsome...oh, and JRR, you forgot one thing...the slugs....
Old 07-01-2005, 12:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Barback King

...an don't forget your sunscreen...you can buy it in California...
Old 07-01-2005, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Living on borrowed time!

Iza-got some aready, spf30 sports stuff, no-washee-offee in a-sweat. If we meet at the trak, I'd liik to buy U a beer. I think we'lll have an....'ample' supply, and no light stuff neither. Do most cali supermarkets have a gud beer selektion? something like a double-bock or triple-bock maybe?

Old 07-01-2005, 01:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Living on borrowed time!

or maybe just make margaritas.....hmmm. Now I'm thinking about that touratech 12V blender....

Old 07-01-2005, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
unsafe at any speed

Quote:
Originally posted by JonyRR
or maybe just make margaritas.....hmmm. Now I'm thinking about that touratech 12V blender....
I misjudged you Jony.. I figured you would drink straight from the bottle.... and maybe chase it with beer... never guessed you would be drinking all sophisticated and mixed like that....

Last edited by wswartzwel; 07-01-2005 at 02:11 PM..
Old 07-01-2005, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Living on borrowed time!

Me, Bill? A heathen? ME? All sophisticated 'n evrythin cause I lives inna Nothweast where mikrasaoft is n' stuff..
I gots a mortgage higher'n the GNP of most 3rd-world countries; I can spell glenlivet and glenfiddech (although they taste like lighter fluid), 'n I make my margaritas with tres generaciones tequila....hic!
Yeah. I'm mentally in 'vacation mode' already....and I can see the hockey gear bags in the back of the pickup trucks heading south from the Canadian border from my office window.....

Old 07-01-2005, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

2-stroke blenders are the way to go

OnRoad OffRoad Cycles, Austin, TX: BMW, Ital, Suspension, Electrics
Dealer for K-Tech, JRI, GP Suspension, Penske, Íhlins, RaceTech, Elka, Wilbers, IKON & Works
www.ororcycle.com

CMRA EXPERT #841
Various Formula 5, 6 & 7 championships 2006-2012

A3, Navigator,
Old 07-01-2005, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: