Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Extra Fuel Cell

I love riding my R1100S on long rides--except for the small gas tank, the bike is great! Anyone know if there's someone making a fuel cell that can be added to this bike?

Thanks.

Old 08-02-2005, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to 718Rider Send a message via Yahoo to 718Rider Send a message via Skype™ to 718Rider
Search the forums. This has been discussed extensively and there should be a bunch of photos as well.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
unsafe at any speed

pmc847 was selling them I believe
Old 08-02-2005, 01:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Here is a link to the aux tank that I made and use (crash tested too).

Aux Fuel Tank

This only works if you don't have ABS.

Philip
Old 08-02-2005, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

OK, but I have ABS. What options do I have?
Old 08-02-2005, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Underwater basketweaver

Send a message via AIM to SergioK Send a message via Yahoo to SergioK
Titanium/Gasoline combo any issues

You can probably get about 10 miles with the 33oz container.
Old 08-02-2005, 06:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to rottenbiker Send a message via Yahoo to rottenbiker
My dealer installed a extra fuel pump and a very nice switch with a quick connect for a 3 gal fuel cell I can mount on my Ventura rack inside a bag so it is not visible. I used it in the IB rally in '03
Old 08-02-2005, 07:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by rottenbiker
My dealer installed a extra fuel pump and a very nice switch with a quick connect for a 3 gal fuel cell I can mount on my Ventura rack inside a bag so it is not visible. I used it in the IB rally in '03
That's the ticket.
Who's 3 gal. fuel cell did/do you use, Marsha?
IOW's, who made it?
Have more info, please?...like pics?
Can you or JAS take some pics/send us some info?
Ventura system is sweet, eh?
- - Don R. 1994, an excerpt from My Ass From a Hole in the Ground - A Comparative View
Old 08-02-2005, 08:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

YES, I'd like to have more details!
Old 08-03-2005, 03:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Here is the guys name I got the cell from it is plastic type so weight is not an issue. I came up with my own way of strapping it onto the rack and I turn the rack around so weight is over the seat. Ventura sponsored me on the '03 IB and their system works very well with this cell. I am in the process of moving right now so you will have to wait for pics, but here is one as it was set up during the IB. It looks nicer in the bag( their large square one fits it with a little room to spare for extras. The guys name is Bill and his email is lilrcherri@aol.com

Last edited by rottenbiker; 08-03-2005 at 04:38 AM..
Old 08-03-2005, 04:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

So Phillip, are there any aux tanks available now? How about an update.
Old 08-03-2005, 06:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Sorry, no more available. The project was fun and kept me occupied over the winter but not worth $ or hassle to make every now and then.

Philip
"It's a great bike but I can make it better".

04 R1100S BCR # 195
03 R1100S BCR #44 R.I.P. new home with 'onekiwi'
Laser Exhaust
InDuct
SJ PowerFilter
Laser 2 spark Chip
Ohlins
Sargant Seat
Throttle bodies matched to rubber mounts matched to heads
Exhaust pipe welds ground down
Aux Fuel Tank (6.8 gallons total)
Old 08-03-2005, 06:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
I emailed the guy who came up with the idea of how to plumb and wire for extra pump and fuel line set up, so with his plans just about anyone could set up whatever size fuel cell, and when you don't need it it can be removed and stored and extra hose tucks in and is hidden beneath back of seat . All I do is flip the switch it pumps all the fuel down into my reg tank and then I shut it off and I am good to go.

Last edited by rottenbiker; 08-31-2005 at 06:11 AM..
Old 08-03-2005, 07:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Are you going to post the plans on this site?
Old 08-03-2005, 01:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

piping schematic wanted

Are you finished moving yet? kind off expected that you run this yrs IBR...

getting ready to run the Canada quest and the issue of fuel range keeps coming up, so would you be kind enough to post a schematic for the auxillary tank piping tie-in. suspect it shouldn't involve much more than a "T" and quick disconnect fitting...

thanks
Old 08-30-2005, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Yes just finished getting settled, No time to run the IB this yr....although my 2 youngest sons and I are thinking about a ride in '07 IB. The guy who did my bike set it up with extra fuel pump, switch (nicely mounted) and an easy to use in dark quick connect. His name is David and he works for Cliff's BMW in Ct
Old 08-31-2005, 06:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

This is how far I recently went with the extra cell tank.

Still had .12 gallons left. (didn't refill extra tank as it was coming off for a few weeks). Probably could have gone another 4 miles! Maybe.

-Eff
Old 06-23-2007, 04:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

I've gone 268 miles and still had .8 gallons left with my setup. It's comforting to know that I have that much range especially when we are riding out west.

Philip

Old 06-23-2007, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: