Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 2- BMW Forums > BMW Technical Forums > BMW R1100S / R1200S Tech Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

flat prevention

Has anybody tried any of the tire sealants like Slime or PJ1 balance plus? are they worthwhile or do they just make a mess of your rim. I read somewhere but I don't remember where, that they are not recommended in high performance tires. Is this true or not? thanks Jeff
Old 04-23-2000, 01:50 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Oh yeah, I am going to rush out and put something called "Slime" into my $14000 BMW. Then I figure I will call Earl Scheib for a paint job.

Don't forget to add STP to your oil
Old 04-24-2000, 06:45 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

This is just anecdotal rather than scientific, but I've _never_ heard of using slime on a hi-perf road vehicle. The stuff is actually very effective for off road type
use and is very common with dirtbikes and atvs etc. For Roadbikes, I'm skeptical. It would have to add to unsprung and rotational masses, and increase heatbuildup. At best, your balance would remain ok. Anything less than perfect distribution though, and balance would be impacted. It _seems_ like a lot more room for minuses than pluses for use
on your S.

Just my opinion.
later
roger
Old 04-24-2000, 02:57 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Roger, good points. Thanks Jeff
Old 04-24-2000, 06:23 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
never2old I hope

A friend of mine put some kind of compressed foam stuff he purchased in a mini-mart in his front tire on his 650 BMW. He road it around the parking lot a few times then waited about 15 minutes before departing on a fully inflated tire. He got about 20 miles down some twisties and was unaware that the tire was loosing preassure until it rolled off of the rim in a fairly fast turn. Needless to say he went down hard. I don't think he will be using any kind of that of stuff again. I know I won't.

------------------
Gary
Old 04-24-2000, 07:02 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Also keep in mind that if you have to use a can of "fix-a-flat".(which i have carried on trips before)when you get ready to mount a new tire some dealerships will charge you to clean out the crap off the rim before they will install a new tire.Nothing will piss off a mech. more than busting a tire and having to clean it off the rim inorder to make sure that the tire will balance...
Old 04-24-2000, 08:17 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to EDWARD SIMONIS
The thing about tubeless tyres is that you don't know that you have picked a nail till the next day. When go out too the shed and see your flat tyre. Best to get it pluged at a bike shop or use your bmw repair kit too get you going, if there's no shop handy.
Old 04-25-2000, 04:06 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Old 04-25-2000, 04:06 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: